What's new

Alice Wells is trying hard to woo Imran Khan...

That's fine, but you're missing my point - whether it was called aid or not or structured as aid or not is not the issue. Either way the problem was that the billions in aid/service charges/transit fees (or whatever you want to call it) was indicative of a transactional relationship. What little convergence the US & Pakistan had was tactical, over some goals in Afghanistan. There was not attempt made by the US to engage with Pakistan to build a longer term strategic relationship based on trade, investment & people to people contacts. Musharraf tried to push for a trade deal, Free Trade zones in FATA & KP etc, to no avail. This was a major miscalculation by the US, perhaps assuming that Pakistan would be satisfied with billions in aid and the token MNNA status.

Hi,

The difference is that with the usage of the term AID---we got into the SERVITUDE of the americans---.

Aid is related to poor weak and the meek---. In the wot---it was the payment for the military deployment in that region---.

Incidently---we did not charge them for using our highways and destroying them by sending heavy heavy loads over them---no charges for air passage facilities---.

We did not charge them pushing thousands of taliban in droves across our border into pakistan by strategic and tactical bombing---.

We have not talked to the world about it and presented out case---.

Any DO MORE could be retorted by PAY MORE---.

Do you people know that the WOT---THE WAR ON TERROR ended after the first three days of US air strikes---and it changed to Freedom and Rebuilding of Afghanistan---that is what the Republican spokeperson " Sean Hannity " told the other guy when he asked---'what is happening here---why are there no troops on the ground---why are we letting the al qaeda escape---'.

Hannity replied---" we are done with the war---we are into freeing afg and rebuilding afg---".

The deceit and deception of the US military conquest was clearly evident from day 4 onwards---even though it started even before the war started---.

Last edited:
1 - Most of the CPEC projects are resource by importing chinese labour in from China,

Labour is all Pakistani! Supervisors are Pakistani too but project managers are Chinese. You will only see Chinese machine operators on speciality machines.

Just go to the motorways and powerplants construction sites and see for yourself. Even in construction videos of these projects, one mostly sees Pakistanis.

Labour is all Pakistani! Supervisors are Pakistani too but project managers are Chinese. You will only see Chinese machine operators on speciality machines.

Just go to the motorways and powerplants construction sites and see for yourself. Even in construction videos of these projects, one mostly sees Pakistanis.
I have seen it too.

Are there jobs for Fresh Mechanical Engineers?

Problem with Pakistan and other developing countries we never strengthened by training our labor force and/or invested in new machinery and equipment - for China, they don't have the time to train Pakistanis & Co., however I do believe in certain aspects a joint training mechanism (mentorship) training schools should be developed and establishment across Pakistan.

I would even advocate a Community College type system - where those with tight financial circumstances can learn associate level courses and training for free. Bring in lecturers or adjunct faculty from abroad.

Those are good points, and definitely something to think about. Why aren't the Chinese training young Pakistanis to do these infrastructure projects and why arent local companies are given a share?

But the real question is why would the Chinese do that? Why should the Chinese train people in Pakistan?

The facts are simple, Pakistan over the past few decades has failed to train a meaningful labor force. There is massive intellectual flight within Pakistan because of the rampant corruption and lack of opportunities.
To even train a proper mason takes years and those days are gone now people use machines. Training technicians, engineers and other human capital required for the CPEC will take literally decades.
Think about why India can't compete with the Chinese. It is not because there aren't enough young people in India. Its because India doesn't already have the skilled labor force required to compete with China. Just like china doesn't have enough English speakers to compete with the Indians in customer service jobs.

So the number one question is why would the Chinese wait that long, when they could do it themselves and sure up their shipping and fuel routes? Do you hear about the South China sea any more?. No, you don't because the Chinese are now looking into Gwadar and CPEC. So the Americans are crying wolf.
The Chinese will always think about themselves first and then the iron brother. They are on a timeline, and their philosophy is to not confront the west with ships but to ring them out dry with economics.

All this CPEC talk is meaningless already. I think this project is doomed to fail because we have leaders like that lady in the audience who was in the senate. She barely knows how to speak and represented how many people?
The Chinese have already started looking at alternatives like Iran.

Pakistan since its inspection has not had free thinkers and never trained free thinkers. After the British left, Pakistan went towards the Americans/Arabs and shunned the Soviets. Today we are again at the schism, and we are shunning one side over the other. instead of thinking for ourselves we have this lady telling us how to think through her Fulbright program. Once the mind goes then goes all else and that's how the American establishment thinks.

The Chinese are a really good option. It is the only country that does full technology transfers with us, defends us on the world stage and has helped with our security. No other country has done that, especially not the western ones. but we have to be smart. Once, CPEC is operational then Pakistan will become a security issue for the Chinese. Then there is a possibility that we will change our slave collar from the west to the Chinese.

Do You like women with strabismus and frontal bossing hehe?

Exactly, and as stated in my post we should take this opportunity and establish vocational schools and have those Chinese train our work force - and mentionship opportunity while they develop CPEC

Are there jobs for Fresh Mechanical Engineers?

No company hires fresh graduates for one off projects with strict deadlines, anywhere in the world. Unless you were seeking labourer job, but do you have any experience in doing a hard day's labour?

My personal opinion is that when people try to equate Pakistan and GCC, they make a key assumption, which is my view is fundamentally incorrect. This key assumption is that Pakistan's present and future lies with GCC due to geographical location and religious connection. But my opinion is that Pakistan's future DOES NOT lie with GCC; Pakistan's future lies with China and Central Asia. Pakistan's location naturally justifies this.
Pakistan chose the USA over the USSR during the Cold War...

Pakistan has chosen China over the USA in this Civilization War....

Hi,

I was laughing at the desperation shown by her---. Surprised---surprised---surprised---.

That was at first---now I am getting concerned---. Had time to analyze---.

Nawaz Sharif is gone to england----Alice Wells speech comes out at a critical time---.

The Sharifs are ready to sell pakistan one more time---.

If Zardari is let go---then Zardaris would be selling pakistan as well.

Bad bad mistake by Imran Khan letting Nawaz go---.
They ago abroad, get repackaged by their minders, and then come back to screw the country.

Alice Wells is trying hard to woo Imran Khan...

I see that generally the view on this forum is pessimistic. When you see "old hands" from San Fran displaying Old Glory; yet using words like 'deception' & 'deceit' for their adopted homeland - well it hurts a little bit.

So looking past all that acrimony, I hope readers/members here recognize that the discourse in the U.S. is changing about Pakistan. Ms. Wells reflects that new direction U.S. is taking. I thought it was fairly balanced, there was no 'scapegoating' or 'do more mantra' nor any mention of Terror, Afghanistan, Nuclear proliferation or the 'Billions in Aid'.

Now I would not go as far as editorializing this as "wooing of the Great Khan from Mianwali", but Trump administration is making a course correction in policy towards the Greater Middle East & South Central Asia. It is going to be very hard to extricate from the muddled policy previous democratic administration of Obama/Biden bequoth Mr. Trump. In my opinion, Obama may have been the worst U.S. President for Pakistan. I will elaborate some other time; despite knowing what Pakistan meant to US Global policy, he foolhardily "dialed up the pain level' while playing footsie with MMS and later Narendra. He only listened to his inner circle at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Alice may have alluded to a major shift in how US sees the "new" Pakistan under Imran Khan. Back in 2011, Pakistan desperately needed a change of narrative from 'terror hub' & 'failing state' to development and martial plan. Well, when a Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary talks about US vying for a role in development in Pakistan's future - Titans in Industry & Finance across the western world pay heed. This means Pakistan is now in an enviable position whereby American, European, and Asian commerce will have to compete in Pakistan. I mean why deny yourselves off from American, Japanese or European contribution to a promising future. If Pakistan can balance/blend the Chinese efforts/interests with US/European investment and technology, Pakistan can be a place where everyone comes to jostle economically. Singapore has been doing it for decades but you can take this to a whole new level given the size of your nation and inherent strengths. Simply following purely Chinese rules of the road may be nice but there may be better options out there. If one does not explore these tantalizing avenues opening up for Pakistan, then one may never know.......

