What's new

Americans try Arab (mostly Saudi Arabian) cuisine

There are a lot but try asking for (زبيدي) Stromateus (ناجل) Coral trout (هامور) Greasy grouper (كنعد) narrow-barred Spanish mackerel Tuna (تونا) etc
The mackerel tuna with capsicum I learned to cook in KSA when I was in aziziyah.(I am still addicted to it)and Coral trout was a recipe worth trying when my colleague dared me to try and when I did it left me speechless regarding the taste.about the rest,if I ever make it again back to KSA I will do keep them on top of my list bro.thanks for sharing.:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

The mackerel tuna with capsicum I learned to cook in KSA when I was in aziziyah.(I am still addicted to it)and Coral trout was a recipe worth trying when my colleague dared me to try and when I did it left me speechless regarding the taste.about the rest,if I ever make it again back to KSA I will do keep them on top of my list bro.thanks for sharing.:tup::tup::tup::tup::tup::tup:

You are very welcome brother.

@Frosty

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته كيف حالك يا أخي الكريم

Al-Hasani was a great user. A living legend.

What a combination. Try beating Al-Ittihad, FCB, AC Milan (not a real fan but I have always supported Milan in Italy since I started watching football ages ago) and recent PSG glory-hunting ever since Qatar bought them.:lol:

That other thread was closed so not sure if you saw my reply or if the tagging even worked. Can't quote your post either or any post in that propaganda thread.

Anyway brother, please contribute to post 22 if possible which was my reply to post 14. Not too familiar of the fish eaten in the Eastern Province.

I fell in love with Arabic cuisine when I was stationed in the Gulf region. I found the food to be very flavorful, fresh, and healthy. I loved a traditional kabsa and if you are hungry after eating that, you have something wrong with you My ultimate addiction however, is a Syrian dish I have never been able to find, (Not the same quality.) in the United States, called Muhammara, a walnut and red pepper past, eaten with flatbread. I could not get enough of that stuff!

muhammara-spread.jpg

:welcome:

Good to see you around here again. Great choices!

@hunter_hunted did you ever see my reply?

Here is more:

mk34473_1.jpg

Which fish you recommend to purchase (What are they called in arabia) and any good recipes . Curious cat inside me wants to try some fishy for change

The best fish we buy in the Eastern cost of Saudi Arabia is called Zubaidi (زبيدي) and Hamour (هامور).
These two are quite popular and considered to be the best by many.

Then come Shea'ayyri (شعيري) and Can'aad (كنعد).

Zubaidi
(Could not find any zubaidi recently and it's quite rare and sells quickly)
images_%D8%B7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%82%D8%A9-%D8%B9%D9%85%D9%84-%D9%85%D8%B7%D8%A8%D9%82-%D8%B3%D9%85%D9%83-%D8%B2%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%AF%D9%8A-%D9%85%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B7%D8%A8%D8%AE-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%83%D9%88%D9%8A%D8%AA%D9%8A-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B5%D9%88%D8%B1.jpg

medium_1238211343.jpg

Hamoor
(Very little bones, best taste after the rarely found Zubaidi)
244-533x400.jpg

12742.imgcache.jpg

She'aayyri
(Available durring summer, Good taste, lots of bones though )
Grilled-Shaari.jpg

lshaary.jpg

Can'aad
(A kind of Tuna but taste better)
*x*_ZOge3Kcv7VJSOTN9fZJY.jpg

KANAAD.jpg

You are very welcome brother.

@Frosty

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته كيف حالك يا أخي الكريم

Al-Hasani was a great user. A living legend.

What a combination. Try beating Al-Ittihad, FCB, AC Milan (not a real fan but I have always supported Milan in Italy since I started watching football ages ago) and recent PSG glory-hunting ever since Qatar bought them.:lol:

That other thread was closed so not sure if you saw my reply or if the tagging even worked. Can't quote your post either or any post in that propaganda thread.

Anyway brother, please contribute to post 22 if possible which was my reply to post 14. Not too familiar of the fish eaten in the Eastern Province.

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته هلابك أخوي حيّاك الله منوّر .. لك وحشة يشهد الله.

I'm not really knowledgeable on what's the best fish there is in our Eastern market. I'm of a Mutayri tribal ancestry and our diet consist of mainly lamp and chicken x)

Ofc you'd be An Ittihadi Haha, I've heard they aren't doing very well either. The whole of Saudi Arabia have become either fans of AlHilal or members of an AlHilal hate group lmao

The best fish we buy in the Eastern cost of Saudi Arabia is called Zubaidi (زبيدي) and Hamour (هامور).
These two are quite popular and considered to be the best by many.

Then come Shea'ayyri (شعيري) and Can'aad (كنعد).

Zubaidi
(Could not find any zubaidi recently and it's quite rare and sells quickly)
images_%D8%B7%D8%B1%D9%8A%D9%82%D8%A9-%D8%B9%D9%85%D9%84-%D9%85%D8%B7%D8%A8%D9%82-%D8%B3%D9%85%D9%83-%D8%B2%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%AF%D9%8A-%D9%85%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B7%D8%A8%D8%AE-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%83%D9%88%D9%8A%D8%AA%D9%8A-%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B5%D9%88%D8%B1.jpg

medium_1238211343.jpg

Hamoor
(Very little bones, best taste after the rarely found Zubaidi)
244-533x400.jpg

12742.imgcache.jpg

She'aayyri
(Available durring summer, Good taste, lots of bones though )
Grilled-Shaari.jpg

lshaary.jpg

Can'aad
(A kind of Tuna but taste better)
*x*_ZOge3Kcv7VJSOTN9fZJY.jpg

KANAAD.jpg

وعليكم السلام و رحمة الله و بركاته هلابك أخوي حيّاك الله منوّر .. لك وحشة يشهد الله.

I'm not really knowledgeable on what's the best fish there is in our Eastern market. I'm of a Mutayri tribal ancestry and our diet consist of mainly lamp and chicken x)

Ofc you'd be An Ittihadi Haha, I've heard they aren't doing very well either. The whole of Saudi Arabia have become either fans of AlHilal or members of an AlHilal hate group lmao

Great overview. Now I think that we have given @hunter_hunted enough of ammunition for him to explore the local fish markets. It would be a crime not to.

A Mutairi. Excellent. One of us in other words like most Najdis who are basically Hijazis in disguise, lol.

Better than in the past few years. However nothing like the golden age 10-15 years ago or the one before my time (20 years ago). Haha, exactly. Anyway it does not bother me as I support all of our club teams whenever they play in the AFC and for that matter all GCC/Arab teams. The native rivalries are all local rivalries and for local consumption. Anyway outside of the big matches I hardly ever watch the local league despite it being the second or third best football league in Asia after the Chinese and Japanese football leagues. My interest is mainly in the AFC and of course the national team whose recent renaissance I have enjoyed quite a lot. The youth teams have done well and there are many exciting young players again too. Another successful era is possible.

Glad that you have some memorable memories that you cherish brother. Yes, those are great dishes but there are many more!:agree::enjoy:

Care to mention more Arabian dishes? I am interested. Big fan of Lazeez [don't know the correct word for it].

Sushmeet Kaur
for 3 months ago
"I have never seen him giving an outside food rating more then 10 hahaha"

Quang Tran
3 months ago
"This dish was so bombs!"

Sushmeet Kaur
for 3 months ago
"Quang Tran ay i can already tell by the video"

@The SC

:lol:

@hunter_hunted speaking about fish dishes, you never replied to our posts.

Here is another fish dish:

3.5 million views (WTH)?

Last edited by a moderator:
In the first ones, I think those foods are more Saudi than universally Arab. I’ve never heard of most of them except for Kabseh. Yes, I pronounce it like that..

Is this a mirage or has my brother risen from the dead?

Welcome back!:cheers:

I don't remember those videos and I don't bother to watch all of them again but from what I recall there was a mixture of more indigenous Saudi Arabian dishes and pan-Arab ones found in every Arab country.

BTW most Saudi Arabian dishes are also found in other Arab countries (at least neighboring) but often other names are used or slightly different ingredients.

As for Saudi Arabian cuisine, as you can imagine due to the size of KSA and great diversity in terms of geography, history, regional differences, environment, you can imagine that this is just a small sample and what was shown is mostly Najdi in origin.

Jordanian cuisine (indigenous and the Palestinian influenced) is very similar to overall Saudi Arabian cuisine and in particular shamali (Northern in case people wonder) and Hijazi cuisine.

Is this a mirage or has my brother risen from the dead?

Welcome back!:cheers:

I don't remember those videos and I don't bother to watch all of them again but from what I recall there was a mixture of more indigenous Saudi Arabian dishes and pan-Arab ones found in every Arab country.

BTW most Saudi Arabian dishes are also found in other Arab countries (at least neighboring) but often other names are used or slightly different ingredients.

As for Saudi Arabian cuisine, as you can imagine due to the size of KSA and great diversity in terms of geography, history, regional differences, environment, you can imagine that this is just a small sample and what was shown is mostly Najdi in origin.

Jordanian cuisine (indigenous and the Palestinian influenced) is very similar to overall Saudi Arabian cuisine and in particular shamali (Northern in case people wonder) and Hijazi cuisine.
Thank you for the welcome. I hope you’ve been doing well in life. I thought to check back on this website that I used to spend so much time on. Nice thread BTW.

I agree that Jordanian cuisine tends to be very similar to Hijazi cuisine.

@Ahmed Jo

A really wonderful series showcasing Jordanian and Arab cuisine from a very good light. One of his most viewed trips.

BTW I presume that you have been following all the good news coming out of KSA (and arguably much of the Arab world) in the past 1-2 years. It's really groundbreaking news and a escape from the post Iranian "Islamic" revolution influences and that of the sahwa. MbS means serious business!

In general I am very hopeful for the Arab world on the long-term. Growing economies, growing populations (thus even more potential), scientific and educational progress, radical Islamism becoming an even more fringe movement, Daesh defeated in Iraq and soon in Syria, KRG getting a long-deserved "beating" from Baghdad, Houthis/Saleh losing ground constantly (less than 15% of Yemen today) etc. Most importantly the societies, at least in KSA and the GCC are moving to a post-oil/gas/natural resources era which is fundamental. Egypt recovering etc. Of course still a lot to do but things are moving in the right direction almost everywhere. Certain places quicker than others. I will take that.

As I wrote 2-3 years back when all was doom and gloom (due to the low oil prices), the low oil prices would prove to be one of the biggest gifts in recent years and it seems (for now at least) that I was wright.

Bro, as for your question in that other thread about NEOM, see those two threads below:

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/8-th...saudi-arabias-innovative-neom-project.526246/

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/saudi-arabia-announces-500-billion-mega-city-project.524980/

@Ahmed Jo

A really wonderful series showcasing Jordanian and Arab cuisine from a very good light. One of his most viewed trips.

BTW I presume that you have been following all the good news coming out of KSA (and arguably much of the Arab world) in the past 1-2 years. It's really groundbreaking news and a escape from the post Iranian "Islamic" revolution influences and that of the sahwa. MbS means serious business!

In general I am very hopeful for the Arab world on the long-term. Growing economies, growing populations (thus even more potential), scientific and educational progress, radical Islamism becoming an even more fringe movement, Daesh defeated in Iraq and soon in Syria, KRG getting a long-deserved "beating" from Baghdad, Houthis/Saleh losing ground constantly (less than 15% of Yemen today) etc. Most importantly the societies, at least in KSA and the GCC are moving to a post-oil/gas/natural resources era which is fundamental. Egypt recovering etc. Of course still a lot to do but things are moving in the right direction almost everywhere. Certain places quicker than others. I will take that.

As I wrote 2-3 years back when all was doom and gloom (due to the low oil prices), the low oil prices would prove to be one of the biggest gifts in recent years and it seems (for now at least) that I was wright.

Bro, as for your question in that other thread about NEOM, see those two threads below:
I have seen the series before and it made me both homesick and hungry lol.

There have been a lot of positive changes but I will admit, I didn’t see the same hope you did several years ago but I have been pleasantly surprised by the recent developments. As for MBS, actually my dad recently met him and he said he was very nice, even took a selfie with him!

I deleted the other post because I double posted the question then messed it up somehow. Clearly, I forgot how to post a simple comment on this website lol.

Back
Top Bottom