What's new

All new CX-1 supersonic anti-ship cruise missile (ASCM) - Chinese Answer to Brahmos

You are correct - A hypothetical Chinese CBG would be nowhere close to a USN CBG in capabilities. However, I also think there's little to no chance of a Chinese carrier battlegroup fighting in India's backyard either. What would be the ultimate goal of something like that? China has declared core interests and the Indian Ocean is decidedly not on that list. Frankly, I think a Chinese/Indian clash at sea is highly unlikely unless it took place in the SCS. China simply has no interest in the Indian Ocean in which case it would be an Indian CBG versus a Chinese CBG plus Chinese assets from Hainan and whatever Chinese airfields existed in the Spratley's at that time.

True enough.I agree an indo china naval war is very remote possibility,and that itself would be mission accomplished for us.Keeping the PLAN out of the IOR will be objective achieved as far as In is concerned.An indian expeditionary force SCS would be suicide and out of the question as well.
The only ultimate goal i can think of for PLAN forces in IOR maybe to break a potential IN blockade on the malacca chokepoint on chinese oil tankers in case of a indo china land war.

True enough.I agree an indo china naval war is very remote possibility,and that itself would be mission accomplished for us.Keeping the PLAN out of the IOR will be objective achieved as far as In is concerned.An indian expeditionary force SCS would be suicide and out of the question as well.
The only ultimate goal i can think of for PLAN forces in IOR maybe to break a potential IN blockade on the malacca chokepoint on chinese oil tankers in case of a indo china land war.

Indeed. And I don't think it's so much that India needs to keep the PLAN out of the Indian Ocean Region but more likely that the PLAN will keep itself out, port calls to friendly nations not withstanding. Despite a lot of China threat hype, China really isn't the type of country to expend resources on unnecessary and militarily indefensible overseas bases.

As for breaking the blockade on Chinese oil tankers - I think China recognizes that vulnerability and that's why China is diversifying its energy imports. Similarly, blockading oil tankers in a limited war is a dicey proposition. Who's to say an oil tanker is heading to China or Japan? One mis-identification (like during the Iran/Iraq tanker war) would possibly lead to US involvement if for no other reason than to guarantee freedom of navigation.

Of course Indian Brahmos, the future of the JV is assured, without Russian MOS India would be selling Bra (s) instead! :omghaha::omghaha:

If you know nothing,its better to shut up,troll

brahmos-2_1.jpg

I told them the supersonic missile is a good target to intercept by modern air-defense system, high heat & high flight trajectory is the weakness. All Top5 mainly developing the stealth subsonic anti-ship missile, long range & very low flight trajectroy to avoid radar search & supersonic attack at the end of flight ... especially Indian members only talk about "Brahmos", so i give it up.

CX-1 is China export missile, PLA never equip it. This is China future subsonic anti-ship missile looks like:
View attachment 147767
View attachment 147768

CX-1 or Brahmos supersonice anti-ship missile, all have high flight trajectory, that like a Mig-21. It's no any problem for Top5 to hit down a supersonic Mig-21.
img_20141107_235215-jpg.147716
That's why PLA like YJ18 more.

booster rocket same as the M20‘s solid rocket motor
So?You still have to intercept a manuevering mach 3 target in sea skimming mode-thats easier said than done.
Also the chinese ship area defense missile systems are based on russian s-300 series and are particularly vulnerable to sea skimmers.They have high range against aircraft (120 km+) but very low against cruise missiles(15-20kms).Even if u detect the missile ur still going to have to physically intercept it at the last phase .

What i'm wondering about is if klub sizzler is indeed the best option because it offers the best of both worlds-apparently subsonic approach with final supersonic sprint why IN chose brahmos for its future ships when it has easy access to klub.For example first batch of talwar class had klubs,but second batch was specified to be employed with brahmos.
Yes,a mach 3 target in sea skimming is very hard to intercept.
Although we have great point defence systems(1130),one cannon may only take 1 missile down at the last phase.
But a missile like Brahmos or Ruby or CX-1 take sea skimming mode for whole time will cut their range to half.
It's ideal is perfect for period of cold war.
You are right about Klub.Nowadays a missile with long range and full time sea skimming with final supersonic sprint mode is the trend. Not full time hypersonic.
That's why we don't choose cx-1.
It is still a good weapon,but not advance enough.
Brahmos too.
I think IN chose Brahmos because Russians are willing to share the tech of Ruby.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever wondered why the USN and USAF don't use supersonic cruise and anti-ship missiles? It isn't that they can't build them, they most certainly can, but that there are downsides to supersonic speeds. Yes, the kinetic energy of a high speed object is enough to defeat many ships without the need for a warhead and their speed complicates and shortens countermeasure responses, but the range and maneuverability of supersonic systems compromises their overall effectiveness. Subsonic systems such as the HN-2000 and its US counterpart the Tomahawk have long-ranges, can be reprogrammed for different targets mid-flight or have their flights terminated, they can loiter and look for targets, and they can carry massive payloads. Supersonic missiles have smaller payloads, but this tends to be offset by their kinetic energy, shorter ranges and shorter flight times which means that the missile cannot be reprogrammed for a different target. The Russians, seeing the limitations of supersonic missiles, have even begun to use subsonic systems with a last minute high-speed dash (the Klub system) instead of true supersonic missiles. Both have their limitations and each can be easily defeated. The CX-1 and similar systems are not the boogeyman that people claim they are either.

I disagree with one point sir..

Klub is an old missiles,a project conceived way before Brahmos or other missiles.
Russia is using Supersonic Missiles for a long time for similar role.Eg. Moskit.

its not that these systems can't be defeated,but the speed makes it more difficult to intercept.see,USA even found it difficult to intercept subsonic cruise missiles.

about CX-1,I'd wait before some specs come up.its just a mock up,and Supersonic ASCM is been here for quite long time.I'd think its better not to compare an evolved missile like Brahmos which belongs to a different class due to the capability to address a whole range of threats and its not just an ASCM anymore.rather,I'd compare it with HF-3 of Taiwan.

most probably russians shared all the test data and all the tech. of Brahmos to Chinese :patsak:,
better India moves on to western weapons for our JVs.
russians can not be trusted more as they are becoming too dependent on chinese.

most probably russians shared all the test data and all the tech. of Brahmos to Chinese :patsak:,
better India moves on to western weapons for our JVs.
russians can not be trusted more as they are becoming too dependent on chinese.
Russians are not that generous.
Maybe we figure that out by ourselves from producing Mig21:D

Russians are not that generous.
Maybe we figure that out by ourselves from producing Mig21:D

everything has a price, and PLA have very deep pockets for few billion $ chinese can buy anything from russians, I am sure chinese behind the curtains must be negotiating for 5th gen engines.

I disagree with one point sir..

Klub is an old missiles,a project conceived way before Brahmos or other missiles.
Russia is using Supersonic Missiles for a long time for similar role.Eg. Moskit.

its not that these systems can't be defeated,but the speed makes it more difficult to intercept.see,USA even found it difficult to intercept subsonic cruise missiles.

about CX-1,I'd wait before some specs come up.its just a mock up,and Supersonic ASCM is been here for quite long time.I'd think its better not to compare an evolved missile like Brahmos which belongs to a different class due to the capability to address a whole range of threats and its not just an ASCM anymore.rather,I'd compare it with HF-3 of Taiwan.
What I interested is Brahmos-M

What I interested is Brahmos-M
I wonder why???its just a miniaturized version of Brahmos which will be carried by Aircraft.I wonder whats new in it..

you guys should be interested in Brahmos-2,Hypersonic Cruise Missile(Mach-7).

this one..

800px-A_scaled_down_model_of_Brahmos-II_at_Aero_India_2013.jpg

everything has a price, and PLA have very deep pockets for few billion $ chinese can buy anything from russians, I am sure chinese behind the curtains must be negotiating for 5th gen engines.
There is rumors that we are interested in the 117s. Russian 5th gen engines is still developing and not that attracting..

Back
Top Bottom