What's new

AMCA configuration in final stages

what is the expected MTOW?

seems bigger than j-31 to me

No idea bout J31 , but AMCA will be similar size of rafael/MiG29. It will be Medium class fighter (20 Tonn class fighter), The Fully loaded weight will not exceed 20 Tonn.

Rest is speculation ,
<from WIKI>
Crew: 1 (pilot)
Length: 13.20 m (43 ft 4 in)
Wingspan: 8.20 m (26 ft 11 in)
Height: 4.40 m (14 ft 9 in)
Wing area: 38.4 m² (413 ft²)
Empty weight: 12,000 kg (26,456 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 18,000 kg (39,683 lb)
Powerplant: 2 × GTRE GTX 35 VS Kaveri NG turbofans
Dry thrust: 54 kN (12,130 lbf) each
Thrust with afterburner: 90 kN (20,230 lbf) each
Performance
Maximum speed: Mach 1.8
Range: 3,500 km (2,040 mi)
Service ceiling: 15,250 m (50,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 230 m/s (45,000 ft/min)

Everything is reasonable for you, but not for me, I was banned once for this post J20 thread "J20 looks like J10 Lavi (Delta wing canard)"....

I don't want to argue a chinese , I don't want to get ban again...

You are absolutely right, It will take 30 years...

He said 2033, which is 20 years from now.

Realistically, I would expect the AMCA to start getting inducted sometime in 2027 in the best case scenario. The first flight is only expected by the end of the decade, and I'm sure it will take another 5-7 years for entering operational service. That is a good timeline though, since that is when our upgraded Mig 29s, mirages and jags (the newest ones) will be retiring. That is the time when the IAF will feel the need for a new platform, just like we are about to induct three new platforms in this decade.

The good news is that we don't really need the AMCA for another 15 years or more, since the IAF will be busy with three new platforms in the meantime. Unlike the LCA, for which there was a pressing need all the while, with the AMCA, we can afford to take the required time - which will be less anyway this time round.

Exactly what I was wondering. We need to Pull in NAL even though it does not come under MOD. Pvt companies are bad Idea, It will be another LCA in the making.

Using private companies are not a bad thing in my view the problem we had with LCA was we kept changing the requirements and there was a alot of confusion with DRDO which I hope we have learnt from.

Some of the finest defence companies in the world are not state run such as Lockheed Martin/BAE Systems for example, in India we have the Samtel Group which is a cutting edge true world class company.

Is it just me or, the wings look a bit like YF-23..?

Maiden flight date is a bit depressing though..

LCA very first design

nal_wtmodels.jpg

Final LCA

<Find LCA Pic on google :P >

Design can change

I read it somewhere that AMCA will be inducted by 2025. 2 TD and 7-8 prototype will be made. First TD by 2017,second by 2019 and the first prototype flight will only be possible in 2020.

Like many others, I don't doubt DRDO and ADA but I really start feeling the other way when it comes to engine due to inability of DRDO in making a engine.

1. Afterburner thrust of an engine.

2. Crystal blades for sustaining high temperatures.

3. Weight of an engine.

4. Smokeless or very low smoke engine for 5th gen fighters.

5. Bypass ratio of an engine.

If DRDO succeeds to succumb these challenges by 2020 then I really think this timeframe of 2025 can be reality.

I read some where, The testing will be done using GE414, If Kaveri will be ready then Kavery will go in production model else GE414 will be use.

I read that GE414 can provide supercruise capability (without aftrburner)

It depends on the drag an airframe generates, and if Gripen NG can super cruise at mach 1.1 with Canards (keep in mind, drag increases with the increase in controlling surface) with GE 414, then there's no reason for LCA Tejas to not to supercruise with limited payload.

No idea bout J31 , but AMCA will be similar size of rafael/MiG29. It will be Medium class fighter (20 Tonn class fighter), The Fully loaded weight will not exceed 20 Tonn.

Rest is speculation ,
<from WIKI>
Crew: 1 (pilot)
Length: 13.20 m (43 ft 4 in)
Wingspan: 8.20 m (26 ft 11 in)
Height: 4.40 m (14 ft 9 in)
Wing area: 38.4 m² (413 ft²)
Empty weight: 12,000 kg (26,456 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 18,000 kg (39,683 lb)
Powerplant: 2 × GTRE GTX 35 VS Kaveri NG turbofans
Dry thrust: 54 kN (12,130 lbf) each
Thrust with afterburner: 90 kN (20,230 lbf) each
Performance
Maximum speed: Mach 1.8
Range: 3,500 km (2,040 mi)
Service ceiling: 15,250 m (50,000 ft)
Rate of climb: 230 m/s (45,000 ft/min)

The requirement of IAF has already placed AMCA in the 25 ton category i.e. MTOW will be 25 ton.

The requirement of IAF has already placed AMCA in the 25 ton category i.e. MTOW will be 25 ton.

Fcuk IAF, they keep changing the requirement. Why they want heavy class fighter when they already have (Will have) FGFA...

I hate these ppl, these ppl are dalad (Arms Dealers)

I suppose one of the most important factors in success of program would be how FGFA proceeds and Indian R&D and aviation industry learns and adapts from the program. Two vital cogs in the wheels are:
1. The Engine.

Although Kaveri is being touted as the power for AMCA, India must not shy away from M-88 or AL-41F or whatever powers FGFA. Since a lot of investment is being made in both Rafale purchase and FGFA developments both engines are in grasp of India in terms of cost and technology. This commonality will not only speed up program but also be cost effective for IAF in long term.

2. The Radar

Again, take help from development alreday being done for FGFA or rope in Thales. If Rafale deal gets done in a way that favors India, the AESA radar can be modified to suit AMCA. We've heard French may give the source codes as well speeding development.

One of the most important lessons from LCA program is that it is very difficult for a newbie to develop everything afresh. If Rafale deal and/or FGFA program lends a helping hand to AMCA program, that would be money well spent.

No, it was IAF who reduce its MTOW from 25 tons to 20 tons. Even there was news of decrease the weight of plane upto 16 tons.

No, it was IAF who reduce its MTOW from 25 tons to 20 tons. Even there was news of decrease the weight of plane upto 16 tons.

Dude this is maximum take off weight not empty weight.

Empty weight will be around 12 ton.

Loaded weight will be around 18-19 ton.

And Maximum take-off weight will be around 25 ton. i.e. it will able to carry 6-7 ton of weapon.

Back
Top Bottom