What's new

Amid tension 60% selected BSF officers refused to join service

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
16 of 28 selected as BSF officers decline to join
This comes in the backdrop of growing tension on the border with Pakistan and the controversy in the BSF following a video uploaded by one of its jawans.

Written by Deeptiman Tiwary | New Delhi | Published:May 7, 2017 3:38 am
pathankot-bsf759.jpg

Border Security Force (BSF) soldiers patrol the border fence. (PTI Photo)

At a time when paramilitary forces are facing a shortage of gazetted officers, almost 60 per cent of officers selected for posting in the Border Security Force (BSF) have refused to join this year. This comes in the backdrop of growing tension on the border with Pakistan and the controversy in the BSF following a video uploaded by one of its jawans.

Twenty eight candidates who qualified in the 2015 UPSC examination — held for posts vacant in paramilitary forces — were selected for the post of assistant commandant in the BSF in 2017. However, 16 of them refused to join despite the risk of being barred from appearing for paramilitary post exams ever again.

The figures fit the pattern of BSF’s poor intake over the last couple of years. In 2016 (UPSC exams of 2014), 17 of the 31 selected officers joined training. The same year, those who appeared for the 2013 UPSC exams also joined the force. But only 69 of the 110 selected officers joined and of these, 15 resigned during training.

BSF currently has a vacancy of 522 gazetted officers (Assistant Commandant and above) against a sanctioned strength of 5,309, according to the Home Ministry.

While almost all the candidates were civil services aspirants, a majority had given their first preference as CISF. Many of the candidates who refused to join this year told The Sunday Express that second-class treatment meted out to paramilitary forces as compared to the armed forces and reports of stagnation of career, particularly in the BSF, were among factors that influenced their decision.

Vivek Minz, one of the selected officers who didn’t join, said: “I didn’t get what I wanted. My first option was CISF but my rank was poor so got BSF. Had I qualified for CISF, I would have joined. I was prepared for it.” Minz is also appearing for the civil services exams and becoming an IAS officer is his “primary goal”. He said he appeared for the paramilitary exams as a fallback option.

“CISF would have given me metro or city posting and I would have continued to prepare for the civil services exams. This is the only force which has not veered away from its core mandate. All other forces, be it BSF, CRPF and ITBP, would have been problematic,” said Minz, who is from Jharkhand.

For most of the candidates, a post in the paramilitary forces meant the “safety” of a government job even as they kept trying to become IAS or IPS officers.

One candidate, who didn’t want to be identified, said: “In all these forces, all the top posts are held by IPS officers. As a BSF officer, I can never rise to the top. I have even heard that there is a serious stagnation of career in the BSF. Many officers don’t even reach the level of commandant by the time they retire and even the pay is not upgraded in a time-bound manner.”

Rajasthan resident Puneet Mehta, however, was just not prepared for a “tough job” that the BSF would have meant. “I did not join because I did not get CISF, my first choice. While BSF is a good force, I am not mentally prepared for a job on the border with no modern civic amenities. I am still hoping to get through civil services.”

For another officer, hailing from Punjab, however, lack of parity with the Army was an issue. “There is no problem with the job. After all, it’s a government job which you rarely get. But there is no parity with the Army. It also does not earn you as much respect in society as the Army. The job is so tough but there is no recognition. They are confused for Army people. They don’t even get martyr status when they die. Even when you are getting married, people prefer an Army groom to a BSF groom,” he said.

Most of these candidates had seen the videos the now-dismissed BSF constable, Tej Bahadur Yadav, had posted, in which he spoke about the allegedly poor-quality food served in the force camps.

As far as Tej Bahadur Yadav’s videos are concerned, I feel there should be a mechanism to vent out frustration and air their grievances. It should not be aired through social media. There should be a system in place to sort out issues,” said Minz.

For Jalandhar resident Prabhadeep Singh, however, the BSF was his only choice; yet, he didn’t join. “My first preference was BSF as I was not aware of the other forces. I am from Jalandhar and the BSF has an establishment there. My college was near the BSF camp and I saw it as a good job option. But I am preparing for the civil services and I wanted some more time before joining the BSF, but they didn’t grant me the extension. I thought if I join now, I would have to train for a year and then it would be difficult to pursue civil services.”

Deepak Borse from Maharashtra too said his aspirations of a career in the civil services had come in the way of his joining the BSF. “I am currently working at SBI. I am preparing for the civil services and appeared for the paramilitary exams as a fall-back option. I have no problems with BSF, but I want to attempt the civil services once more.”

When asked about people not joining the force, the BSF spokesperson refused to comment. A senior BSF officer, however, said, “BSF, CRPF and ITBP have some of the toughest postings. Among them, the BSF and CRPF are in war zones. That is why they are not the first preference for most candidates. Many also see the forces as just another government job, since they do not command the same respect as the Army. But for us, if a candidate is not mentally prepared for the BSF job, it’s better that he does not join us.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/16-of-28-selected-as-bsf-officers-decline-to-join-4644257/

This comes in the backdrop of growing tension on the border with Pakistan and the controversy in the BSF following a video uploaded by one of its jawans.

pathankot-bsf759.jpg

At a time when paramilitary forces are facing a shortage of gazetted officers, almost 60 per cent of officers selected for posting in the Border Security Force (BSF) have refused to join this year. This comes in the backdrop of growing tension on the border with Pakistan and the controversy in the BSF following a video uploaded by one of its jawans.

Twenty eight candidates who qualified in the 2015 UPSC examination — held for posts vacant in paramilitary forces — were selected for the post of assistant commandant in the BSF in 2017. However, 16 of them refused to join despite the risk of being barred from appearing for paramilitary post exams ever again.

The figures fit the pattern of BSF’s poor intake over the last couple of years. In 2016 (UPSC exams of 2014), 17 of the 31 selected officers joined training. The same year, those who appeared for the 2013 UPSC exams also joined the force. But only 69 of the 110 selected officers joined and of these, 15 resigned during training.

BSF currently has a vacancy of 522 gazetted officers (Assistant Commandant and above) against a sanctioned strength of 5,309, according to the Home Ministry.

While almost all the candidates were civil services aspirants, a majority had given their first preference as CISF. Many of the candidates who refused to join this year told The Sunday Express that second-class treatment meted out to paramilitary forces as compared to the armed forces and reports of stagnation of career, particularly in the BSF, were among factors that influenced their decision.

Vivek Minz, one of the selected officers who didn’t join, said: “I didn’t get what I wanted. My first option was CISF but my rank was poor so got BSF. Had I qualified for CISF, I would have joined. I was prepared for it.” Minz is also appearing for the civil services exams and becoming an IAS officer is his “primary goal”. He said he appeared for the paramilitary exams as a fallback option.

“CISF would have given me metro or city posting and I would have continued to prepare for the civil services exams. This is the only force which has not veered away from its core mandate. All other forces, be it BSF, CRPF and ITBP, would have been problematic,” said Minz, who is from Jharkhand.

For most of the candidates, a post in the paramilitary forces meant the “safety” of a government job even as they kept trying to become IAS or IPS officers.

One candidate, who didn’t want to be identified, said: “In all these forces, all the top posts are held by IPS officers. As a BSF officer, I can never rise to the top. I have even heard that there is a serious stagnation of career in the BSF. Many officers don’t even reach the level of commandant by the time they retire and even the pay is not upgraded in a time-bound manner.”

Rajasthan resident Puneet Mehta, however, was just not prepared for a “tough job” that the BSF would have meant. “I did not join because I did not get CISF, my first choice. While BSF is a good force, I am not mentally prepared for a job on the border with no modern civic amenities. I am still hoping to get through civil services.”

For another officer, hailing from Punjab, however, lack of parity with the Army was an issue. “There is no problem with the job. After all, it’s a government job which you rarely get. But there is no parity with the Army. It also does not earn you as much respect in society as the Army. The job is so tough but there is no recognition. They are confused for Army people. They don’t even get martyr status when they die. Even when you are getting married, people prefer an Army groom to a BSF groom,” he said.

Most of these candidates had seen the videos the now-dismissed BSF constable, Tej Bahadur Yadav, had posted, in which he spoke about the allegedly poor-quality food served in the force camps.

As far as Tej Bahadur Yadav’s videos are concerned, I feel there should be a mechanism to vent out frustration and air their grievances. It should not be aired through social media. There should be a system in place to sort out issues,” said Minz.

For Jalandhar resident Prabhadeep Singh, however, the BSF was his only choice; yet, he didn’t join. “My first preference was BSF as I was not aware of the other forces. I am from Jalandhar and the BSF has an establishment there. My college was near the BSF camp and I saw it as a good job option. But I am preparing for the civil services and I wanted some more time before joining the BSF, but they didn’t grant me the extension. I thought if I join now, I would have to train for a year and then it would be difficult to pursue civil services.”

Deepak Borse from Maharashtra too said his aspirations of a career in the civil services had come in the way of his joining the BSF. “I am currently working at SBI. I am preparing for the civil services and appeared for the paramilitary exams as a fall-back option. I have no problems with BSF, but I want to attempt the civil services once more.”

When asked about people not joining the force, the BSF spokesperson refused to comment. A senior BSF officer, however, said, “BSF, CRPF and ITBP have some of the toughest postings. Among them, the BSF and CRPF are in war zones. That is why they are not the first preference for most candidates. Many also see the forces as just another government job, since they do not command the same respect as the Army. But for us, if a candidate is not mentally prepared for the BSF job, it’s better that he does not join us.”

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/16-of-28-selected-as-bsf-officers-decline-to-join-4644257/

Indian Forces are facing serious issues internally there bollywood thrash talk only looks good at screen but does nothing good in reality. The rising rate of suicide in them also endorses this fact

Whose forces are stretched or facing issues internally is well known these are people who just gave entrance paper there is also physical test ,they all have career aspiration in civil service ,to join them with suicide is ludicrous even there are events of suicide in US army BSF is largest border force with 250000 personnel from just around 10 battalions in 1971 it has grown exponentially it also has its own artillery wing ,these feel good thread are of no use

Whose forces are stretched or facing issues internally is well known these are people who just gave entrance paper there is also physical test ,they all have career aspiration in civil service ,to join them with suicide is ludicrous even there are events of suicide in US army BSF is largest border force with 250000 personnel from just around 10 battalions in 1971 it has grown exponentially it also has its own artillery wing ,these feel good thread are of no use
Those are your wild imaginations, even if one believes in your ludicrous claims, still there's no resentment in Pak forces neither there are videos being released on social media.

Officers are selected to para-military forces I.e CISF, ITBP, BSF and CRPF through CAPF exam conducted by UPSC. Majority of candidates appearing for this exam are mainly civil service aspirants as the syllabus for CAPF exam and civil services exam is nearly same as both are conducted by UPSC.
So candidates who don't have aptitude for uniform job treat it just like any other government job for backup if in case they fail to clear civil services exam.
That's why they don't join the services even after getting selected.

I personally know many candidates who choose Income Tax or excise inspector job over Assistant Commandant in BSF, ITBP or CRPF.

Indian Forces are facing serious issues internally there bollywood thrash talk only looks good at screen but does nothing good in reality. The rising rate of suicide in them also endorses this fact
A poster of your level coming out with this quality of post.go through the suicide rates in armies around the world and compare.most of sucides in indian army are coz of matrimonial issues.

Video was released by one bsf jawan out of more than 250000 jawans on duty ,i know pakistani will cling on it as it increases their already low morale, resentment against Pak Army can be seen in lal masjid and their followers which are in millions

Too many choosh suicide then face Pakistan's SSG

Fake hindutva bravery is no substitute for the real thing
As I said earlier on other thread don't abuse religion to prove your point, same thing you can express with better words without hurting religious sentiment since Hindus not only live in Indian but also live in Pakistan.

Video was released by one bsf jawan out of more than 250000 jawans on duty ,i know pakistani will cling on it as it increases their already low morale, resentment against Pak Army can be seen in lal masjid and their followers which are in millions
Same argument could apply on demolition of Babri Mosque.

A poster of your level coming out with this quality of post.go through the suicide rates in armies around the world and compare.most of sucides in indian army are coz of matrimonial issues.
I agreed on that in any where in the world suicide were happen due to personal issues rather than service life but I must say in trouble areas like Kashmir stress of duty could be a factor.

As I said earlier on other thread don't abuse religion to prove your point, same thing you can express with better words without hurting religious sentiment since Hindus not only live in Indian but also live in Pakistan.

Same argument could apply on demolition of Babri Mosque.
WTF ? it is always police not military at the babri structure that was UP Police and don't babri to lal masjid ,you sound like a dumbass first read about both of them

When you are done with creating multiple IDs, then you may find there are dozens of such videos.
There's no issues with LaL Masjid after removal of some misfits, it's running as normal.
Low moral is when you have to show enemy's Pigeons as a trophy and create surgical strikes circus to convince the Junta.

They all don't belong to BSF and Army at all the Central armed police force personnel has grievances but it doesn't mean they join enemy forces just like what ex PAF personnel Adnan Rashid did

Nothing wrong. as the article states most preffered CISF over BSF.
Anybody with Half a brain would prefer CISF over BSF as the posting would be metros and large cities and allowances will be higher.

Actually we are proud of the very low suicide rate in the Indian military as it is lower than suicude rates among many first world armies like USA, Canada, Israel etc.

They all don't belong to BSF and Army at all the Central armed police force personnel has grievances but it doesn't mean they join enemy forces just like what ex PAF personnel Adnan Rashid did
Forget Adnan Rashid. Pakistani forces have attacked own frigate and even tried killing own COAS.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1156119

pathankot-bsf759.jpg

Too many people applying for too many things- Many of these 16 would've got better Job opportunities at the desk or some bureaucratic post hence they refused- It would be better to have a separate exam for officers selection in paramilitary on the lines of CDS- But that would mean bye bye bureaucratic control over paramilitary and central police-

These days even PhD apply for peon post- However would take nothing away from this sensational article and opportunity to boost by the jingoistic fanboys-

Back
Top Bottom