Paks should welcome two global powers competing for Pakistan's development- one the current Hyperpower and the other a worthy contender. America is not wooing Khan but the young Paks who voted him in.

I see that generally the view on this forum is pessimistic. When you see "old hands" from San Fran displaying Old Glory; yet using words like 'deception' & 'deceit' for their adopted homeland - well it hurts a little bit.

So looking past all that acrimony, I hope readers/members here recognize that the discourse in the U.S. is changing about Pakistan. Ms. Wells reflects that new direction U.S. is taking. I thought it was fairly balanced, there was no 'scapegoating' or 'do more mantra' nor any mention of Terror, Afghanistan, Nuclear proliferation or the 'Billions in Aid'.

Now I would not go as far as editorializing this as "wooing of the Great Khan from Mianwali", but Trump administration is making a course correction in policy towards the Greater Middle East & South Central Asia. It is going to be very hard to extricate from the muddled policy previous democratic administration of Obama/Biden bequoth Mr. Trump. In my opinion, Obama may have been the worst U.S. President for Pakistan. I will elaborate some other time; despite knowing what Pakistan meant to US Global policy, he foolhardily "dialed up the pain level' while playing footsie with MMS and later Narendra. He only listened to his inner circle at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Alice may have alluded to a major shift in how US sees the "new" Pakistan under Imran Khan. Back in 2011, Pakistan desperately needed a change of narrative from 'terror hub' & 'failing state' to development and martial plan. Well, when a Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary talks about US vying for a role in development in Pakistan's future - Titans in Industry & Finance across the western world pay heed. This means Pakistan is now in an enviable position whereby American, European, and Asian commerce will have to compete in Pakistan. I mean why deny yourselves off from American, Japanese or European contribution to a promising future. If Pakistan can balance/blend the Chinese efforts/interests with US/European investment and technology, Pakistan can be a place where everyone comes to jostle economically. Singapore has been doing it for decades but you can take this to a whole new level given the size of your nation and inherent strengths. Simply following purely Chinese rules of the road may be nice but there may be better options out there. If one does not explore these tantalizing avenues opening up for Pakistan, then one may never know.......

Paks should welcome two global powers competing for Pakistan's development- one the current Hyperpower and the other a worthy contender. America is not wooing Khan but the young Paks who voted him in.

The Americans need to mind their own business. The time of wooing anyone is over.

Pakistan is now going to focus on strengthening its relationship with a trusted and friendly ally China.

To Alice Wells,

1933 Executive Order 6102 - the illegal act which allowed Federal Reserve (Zionist owners)to usurp 40% of all gold in America.

1944 Bretten Woods Agreement - that single handedly tipped the scales for America to dominate this world by issuing a global ban on countries using gold for domestic commerce. U.S Dollar redeemable with Gold, following the gold standard used by it's predecessor, the British Empire. Effectively making the US Dollar the reserve currency of the world.

1971 French Warships in New York - France sent warships to America in order to collect it's gold from the New York Federal Reserve, in exchange for it's dollar reserves, as per the Bretten Woods System.

September 1971 Collapse of Bretten Woods - President Nixon announces the unilateral withdrawal of the United States from the Bretten Woods Agreement, in effect ushering the total collapse of the Bretten Woods System.

1974 the Birth of the U.S Dollar - America manages to pursuade Saudi monarchy to sell their oil in only U.S Dollars.

1975 OPEC & the U.S Dollar domination- Saudi Monarchy manages to have all OPEC members sell oil in only U.S Dollars. Effectively reinstating America as the pre-imminent global economic power.

