What's new

American's Brain Drain

longbrained

Reaction score
America's brain drain: 6.3 MILLION U.S. citizens now live and work overseas (no wonder the economy's on its knees)

Brain drain in reverse: 6.3 MILLION Americans and counting live and work overseas | Mail Online

* Number of Americans aged 25-34 living abroad increased from 1% to 5.1% in two years

* 40% of Americans aged 18-24 express interest in working abroad, up 15% from 2009

* State Department: 6.3m Americans now work abroad

It's a curious phenomenon that sends Americans abroad to look for work. The U.S. has traditionally skimmed the best minds from around the world in pursuit of the American Dream.
According to polling firm Gallup, which surveyed people in 135 nations around the world, the U.S. was the top desired destination of those who wanted to relocate permanently to another country.
But with unemployment hovering around nine per cent, the use of food stamps at record highs and the Great Recession continuing to punish the budgets of so many families, the American economy is much less of a magnet.

article-2070893-0F1104E000000578-148_468x402.jpg

Migration: More Americans than ever are choosing to work abroad because of better prospects and interesting endeavors

To some young entrepreneurs, economic possibilities seem brighter in places like Brazil, Russia, China or Latin America.
The State Department now estimates that 6.3million Americans are studying or working abroad, the highest number on record.
According to a survey by marketing consultants America Wave, the percentage of Americans aged 25 to 34 actively planning to relocate outside the U.S. has quintupled in just two years, from less than one per cent to 5.1per cent.
'Those numbers have shot through the ceiling,' says America Wave founder Bob Adams, who has run nine such surveys over the years.

'They're very surprising, and not something I anticipated. They're looking for work because of the sluggish economy, and they've lost confidence that the U.S. is going anywhere.'

article-2070893-0F15146800000578-821_468x523.jpg

Freedom: Working abroad allows American entrepreneurs and those with technical skills to do their jobs in unconventional ways

Younger Americans seem even keener to look abroad, with 40 per cent of those 18-24 expressing interest in foreign relocation, which is up from 15 per cent two years ago.
'There's a feeling among more entrepreneurial Americans that if you really want to get anything done, you have to get out of country and away from the depressing atmosphere,' says Mr Adams, who lives in Panama.

‘There’s a sense of lost direction, so more people are looking for locations that offer more hope about the future.'
Derek Capo in his early 20s, working as an analyst at hedge fund Everest Capital monitoring international equities, and soaking up the weather and nightlife of his hometown of Miami.

But looking ahead, as he'd been trained to do, Mr Capo didn't like what he saw.
The housing bust was starting to strangle the Florida economy, the stock market was looking increasingly erratic and he didn't want to pursue a pricey MBA in the middle of an economic crisis.
He also wanted to test his entrepreneurial muscles, by starting his own business, ideally in a locale that felt economically vibrant, with seemingly limitless possibilities. To do that, Mr Capo left the U.S. in 2007.

He now lives in Beijing, having founded Next Step China. The firm offers Chinese-language immersion programs, and arranges opportunities for foreigners to teach, intern or volunteer in China.
'I wanted to take the next step in my life and career,' says Mr Capo, now 29.
'I connected the dots and decided that I should go somewhere different and learn something new, like Mandarin, to challenge myself. I picked China because it was growing so fast.'
Just ask Matt Landau, who also lives in Panama.

The 29-year-old graduated from the University of Richmond in Virginia before moving 'in search of work, a better economy, and a more fulfilling lifestyle,' he says.
While many of his economics-major buddies are trying to avoid Wall Street layoffs, he set up a travel and investment blog and runs a boutique hotel he fixed up in the historic district of Panama City.

But he now knows that moving abroad won't automatically lead to a life of wine and roses. Every country comes with challenges, including barriers of culture, language, bureaucracy, and economic troubles of its own.
'Embrace the hurdles, as they're part of the journey,' Mr Landau says. 'If you don't embrace them, they'll suffocate you.'
Such a major life decision isn't to be taken lightly. It's a daring chess move for your career, but sometimes risky moves can backfire, as well.
'That's why you need to create a plan for your period abroad,' says Alexandra Levit, a career expert and author of books like New Job, New You.
'Know in advance how long you are going to stay, and what you intend to accomplish during that time.
'Make sure the job you take will allow you to learn transferable skills that are relevant across a variety of roles and industries.'
For MrLandau, it's now been six years, and he still hasn't tired of a lifestyle that includes plentiful surfing and snorkelling.
'I don't regret leaving the States one bit,' he says. 'But when I do get homesick, I just hop on a five-hour flight back to the East Coast.
'It's like living in California - except no one knows who Herman Cain is.'

