What's new

Allow Pakistan players back into IPL: Afridi

New Recruit

Reaction score
Karachi: Shahid Afridi, the Pakistan captain, has said called on the IPL to include Pakistan players with relations between the two countries steadily improving. Pakistan played India in the World Cup semi-final in Mohali, a game watched by Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Gilani on the invitation of his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh, who was also present.

"It is high time the Pakistani cricketers also get a place in the IPL. For three seasons, including the current one, we haven't been a part of the IPL. We have no problems playing in India as we have just played a World Cup semi-final there," Afridi told PTI.

Players from Pakistan featured in the inaugural version of the IPL but, following the Mumbai terrorist attack in November 2008 and its diplomatic fallout, they weren't picked by any of the franchises for the subsequent two editions, and will also not be part of the tournament that starts on Friday.

"I am not saying I want to play the IPL but it could be a great platform for youngsters. They could make a mark for themselves," Afridi said.

Afridi added the inclusion of Pakistan players in the IPL was an opportunity for both countries to improve relations. "Our PM responded positively to that invitation. Now IPL can be a platform to further ease the tension," he said. "We should play more against each other. This will not only ease the pressure but will also reduce the unwanted media hype surrounded with Indo-Pak matches."

tis is the same man who said that the Indians are not so open hearted as pakistanis.........n now he need our money:woot:

I would suggest to Ignore what Afridi said and build relationship with Pakistan again, it happens that at time someone or the other gives unwanted statement for either side. These statement should not be made basis for long term decision.

I am also in favor of touring Pakistan to help cricket started in Pakistan.

I was there in Mohali and we Indians were giving away our seats and tickets at MRP to Pakistanis.
What he said in the Pakistani interview was very shameful.
I wont comment on whether Pakistani players should be allowed. It will be decided by the organizers.

Karachi: Shahid Afridi, the Pakistan captain, has said called on the IPL to include Pakistan players with relations between the two countries steadily improving. Pakistan played India in the World Cup semi-final in Mohali, a game watched by Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Gilani on the invitation of his Indian counterpart Manmohan Singh, who was also present.

"It is high time the Pakistani cricketers also get a place in the IPL. For three seasons, including the current one, we haven't been a part of the IPL. We have no problems playing in India as we have just played a World Cup semi-final there," Afridi told PTI.

Players from Pakistan featured in the inaugural version of the IPL but, following the Mumbai terrorist attack in November 2008 and its diplomatic fallout, they weren't picked by any of the franchises for the subsequent two editions, and will also not be part of the tournament that starts on Friday.

"I am not saying I want to play the IPL but it could be a great platform for youngsters. They could make a mark for themselves," Afridi said.

Afridi added the inclusion of Pakistan players in the IPL was an opportunity for both countries to improve relations. "Our PM responded positively to that invitation. Now IPL can be a platform to further ease the tension," he said. "We should play more against each other. This will not only ease the pressure but will also reduce the unwanted media hype surrounded with Indo-Pak matches."

We dont have such a 'big heart' to allow pakistani players in IPL..

Pakistan players should be allowed in IPL.... it will bring 'talent variety' to the game

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Admins please close this thread before it turns into a troll bag

I was there in Mohali and we Indians were giving away our seats and tickets at MRP to Pakistanis.
What he said in the Pakistani interview was very shameful.
I wont comment on whether Pakistani players should be allowed. It will be decided by the organizers.

Leave all those things apart... BCCI has cleared PCB to send the name of their player to IPL, It is PCB which has not sent the name...
1. Even if PCB send the name, Non of the franchise will take Pakistani players... unnecessary it will be humiliation for them (Which i am strongly against)
2. If any franchise take them, It will be burden for them,SS will not allow that team to play in Mumbai, unnecessary they will create issue.
3. The Mumbai wound have not heal yet, Its uncovered by Rana's confession, so people can't accept a team which will have Pakistani player.
4. Last time Mr Shahrukh khan did some mouth service but didn't take any pakistani player,
5. its all bout money, No one will try to axe himself, Taking Pakistani player will backfire...

Leave all those things apart... BCCI has cleared PCB to send the name of their player to IPL, It is PCB which has not sent the name...
1. Even if PCB send the name, Non of the franchise will take Pakistani players... unnecessary it will be humiliation for them (Which i am strongly against)
2. If any franchise take them, It will be burden for them,SS will not allow that team to play in Mumbai, unnecessary they will create issue.
3. The Mumbai wound have not heal yet, Its uncovered by Rana's confession, so people can't accept a team which will have Pakistani player.
4. Last time Mr Shahrukh khan did some mouth service but didn't take any pakistani player,
5. its all bout money, No one will try to axe himself, Taking Pakistani player will backfire...

if BCCI cleared them, then afridi plead would have been meaningless wouldnt it, and considering it was suhail tanvir who took hihest wickets in 1st ipl, why would any franchise want to block players who are the top performers??, your post doesnt make any sense

I do not think it is not a good option now to take Pak players in IPL. Lets try to play a series in some where outside India & Pak and we will see.

Most of the team's foreign quota is filled up.. Hence its impossible.

if BCCI cleared them, then afridi plead would have been meaningless wouldnt it, and considering it was suhail tanvir who took hihest wickets in 1st ipl, why would any franchise want to block players who are the top performers??, your post doesnt make any sense
Because of the uncertainty if Pakistan players will be accepted by common public .
And BCCI hasnt banned Pakistani players , it was the owners who didnt buy them .

26/11 is still high on minds of ppl , let it settle down then u will see pakistani players in IPL .
May be nxt ipl or Ipl 6 for sure :)

Back
Top Bottom