Ancient Buddhist statue 3D-printed in China

cirr

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
Ancient Buddhist statue 3D-printed in China

361308_Worker-scan.jpg

A worker scans a statue of Qianshou Guanyin in Dazu County, Chongqing on April 18, 2011.

Sun May 4, 2014 8:42PM

Using 3D printing technology, a replica has been created of an 800-year-old Buddhist statue to help restore the historical monument.

The 3D-printed Qianshou Guanyin or Thousand Hands Goddess was made in 1:3 proportion to the original, which was carved out during the Southern Song Dynasty on Mount Baoding in Dazu County.

"Now this white Buddha image you see is a 3D model we made by means of modern 3D technology, or three-dimensional laser scanning. The model will provide us with a scientific reference for restoring the main statue," said Chen Huili, deputy director of Dazu Cultural Relics Protection Project.

The restoration project, dubbed "China's No.1 rock heritage preservation project," kicked off in April 2011 and is expected to complete next year.

Ten 3D-printed buildings have also been put on display in Shanghai, built by using a mixture of sand, concrete, and glass fiber as ink.

At a cost of 20,000 to 30,000 yuan each and intended as offices, the structures have been erected in suburban Qingpu District without using any brick, tile, or sheet metal.

The structures can either be printed on site or assembled from pre-printed walls, with the material being produced in a fully-digital way through a central computer system. The walls are hollow inside, and can be filled with anything the owner wants.

HN/HN

PressTV - Ancient Buddhist statue 3D-printed in China

126285814_13951893855151n.jpg

Last edited:
I heard that Chinese people still celebrate folk religious events, even though they are atheists.

Do you atheist Chinese celebrate any folk religious events?

I heard that Chinese people still celebrate folk religious events, even though they are atheists.

Do you atheist Chinese celebrate any folk religious events?

Loads.

Every year I pay respects to my Ancestors on the Qingming Festival. (Ancestor worship).

Mid-Autumn Festival, everyone celebrates that. Everyone celebrates Chinese New Year too.

Me and my family used to climb a mountain during the Chung Yeung Festival every year (not anymore).

Dragon boat festival every year.

And loads more. I have a statue of Guanyin in my house actually. Even though I'm an Atheist.

My household is pretty much atheists but we have:

Guanyin statue
Buddha statue
Ancestral shrine
Paper wards and luck charms

Plus we do the usual like Chinese Dragon minus dragon boat and mountain pilgrimages.

All Chinese pretty much go through the same rites, even after living in foreign countries.

I want to know what this thing represents.

medium_5824280602.jpg

Nice. :woot:

I'm an Atheist like cirr, but my family are Chinese Buddhists. Though in practice it is more like Chinese folk religion.

Guanyin is a good example of a merger between Chinese Taoism and Chinese Buddhism.
What about worshipping Guan Yu? Is that considered Taoism?

Nice. :woot:

I'm an Atheist like cirr, but my family are Chinese Buddhists. Though in practice it is more like Chinese folk religion.

Guanyin is a good example of a merger between Chinese Taoism and Chinese Buddhism.

I was told i'm a reincarnation of one of the deities :D

What about worshipping Guan Yu? Is that considered Taoism?

taoism and buddhism according to wiki

Last edited:
I know some Chinese fiends who go to Buddhist temples and at the same day to a church and at home have a ancestor shrine where they burn some incenses in the morning and in the evening. They think the more gods they pray to the more chances that one of them would give them a helping hand. You couldn't be more pragmatic or opportunist depending how you look at it. LOL

Back
Top Bottom