Lecturing us about unfair China? That's kinda rich coming from a country that has invaded, bombed and imposed economic sanctions on countries like Grenada, Panama, Iraq, Korea, Syria, Libya, Somalia, Yugoslavia, Germany, Pakistan, Yemen and etc. Keep your hypocritical bullshit to yourself. You (America) are nothing more than a disappointment, a disgrace to all that is human and good. You keeled over for your Zionist Masters, just like your predecessors (Britain & France).

US brings China trade war to Pakistan
By
Staff Report
-
November 22, 2019
5-4.jpg

–Alice Wells says Pakistan faces long-term economic damage if China keeps pursuing its giant infrastructure push

–Says China relies primarily on Chinese workers and supplies even amid rising unemployment in Pakistan

–Chinese envoy Yao says CPEC projects ‘clean and transparent’, warns US against ‘propaganda’

WASHINGTON/ISLAMABAD: The United States has warned Pakistan that it faced long-term economic damage with little return if China keeps pursuing its giant infrastructure push, prompting the Chinese envoy to Islamabad to warn Washington over causing aspersions over something “they don’t have accurate information on”.

The top US diplomat for South Asia, Alice Wells, said on Thursday that the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) — heralded as a game-changer by both Asian countries — would profit only Beijing, adding that the United States offered a better model.

“It’s clear, or it needs to be clear, that CPEC is not about aid,” said Alice Wells, the acting assistant secretary of state for South Asia.

She noted that the multibillion-dollar initiative was driven by non-concessionary loans, with Chinese companies sending their own labour and material.

“CPEC relies primarily on Chinese workers and supplies, even amid rising unemployment in Pakistan,” Wells said at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars.

The corridor “is going to take a growing toll on the Pakistan economy, especially when the bulk of payments start to come due in the next four to six years,” she said.

“Even if loan payments are deferred, they are going to continue to hang over Pakistan’s economic development potential, hamstringing Prime Minister (Imran) Khan’s reform agenda,” she said.

The United States has gone on the offensive against China’s Belt and Road Initiative, a signature project of President Xi Jinping which aims to build ports, highways and railways around the world.

But Wells’ speech was unusually specific in warning of risks to Pakistan, a historic ally of the United States which has had a turbulent relationship with Washington in recent years over Islamabad’s alleged ties with Afghan Taliban.

While acknowledging that the United States could not come to Pakistan with offers from state-run companies, Wells said private US investment, coupled with US grants, would improve the troubled economy’s fundamentals.

“There is a different model,” she said. “Worldwide we see that US companies bring more than just capital; they bring values, processes and expertise that build the capacities of local economies.”

She pointed to interest in Pakistan by US companies including Uber, Exxon Mobil, PepsiCo and Coca-Cola, with the soft-drink makers together investing $1.3 billion in the country.

CPEC PROJECTS ‘CLEAN AND TRANSPARENT:

Responding to Alice Wells’ remarks, Chinese Ambassador to Pakistan Yao Jing on Friday said that China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) had brought phenomenal economic success to Pakistan and produced tangible economic benefits for the people.

Addressing the inaugural ceremony of the fifth CPEC Media Forum hosted jointly by the Chinese embassy, Pakistan-China Institute and China Economic Net, the ambassador said CPEC is fulfilling the country’s energy needs, providing 30 percent of total electricity generation and providing energy security for economic development in the country.

inp-22-34.jpg

“If the US is really concerned about the lack of electricity in Pakistan, why didn’t American companies come to build power stations before 2014,” Ambassador Yao said.

The Chinese ambassador said he was ‘shocked and surprised’ at Wells’ remarks over CPEC which he said ‘fully exposed’ her ignorance of Pakistan-China relations.

He said that both Pakistan and China agreed that all projects related to CPEC are “clean and transparent”.

“We welcome American investments in Pakistan and we don’t have a problem with it. But the US should not cause aspersions over something they don’t have accurate information on,” said Ambassador Jing.

