What's new

Allama Iqbal: Poet of the East

How does this contradict what I stated?

There are Christian, Jewish, Hindu influences all over the world. But they are religious in nature. Are they not?
Read about Annemarie Schimmel, a famous German orientalist. She made Iqbal popular in German academia. Do you know what her profession was? She had a doctorate in Islamic Civilization and languages.

There is a difference between Shakespeare for example and poets like Iqbal or Tilak. The former is largely universal in appeal, the latter has selective audiences. Which is natural. The article accepts it, only the headline is what contradicts the reality.

Confucius, the Great Chinese poet or Thakur had a greater impact in the East. Tag some Chinese members for their inputs please. :)

64-2-gif.365899

Exactly.

Typically insecure, as usual trying to belittle a great poet. Are you done, or is there more?

He is Internationally recognized as a great philosopher, but your insecurities and inferiority complex drives you nuts. Nice!

Surprisingly a road name in Iran also
56f324b0c20a6.jpg
He wrote in Farsi, just like he did in Urdu, that is why Farsi speakers have deep love and respect for him and his work.

I used to sing his songs while in school. They are compulsory reading in JnK.
I have never said that.

He was a great Muslim poet with ideological mooring in Pan Islamism. He made no bones about it. The article also mentions that clearly. But he was not universal. Which is why his popularity has and will always be largely restricted to Muslims.
That said, I am proud of his Kashmiri heritage. I have read many of his works. Only Pakistan unfortunately does justice to his views. India teaches him upto his 'Indian patriot' phase, ignoring his later Islamic/Islamist works.

Go through Reconstruction of Religious Thought, one of his seminal works.
Who was the writer of the your famous "banday mataram or vanday mataram".?

He was a Great Philosopher and Poet , His work is not easy to understand for many .. we can say that without His Vision Pakistan will still remain a Dream for many ..His role in Creation of Pakistan was next to Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Muhammad Iqbal
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Born
9 November 1877
Sialkot, Punjab, British India
Died 21 April 1938 (aged 60)
Lahore, Punjab, British India
Other names Poet of the East
شاعر مشرق
Alma mater Scotch Mission College (F.A.)
Government College (B.A., M.A.)
University of Cambridge (B.A.)
University of Munich (Ph.D.)

Higher education in Europe
Iqbal was influenced by the teachings of Sir Thomas Arnold, his philosophy teacher at Government college Lahore. Arnold's teachings determined Iqbal to pursue higher education in the West, and in 1905, he travelled to England for that purpose. Iqbal qualified for a scholarship from Trinity College, University of Cambridge and obtained Bachelor of Arts in 1906, and in the same year he was called to the bar as a barrister from Lincoln's Inn. In 1907, Iqbal moved to Germany to pursue his doctoral studies, and earned a Doctor of Philosophy degree from the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich in 1908. Working under the guidance of Friedrich Hommel, Iqbal's doctoral thesis entitled The Development of Metaphysics in Persia was published.[12][24][25][26]

During Iqbal's stay in Heidelberg in 1907 his German teacher Emma Wegenast taught him about Goethe's Faust, Heine and Nietzsche.[27]
During his study in Europe, Iqbal began to write poetry in Persian. He prioritised it because he believed he had found an easy way to express his thoughts. He would write continuously in Persian throughout his life.[12]

This is my favorite verse. One can not imagine how Iqbal associate all the material world with virtuality and the Almighty with reality.
6.GIF

For once, O awaited Reality, reveal Yourself in a virtual form,
For a thousand prostrations are quivering eagerly in my submissive brow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom