What's new

An Insight into Al-Khalid II MBT.

The best that China has to offer will be here soon....u never know our guys might be putting it through trials in china as we speak
I believe that is how its done. First do trials there and then bring it here to test as per our conditions, environment conditions related tests are what matters for us here.

so these oplot-p's so there just to replace the type 59/69. how many type 59/69's are in pakistani service?
also is it true pakistan purchased some 250 t55 from serbia?

is the oplot p only a replcement for the typr 59/69 or is it the new al haider or is the alhaider the replacemnt for the type 59/69?

what about the al zarras when are they going? and being replaced with what?
The total number of Type 59/69 stands around 1000. Many have been upgraded to Al-Zarar standard but many remain as it is. I wont term Oplot as a "replacement" of any particular system sins the number that are likely to come wont be enough for a one on one replacement. The main reason of this deal to me still is the engine most likely. It is to make the deal of engine ToT sweet and we need that engine for our own programs.

I am not sure about the Serbian tanks, there were news appearing on the internet regarding that but on ground i am not aware of any tanks coming. I think it was false.

@Dazzler may have more to share with us!

Dazzler, why Chinese not sending t99 for trials ??

It is not allowed for export just yet. And PA didnt ask for it as well. From subsystems, armor to transmission/ engine, both tanks share a lot of commonalities. However, many t-99s to lack a proper ECS which the VT-4 has since birth. The same goes for thermal imagers, both have uncooled one, the thermal imager was among the systems that didnt last long during trials.

The total number of Type 59/69 stands around 1000. Many have been upgraded to Al-Zarar standard but many remain as it is. I wont term Oplot as a "replacement" of any particular system sins the number that are likely to come wont be enough for a one on one replacement. The main reason of this deal to me still is the engine most likely. It is to make the deal of engine ToT sweet and we need that engine for our own programs.

I am not sure about the Serbian tanks, there were news appearing on the internet regarding that but on ground i am not aware of any tanks coming. I think it was false.

@Dazzler may have more to share with us!
ok so theres about ~1000 tanks that need replacing. it would be quiet interesting to see what they will be replaced with.

if pakistan is buying the oplot-p only for the tank dont you think they would have to negotiate a separate deal for tot for the tanks.
personally i would put the 1500hp engine in the ak2 and buy oplot-p cots and locally so there's 2 type of tanks with similar capabilities.

@Dazzler @Arsalan @DESERT FIGHTER what about the type 85ap? will they be replaced any time soon.

so these oplot-p's so there just to replace the type 59/69. how many type 59/69's are in pakistani service?
also is it true pakistan purchased some 250 t55 from serbia?

is the oplot p only a replcement for the typr 59/69 or is it the new al haider or is the alhaider the replacemnt for the type 59/69?

what about the al zarras when are they going? and being replaced with what?

The chances of oplot making it into PA ranks r very slim.....the reasons for this I have stated above.

All type t55/59/69 have been or are in the process of being handed to F.C.

Nothing final about alzarrar except the fact that it's reached end of the line.

It is not allowed for export just yet. And PA didnt ask for it as well. From subsystems, armor to transmission/ engine, both tanks share a lot of commonalities. However, many t-99s to lack a proper ECS which the VT-4 has since birth. The same goes for thermal imagers, both have uncooled one, the thermal imager was among the systems that didnt last long during trials.

It is the Chinese that came with the offer

ok so theres about ~1000 tanks that need replacing. it would be quiet interesting to see what they will be replaced with.

if pakistan is buying the oplot-p only for the tank dont you think they would have to negotiate a separate deal for tot for the tanks.
personally i would put the 1500hp engine in the ak2 and buy oplot-p cots and locally so there's 2 type of tanks with similar capabilities.

@Dazzler @Arsalan @DESERT FIGHTER what about the type 85ap? will they be replaced any time soon.

And why would you want two different tanks with similar capabilities?? :what:

Again, as per some latest reports and chatter, Chinese have given the green light and T99 may well be clear for export to us now. Let see!

Again, as per some latest reports and chatter, Chinese have given the green light and T99 may well be clear for export to us now. Let see!
increase numbers quicker, zaslon aps, easy logistics as the t80ud already in service

id ljust like to know what will happen to the type 85's?
Most likely to be transferred to other services like FC. These were more like stop-gap measures. Not sure if they have a future as MBT with PA.

Most likely to be transferred to other services like FC. These were more like stop-gap measures. Not sure if they have a future as MBT with PA.

They will remain in service, technically they did get the same AL-ZARRAR electronic upgrade package where it was technically possible.

The T-85IIIAP is stationed all over Pakistan, I have seen pictures of this Tank presented in Peshawar, Lahore, and Taxila. It is was also used extensively in the desert.

My logic conclusions, is that NOW since we have inducted ca. 400 Alkhalids, the half of the T-85IIIAP units are concentrated in Sindh with Alkhalid (they can share the same logistics, ammunition, items etc. which save maintenance and logistical time, and the other half in Punjab to boost the Type-59IIM and Al-zarrar formations, while the home of the T-80UD remains Multan. I could be also wrong and Pakistan Army is using the PANZER KEIL tactic. where an attack regiment is formed with a mix of old and new Tank!

The panzer Keil is an offensive formation used by armored corps. The tanks would form into the wedge-shaped formation, with the most heavily armed and armored Tanks forming the tip, that is the Al-Khalid and T-80UD Tanks, T-85IIMP upgraded the base (where available), with the Al-Zarrar the wings.

follow that topic from 2013!

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/t-80...ng-with-al-khalid-and-al-zarrar.256619/page-2

Last edited:
Isnt the vt-4 supposed to be more modern and advanced than type-99????

Check that, T-85 was developed with Serbian assistancep :
T85 III

Last edited:
They will remain in service, technically they did get the same AL-ZARRAR electronic upgrade package where it was technically possible.

The T-85IIIAP is stationed all over Pakistan, I have seen pictures of this Tank presented in Peshawar, Lahore, and Taxila. It is was also used extensively in the desert.

My logic conclusions, is that NOW since we have inducted ca. 400 Alkhalids, the half of the T-85IIIAP units are concentrated in Sindh with Alkhalid (they can share the same logistics, ammunition, items etc. which save maintenance and logistical time, and the other half in Punjab to boost the Type-59IIM and Al-zarrar formations, while the home of the T-80UD remains Multan. I could be also wrong and Pakistan Army is using the PANZER KEIL tactic. where an attack regiment is formed with a mix of old and new Tank!

The panzerkeil is an offensive formation used by armoured corps. The tanks would form into awedge-shaped formation, with the most heavily armed and armoured Tanks forming the tip, that are the Al-Khalid and T-80UD Tanks, ,T-85IIMP upgraded the base (where available), with the Al-Zarrar the wings.

follow that topic from 2013!

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/t-80...ng-with-al-khalid-and-al-zarrar.256619/page-2
Gujranwala/Rahwali is also one of T-80UDs permanent home.

Back
Top Bottom