He said 75,000 Pakistanis are directly employed in CPEC projects while there are 200,000 indirect beneficiaries and that over 100 Pakistani companies are involved in CPEC projects, which will generate 2.3 million jobs till 2030 and will contribute 2-2.5pc to Pakistan’s GDP.

Alice Wells' remarks about CPEC 'repetition of old slander': Chinese foreign ministry
Dawn.comNovember 26, 2019
Facebook Count45
Twitter Share

5ddcebb632305.jpg

"I'm afraid certain individuals in the US are not bad at math, but rather misguided by evil calculations," Chinese Foreign Ministry's spokesperson Geng Shuang says. — Chinese foreign ministry website/File
Chinese Foreign Ministry's spokesperson Geng Shuang termed United States Assistant Secretary Alice Wells' recent comments on the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC) programme as "mere repetition of old slanders against China, the CPEC and the BRI".

During a press briefing on Monday, Geng pointed out that Wells' claims had swiftly been refuted by the Chinese ambassador to Pakistan as well as top government officials in Islamabad, including the foreign minister.

He was responding to a question regarding remarks made by Wells last week in which she warned that CPEC will add to Pakistan's debt woes. In a speech, described as “unusually specific” by the international media, the top US diplomat had said that CPEC was not an aid to Pakistan but a form of financing that guarantees profits for Chinese state-owned enterprises, with little benefits for Islamabad. Wells also emphasised the need for Pakistan to know that China was providing loans, not grants, as the US.

In his press briefing on Monday, Geng slammed Wells' statements and said: "China and Pakistan have clarified and refuted such smears time and again. However, some in the US still use the same old script. They don't stop though the show has become a complete disaster, and they don't get off the stage even when booed by the audience."

ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD
He went on to say that China puts "Pakistani people's interests first" and insisted that CPEC's projects had led to creation of employment for the locals and improvement in transportation and power infrastructure. He claimed that CPEC projects had also "contributed one to two per cent" to Pakistan's economic growth.

"The US side, in total disregard of facts, has been talking all about the fabricated 'debt issue' with the true aim to disrupt CPEC development and sow discord in China-Pakistan relations with malicious calculations," Geng regretted. He rejected the claims that China was creating a debt trap for Pakistan, saying that more than 80 per cent of the CPEC projects were being funded by direct investment or grants from China.

"According to statistics released by the Pakistani side, debt incurred from the CPEC stands at 4.9 billion US dollars, less than one-tenth of Pakistan's total debt.

"I'm afraid certain individuals in the US are not bad at math, but rather misguided by evil calculations," he said.

Soon after Wells' comments last week, Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi declared that Pakistan had " rejected that view". He added: "We do not think that the burden of CPEC will increase our debt burden."

Planning Minister Asad Umar also dismissed Wells' claims and said that Pakistan's mounting debt crisis had "nothing to do with China".

On Monday, US Ambassador to Pakistan Paul W. Jones clarified that Wells' remarks were "meant to generate a debate". He said that Pakistan had the sovereign right to make its decisions.

CPEC, PAK US TIES , PAK CHINA TIES
WORLD

Zionist owned America will try to sabotage CPEC via WB/IMF. These imbeciles are obsessed with maintaining American hegemony over the world, in order prevent any nation to become strong enough to challenge America and it's allies (Britain, France & NATO). They (Zionists) do not want other countries to grow stronger, are uninfluenced by them (Zionists), uncorrupted by them (Zionists) and who will challenge the Zionist-American hegemony by joining the challenger powers (Russia & China). Because then you would have countries like Pakistan, Venezuela, Iran, Malaysia, Indonesia and etc that may form a military alliance with Russia & China which can match and challenge NATO.

China or Pakistan or Iran should not ever forget that Russia is the challenger to Zionist-America and NATO. China, Pakistan or Iran should not forget that they cannot challenge Zionist-America/NATO without being in alliance with Russia. Do NOT make the mistake to thinking that you can do it alone. You can't and you won't, unless you become a firm ally with Russia.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom