What's new

Alleged "Terror boat" Sunk by Indian Coast Guard | Fact or Fiction?

You do realize this incident would have meant NOTHING if not for the drama on the Indian media's part.
Corrected for you sir.

First how did he get that 'information and evidence' when that incidence happened in high sea and no other Indian media houses got hold of this 'information and evidence'.

Praveen Swami is journalistic version of Arundhaati Roy. Just search for his article. Most are based around his delusions. He carries no credibility.
He's the definition of a traitor.

What does Praveen Swami know that the Coast Guard doesn’t?
bwoyblunder / January 3, 2015 / Media
In my earlier piece, we had looked at some journos including Praveen Swami, who had floated mind boggling borderline conspiracy theories about the Pakistani boat incident. As I interacted with people on Twitter, and after I re-read Swami’s piece, I felt this gem needed an exclusive post.

1. In the earlier piece, I mentioned Swami says “India claims to destroy Pakistani Boat”. The Coast Guard’s press release never claims that it “destroyed” the boat, it just intercepted it. And Swami does not provide any conclusive evidence to come even near to proving his claim that India “destroyed” the boat

2. Swami also mentioned that “India claims to destroy Terror Boat”. Again the press release has no mention of Terror. Since the boat sank, there was no evidence (at least at the time of the Press Release) to claim it was a “Terror Boat”. Amit Shah said it “could have been” a terror plot. Defence Minister said it was a “suspected” terror plot. But nobody came close to claiming that it was a Terror Boat beyond doubt. Yet, Swami feels India did so. I wonder where he got that from.

3. Swami goes on to say “new evidence has begun to emerge that those on board might have been small-time liquor and diesel smugglers”. He says “SOURCES” revealed to him that “National Technical Research Organisation (NTRO) had intercepted mobile phone traffic involving small-time smugglers operating out of the fishing port of Keti Bandar, near Karachi.

I am not sure what Swami’s “New Evidence” is, because he does not present any, except for what his “SOURCES” told him. Also, I was informed by @HungrynFool, that India Todayhas come out with a totally contradictory report.

According to this report, Aaj Tak has accessed transcripts (not sources) of radio communication between NTRO and the Indian Coast Guard. NTRO apparently recorded the radio communication between TWO (not one) Pakistani boats. This conversation reveals that the boats had “plans to repeat 26/11 carnage in Porbandar”and that “both the vessels were in regular contact with Pakistan’s maritime agency and the army”.

This is in direct contradiction to Swami’s source based report which said the boat was of “chhota mota” smugglers. I personally don’t know which to believe, but I probably go with Aaj Tak’s transcripts, rather than some unnamed sources of Swami.

4. Swami also says that these “smugglers” were to carry bootleg “from the port of Gwadar to other fishing boats which were to have carried it into Karachi’s Keti Bandar harbour.” So this “smuggling” boat was supposed to pass on its ware to another boat mid-sea, which would head to Keti Bandar harbour. Now I am no geography expert, especially not Pakistani geography. But my friend Google Maps is. So I pulled this out:

Now we have Gwadar Port at the extreme left, At the centre is Keti Bandar Port. Porbandar in India, is way down, and the big green circle is probably where this “smuggling” boat from Swamy’simagination report, caught fire. The green circle has been purposely inflated, because I am no geography expert. Also in light blue, I have marked the route I would take if I was in the “smuggling” boat.

Basically, Swami wants us to believe that this boat came all the way down into this green area, to pass on some stuff to another boat which also came down all the way, to carry it back up. COOL STORY BRO!

5. The Press release by the Coast Guard says, they could not save the boat that “due to darkness, bad weather and strong winds.” Swami counters this by saying that open-source meteorological data for the Porbandar coast shows conditions were almost ideal with cloudless skies on December 31-January 1. Of course he provides no links to this data.

I don’t believe these “Open-Source” stuff. So I went to the Indian Meteorological Department site and checked the report for 31/12/2014. The report says “An upper air cyclonic circulation laid over east central and adjoining northeast Arabian Sea off north Konkan and south Gujarat coasts and extended upto 1.5 km above mean sea level on 31st December, 2014.”

Now I don’t understand this, but my friend @sailorsmoon is a sailor. He tells me that in layman’s terms it means “a low pressure area is building and might result in heavy rains, strong air and choppy seas making it hard to maintain course for smaller vessels, And definitely NOT ideal weather.”

Who do you want me to trust? Open Source unlinked data from Praveen Swami, or Indian Government’s official data, interpreted by a sailor? You decide.

6. Swami then goes on to quote a Narsibhai Jungi Jadeja, head of the Porbandar fishing boat owners’ association. Jadeja says its surprising that nobody saw anything “because a fire at night would be visible many nautical miles away”.

Again I asked @sailorsmoon for his views on visibility and nautical miles. He said, “Irrespective of how huge a fire is, you won’t be able to see it beyond a certain distance, simply because the Earth is round (My sources have confirmed that Earth is indeed round).”

He adds that its almost impossible to see anything beyond 35 Nautical Miles, in even perfect visibility. @sailorsmoon further quoted from personal experience and said, “We see burning flares of oil fields at sea, and we only notice them at not before 20 Nautical Miles at best.”

So how many Nautical Miles away was the Pakistani boat? 197 Nautical Miles!! Let’s say thats a completely exaggerated figure and lets take its half i.e. around 98 Nautical Miles. Thats still way too far to see anything, according to @Sailorsmoon’s view, let alone the flames from a small fishing boat.

7. Praveen Swami also says that “There is a suggestion of use of disproportionate force on the poor boat since its engine wasn’t capable of outrunning Indian interceptors. He also says there isn’t much clarity “on the circumstances under which lethal force was used”.

I want to ask Swami, is chasing down a boat “Lethal Disproportionate Force”? Is asking it to stop “Lethal Disproportionate Force”? Or is he slyly hinting at something else? Like he did earlier, that India in fact “destroyed” this boat.

And I want to ask you, the reader, knowing that Pakistan has once successfully used this modus operandi, that Pakistan is continuously violating ceasefire norms as we speak, that this boat is not obeying your orders, that this boat could have another Kasab, did what the Coast Guard did, qualify as “Lethal Disproportionate Force”?

In my opinion, NO! Maybe Praveen Swami has more sympathy for the passengers of this boat who were surely in some or the other “Illicit activity” rather than for innocent Indian civilians.

So to conclude, Praveen Swami’s post doesn’t hold grounds on at least 6 points. Maybe his sources lied to him. Maybe his sources were wrong. Or maybe he didn’t have any sources and he just had a narrative in his mind which he had to show to be true by weaving a fictional story around it.

I would have loved to ask Praveen Swami to clarify this, but he blocked me on Twitter, as soon as I tagged him in a tweet with my earlier post. So much for good old tolerance preached by “Liberals”!
What does Praveen Swami know that the Coast Guard doesn’t?

Was just about to post this. Considering it utterly decimates the entire basis of the article in which this thread was opened to discuss, shouldn't this thread now closed or at least the title changed @Oscar @waz ?

You do realize this incident would have meant NOTHING if not for the drama on the Indian side.

There is No drama ; it is all reality which Pakistan cannot deal with

But soon Pakistani people too LIKE their establishment
will learn to brazen it out ; since this is an entirely NEW development
Pakistanis are being TOUCHY

For instance when Infiltrators are KILLED on LOC ; Pakistani members dont
get so angry ; they just ignore it ; why so much anger for
infiltrators coming from sea ; just because it is a NEW phenomenon

You will get used to it

Was just about to post this. Considering it utterly decimates the entire basis of the article in which this thread was opened to discuss, shouldn't this thread now closed or at least the title changed @Oscar @waz ?

Not exactly, the rebuttal keeps talking of a transcript(which we know can be forged) as the MAIN basis for his article and then starts talking about the opinions from another online member. The rest of the post is more paranoid nationalism than actual rebuttal.

You do realize this incident would have meant NOTHING if not for the drama on the Indian side.

What would you say if it would have turned out to be another 26/11. You realize that the perpetrators of 26/11 came by a fishing boat

There is No drama ; it is all reality which Pakistan cannot deal with

But soon Pakistani people too LIKE their establishment
will learn to brazen it out ; since this is an entirely NEW development
Pakistanis are being TOUCHY

For instance when Infiltrators are KILLED on LOC ; Pakistani members dont
get so angry ; they just ignore it ; why so much anger for
infiltrators coming from sea ; just because it is a NEW phenomenon

You will get used to it

Yea..sure. The Indians just showed up here out of moral need.
Please refrain from commenting if you are not "touched" by this news.

What would you say if it would have turned out to be another 26/11. You realize that the perpetrators of 26/11 came by a fishing boat

Yet it did not. If and Buts.. is all that this drama was about. If it had happened, we would see some actual ground proof of it. Instead, what was possibly nothing more than a smuggling run gone bad at the hand of a trigger happy coast guard vessel captain.. and would have been turned to another file to kept in some locker.. was now blown into a massive drama by the Indian Media and attention hungry Indian Coast guard officials for which the MoD of India too had to pitch in to avoid embarrassment.

Not exactly, the rebuttal keeps talking of a transcript(which we know can be forged) as the MAIN basis for his article and then starts talking about the opinions from another online member. The rest of the post is more paranoid nationalism than actual rebuttal.
In that sense the rebuttal is still more informed and factually based (as well as verifiable) than the article being rebutted. What does the original author actually give in the way of evidence? His own personal opinion and unnamed "sources" (that too can be fictional).

If you don't accept the rebuttal on the basis of there not being enough evidence then using the same criteria you shouldn't accept the original article.

When blatant lies are being peddled as truth and nothing but the truth by esteemed members, indians have to react. After all, it is the job of the right to correct the wrong.

Question of being touched arises when there is a story I can relate to ! Touched only if these guys were fishermen. Duck if I am touched for smugglers or worse. Simply do not care.

Care a lot about safety of Indian coast guard personnel.

Yet it did not. If and Buts.. is all that this drama was about. If it had happened, we would see some actual ground proof of it. Instead, what was possibly nothing more than a smuggling run gone bad at the hand of a trigger happy coast guard vessel captain.. and would have been turned to another file to kept in some locker.. was now blown into a massive drama by the Indian Media and attention hungry Indian Coast guard officials for which the MoD of India too had to pitch in to avoid embarrassment.

God forbid, If it had happened. India Pakistan would have been again eye ball to eye ball.

And just don't come to a conclusion based on Praveen Swami's 'evidence'. I can say Praveen Swami's is pariah with Indian journalistic community and Indian government. He has no sources.

Indian media and Armed forces should appoint Ekta kapoor as their head, she will make more masala to their drama's

We showed up here because it was a clear success for our security agencies

There was NO embarrasment at all ; I dont know what do you mean by embarrasment

The ICG did its job ; the media only highlighted the possibility of a would be terror attack
being nuetralised

When we nuetralise ISI modules or spy rings or arrest Terrorists such as Yasin Bhatkal
that time too the media reports it

SInce it was a 26/11 PART Two in the making ; hence the SATURATION Coverage
by the media

But one thing is certain by Pakistani reaction that Indian media
does cause some serious heart burns to Pakistanis by their GUNG HO attitude

B6cI5jOCQAApMHN.jpg

For a number of important functionaries in the Indian Coast Guard, NTRO (the National Technical Research Organisation) and other members of the security establishment, New Year's Eve 2014 was not a time of celebrations. Most of them were at their desks as several surveillance aircraft and ships scoured the vast expanse of Arabian Sea off the Gujarat coast for a suspicious boat that had sailed from Karachi the previous evening.

The NTRO, with its electronic and cyberspace surveillance capability, had first chanced upon a conversation that spoke of 'delivering valuable cargo' on the India coast and that 'arrangements were made to receive it on the Western sea coast' on the morning of 31st December.

The call had originated in Karachi. Still it was only one input. The Coast Guard and the Navy, already on alert because of heightened tension with Pakistan were then informed. As the search was mounted by ships and airplanes, it was not until 11 PM on 31st December that a boat was spotted about 200 nautical miles off the coast of Porbandar.

Their suspicion aroused, a Coast Guard ship sought to intercept the fishing boat and investigate. Instead of cooperating with the Indian Coast Guard the fishing boat headed back towards the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL).

The Coast Guard, aware of the possibility of explosives and arms stored onboard kept circling around the boat which nevertheless continued its dash towards the IMBL. After about an hour of the cat and mouse game, the Coast Guard ship fired several warning shots. The occupants of the boat, perhaps running low on fuel, then set it on fire.

Several loud explosions occurred and a massive fire broke out on the boat. At least four men were spotted on the boat before it sank, a ministry of defence statement said.

Given that the attackers in the 26/11 mayhem had come into Mumbai via sea, immediate parallels were sought to be drawn to that episode but on available evidence, it is still not clear if Mumbai was the target or if the occupants on destroyed boat were assigned to carry out any terrorist attack. What is clear however is the boat was no ordinary fishing vessel.

Neither was the behaviour of the people on board normal. There have been suggestions that the boat was used by diesel and liquor smugglers. As Coast Guard officials point out, smugglers when caught don’t try to run away. Instead, they normally surrender. And they certainly don’t kill themselves. Occupants of the suspicious boat however not only behaved abnormally but chose to embrace death instead of being caught.

Why? Simply because they had something to hide even if one was to assume that they were not terrorists but were simply couriers out to deliver deadly cargo of explosives and arms.

A further search of the area is still on but the well coordinated operation shows that post-26/11, India's maritime surveillance and prevention capabilities have improved significantly. The coordination between different agencies is now almost real time as this operation has demonstrated. Despite such a progress there's no guarantee that future terror attacks can be prevented simply because terrorist have the luxury of choosing the time and space for the attack.

For the past three months, several intelligence inputs have indicated that Pakistan’s ISI continues its relentless attempts to send hit squads of the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) into India both through the land and maritime boundaries. Increased vigil by the Indian agencies has prevented any major attack so far but there is no room for self-congratulations or complacency as New Year day’s episode on the high seas has shown.

The Karachi boat wasn't an ordinary fishing vessel, writes Nitin Gokhale

I'm not willing to buy the 26/11 "part 2" just yet but some interesting counter-narrative points made that point out the flaws in this traitor's (Swami) article.

When blatant lies are being peddled as truth and nothing but the truth by esteemed members, indians have to react. After all, it is the job of the right to correct the wrong..

Provided they are right.. or what they believe to be right is even with proof. The only blatant lies that were being peddled were by the Indian media....

I'm not willing to buy the 26/11 "part 2" just yet but some interesting counter-narrative points made that point out the flaws in this traitor's (Swami) article.

Your need to qualify him as a traitor makes me less willing to buy what you are saying. Essentially this is no longer an objective truth but rather a nationalistic one looking to enforce that no wrong was done by the Indian side without looking to ascertain the facts.

Back
Top Bottom