Brain drain reverses course, flows away from America

Bottom Line - Brain drain reverses course, flows away from America

NEW YORK — Derek Capo was living the high life. He was in his early 20s, an analyst at hedge fund Everest Capital monitoring international equities, and soaking up the weather and nightlife of his hometown of Miami.
But looking ahead, as he'd been trained to do, Capo didn't like what he saw. The housing bust was starting to strangle the Florida economy, the stock market was looking increasingly erratic and he didn't want to pursue a pricey MBA in the middle of an economic crisis.
He also wanted to test his entrepreneurial muscles, by starting his own business, ideally in a locale that felt economically vibrant, with seemingly limitless possibilities. To do that, Capo left the U.S. in 2007.

He now lives in Beijing, having founded Next Step China. The firm offers Chinese-language immersion programs, and arranges opportunities for foreigners to teach, intern or volunteer in China. "I wanted to take the next step in my life and career," says Capo, now 29. "I connected the dots and decided that I should go somewhere different and learn something new, like Mandarin, to challenge myself. I picked China because it was growing so fast."
It's a curious phenomenon that sends Americans abroad to look for work. The U.S. has traditionally skimmed the best minds from around the world in pursuit of the American Dream. Indeed, according to polling firm Gallup, which surveyed people in 135 nations around the world, the U.S. was the top desired destination of those who wanted to relocate permanently to another country.
But with unemployment hovering around 9 percent, the use of food stamps at record highs and the Great Recession continuing to punish the budgets of so many families, the American economy is much less of a magnet. To some young entrepreneurs, economic possibilities seem brighter in places like Brazil, Russia, China or Latin America. Indeed, the State Department now estimates that 6.3 million Americans are studying or working abroad, the highest number on record.
In fact, according to a survey by marketing consultants America Wave, the percentage of Americans aged 25 to 34 actively planning to relocate outside the U.S. has quintupled in just two years, from less than 1 percent to 5.1 percent. "Those numbers have shot through the ceiling," says America Wave founder Bob Adams, who has run nine such surveys over the years. "They're very surprising, and not something I anticipated. They're looking for work because of the sluggish economy, and they've lost confidence that the U.S. is going anywhere."
Younger Americans seem even keener to look abroad, with 40 percent of those 18-24 expressing interest in foreign relocation, which is up from 15 percent two years ago. "There's a feeling among more entrepreneurial Americans that if you really want to get anything done, you have to get out of country and away from the depressing atmosphere," says Adams, who lives in Panama. " There's a sense of lost direction, so more people are looking for locations that offer more hope about the future."
Just ask Matt Landau, who also lives in Panama. The 29-year-old graduated from the University of Richmond in Virginia before moving "in search of work, a better economy, and a more fulfilling lifestyle," he says. While many of his economics-major buddies are trying to avoid Wall Street layoffs, he set up a travel and investment blog and runs a boutique hotel he fixed up in the historic district of Panama City.
But he now knows that moving abroad won't automatically lead to a life of wine and roses. Every country comes with challenges, including barriers of culture, language, bureaucracy, and economic troubles of its own. "Embrace the hurdles, as they're part of the journey," Landau says. "If you don't embrace them, they'll suffocate you."
Indeed, such a major life decision isn't to be taken lightly. It's a daring chess move for your career, but sometimes risky moves can backfire, as well. "That's why you need to create a plan for your period abroad," says Alexandra Levit, a career expert and author of books like New Job, New You. "Know in advance how long you are going to stay, and what you intend to accomplish during that time. Make sure the job you take will allow you to learn transferable skills that are relevant across a variety of roles and industries."
In-demand skills include IT, engineering and teaching. You can search for international jobs at familiar sites like Monster or Craigslist, or increasingly via social media like LinkedIn. There are also countless local job sites, depending on the particular country you're targeting; visit TransitionAbroad to search by region or profession. Every country has its own work-visa requirements, of course, so do your due diligence at the State Department's terrifically thorough website for Americans traveling abroad.
More tips from Levit: Don't underestimate the costs of relocating abroad (including healthcare coverage), which can be substantial. Choose a location where you have some existing contacts and a potential support system, otherwise you could begin to feel isolated and depressed. And continue to cultivate your network back in the States, so that when you do come back home, the transition will be relatively seamless.
Or you might find that you really enjoy your new life abroad, and want to stay. For Matt Landau, it's now been six years, and he still hasn't tired of a lifestyle that includes plentiful surfing and snorkeling. "I don't regret leaving the States one bit," he says. "But when I do get homesick, I just hop on a five-hour flight back to the East Coast. It's like living in California -- except no one knows who Herman Cain is."

The economy is it's knees because of the wars not because some people are working abroad.

In 10 years the total war costs are only 1.4 trillion through 2012. Other factors effect the US economy more such as companies moving operations over seas because of cheaper labor and tax advantages, housing bubble which was caused by congress encouraging and letting banks make loans that people couldn't afford, social spending programs run amok, ECT.

The biggest problem right now though is the paralyzing of the political processes in the legislative and executive branches. To many special intrests hold sway of the politicians making it harder to reform laws and regulations.

In 10 years the total war costs are only 1.4 trillion through 2012. Other factors effect the US economy more such as companies moving operations over seas because of cheaper labor and tax advantages, housing bubble which was caused by congress encouraging and letting banks make loans that people couldn't afford, social spending programs run amok, ECT.

The biggest problem right now though is the paralyzing of the political processes in the legislative and executive branches. To many special intrests hold sway of the politicians making it harder to reform laws and regulations.

yes but your yearly militry budget it a trillion dollar...I am not not just talking about how money you spend for the war itself.
Problem is how in the hell will you ever fix your debt...I have to say this but, American future is not looking bright and you have only yourselves to blame.

US never told true about war casualties neither they have 1 record about wars in which they didn't lie to their own countrymen. I dobut if this stated 1.4 Trillion figure will be uniquely a truth. Also this figure even if taken true is only direct spending on the wars. What about indirect cost which potential and opportunities have paid? The Money spent on wars is non-returnable investment and 100s of projects which if had received this amount and had started returning back to economy are equally lost. So the cost which American Nation pays is probebly 2-3 times more than the stated amount.

Here point is not how much is spent.. point is why is that spent. If your ideas was to make America safe, I ask you Thomas, is America or life of an American in America more fear free than it was before wars? Safety of soul is the last item in the list of security.. and America has made its countrymen insecure every possible way in haste of saving their souls alone.. which in reality are not safer either.

US never told true about war casualties neither they have 1 record about wars in which they didn't lie to their own countrymen. I dobut if this stated 1.4 Trillion figure will be uniquely a truth. Also this figure even if taken true is only direct spending on the wars. What about indirect cost which potential and opportunities have paid? The Money spent on wars is non-returnable investment and 100s of projects which if had received this amount and had started returning back to economy are equally lost. So the cost which American Nation pays is probebly 2-3 times more than the stated amount.

Here point is not how much is spent.. point is why is that spent. If your ideas was to make America safe, I ask you Thomas, is America or life of an American in America more fear free than it was before wars? Safety of soul is the last item in the list of security.. and America has made its countrymen insecure every possible way in haste of saving their souls alone.. which in reality are not safer either.
So asked the muslim who live in free Australia. But you should ask yourself, as a muslim, the more important question: Was the death of 3000 Americans worth the troubles your world is experiencing today?

Here is the GAO report for war costs.

http://www.fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/RL33110.pdf

Do Americans feel more safe? In matters of terrorism yes, but we also know that sooner or later there will be another large terror hit. US intelligence has broken up many plots and terror cells since 9/11 but nothing goes perfectly forever. as far as hidden costs add another 600 billion a year and it still wouldn't be enough to tube an America with 130 trillon 10 year GDP or 40 trillon 10 year tax revenue

As per bold part, are you joking? Which country is safer than US today, here you can move around freely. Do not go by media reports to make your opinion that they are feeling insecure, I have not met a single american who has changed one bit of their lifestyle thinking about their safety. In-fact they do not even talk about all this, I have seen they care two hoots about Afghanistan and Pakistan or war on terror. All these is only discussed by politicians, normal people of US do not give it a damn.

Also any country that has successfully controlled terror on their soil it is US.

As per bold part, are you joking? Which country is safer than US today, here you can move around freely. Do not go by media reports to make your opinion that they are feeling insecure, I have not met a single american who has changed one bit of their lifestyle thinking about their safety. In-fact they do not even talk about all this, I have seen they care two hoots about Afghanistan and Pakistan or war on terror. All these is only discussed by politicians, normal people of US do not give it a damn.

Also any country that has successfully controlled terror on their soil it is US.

A large number of these overseas Americans are immigrants who got American nationality and now moved back home.

So if ever things get bad there, they can easily move back to USA.

@kinetic

Last I checked Australia is in the east...

It's considered a western civilization. The majority of Aussies are Christian, White, of Anglo-Saxon origin. ;)
Australia, South Korea, and Japan belongs in what is called the 'notional West' meaning each country shares with the Europeans and each other many characteristics, usually modern in scope, such as technology and politics. Notional denote an alliance based upon transcendent ideas and principles rather than the old restrictive geographical and racial.

@gambit

Or, it's just the countries which are the last on the last to wipe out by the USA? :lol:

On a serious note all these countries governments are controlled by none other than the USA. :azn:

Don't you just LOVE guys like this ? ALWAYS quick to tell the West they suck but trip over themselves to get there. Isn't there a word for that ?
Two words: hypocrite and coward.

We suck but theirs suck more. They realize it but because they cannot stand the reflection in the mirror so they have to force themselves to hate the society that protects them and give them the freedoms and rights they never would have elsewhere.

Back
Top Bottom