What's new

Alan Warnes Discloses

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Guys, spoke to the editor of AFM, Alan Warnes today, who is just back from Pakistan after exclusively covering the High Mark 2010 from various aspects. During his stay in Pakistan, he visited several airbases including Minhas, Masroor, Rafiqui, Sargodha as well as a FOB and the firing range. The highlight of his visit was flying in an F-16B in formation with four JF-17 Thunders for a photo shoot during which the JF-17s conducted live bombing runs. Albeit most of his time consumed in and around Kamra/Minhas, he also spent a night each in Masroor and Rafiqu airbases and describes the activities in Masroor as par with any NATO airfield. From Sargodha he witnessed the effort mounted by the PAF for the WOT, during his stay he claims to have seen several F-16s sorties in this regard mainly armed with LGBs and Mavericks. Alan is full of praise for the Airchief for his dedication in leading from the front example, he was astonished to discover that the PAF Airchief, during the whole period of Highmark, remained 24/7 with his crew at one or another Airbase, personally overlooking the whole event. Clearing up the confusion regarding the F-16 delivery schedule, however four Block-52s are due to arrive in June, and as for the CFT controversy, apparently all PAF Block-52 F-16s are plumbed to adopt and carry the CFTs, but due to the extra drag, the tanks will only be deployed during special long range missions.
The JF-17 is proving to be an excellent platform and the PAF has it's hands full with this aircraft hence the induction of the J-10 is some time away.
It's worth noting that the June issue of the Air Forces Monthly magazine will contain a 12 page article by Alan Warnes covering the Highmark 2010, and later in the year, the magazine will carry a supplement on the JF-17. A video on the performance of the JF-17 should also be soon available for viewing on the publishers website.
Separately, Alan told me that former PAF Airchief Anwar Shamim, who sadly is suffering from cancer, is bringing out his own book titled, "My years with the PAF".

yar bhai ALAN WARNER ne itna kuch dekh lia magar ya nahin bataya k PAF ne THAL RANGE me H2 missile fire kia tha or me ne is ke detail or pic book me de hai...!:undecided:

yar bhai ALAN WARNER ne itna kuch dekh lia magar ya nahin bataya k PAF ne THAL RANGE me H2 missile fire kia tha or me ne is ke detail or pic book me de hai...!:undecided:

I will ask him next time, albeit he did say there are some surprises in the forthcoming article on the PAF.

I will ask him next time, albeit he did say there are some surprises in the forthcoming article on the PAF.

What about the news regarding Fc-20's ,As last time it appeared in an article that Paf has still not signed a contract for it and will only sign contract after observing the performance of j-10 in PLAAF fleet after its induction

Was it rumor or is it true that Paf is not certain about fc-20

What about the news regarding Fc-20's ,As last time it appeared in an article that Paf has still not signed a contract for it and will only sign contract after observing the performance of j-10 in PLAAF fleet after its induction

Was it rumor or is it true that Paf is not certain about fc-20

As stated earlier, PAF is pretty well occupied with the production and induction of the JF-17s, there of running another parallel project is not feasible, the Thunder seems to have adequately met the PAF's requirements hence the J-10 prospective is some years away.
Keep in mind that the Block-52s will also start arriving from June onwards.

Last edited:
Hi, I personally think the PAF has its hands full. It is currently integrating the Il-78 Midas tanker/transport, JF-17, F-16s Block 52, Saab Erieye, Spada 2000, and Falco UAVs in its inventory. Moreover, working on upgrading the JF-17 with new capabilities is also a huge draw on resources. The FC-20 can wait for a bit. Thanks!

Windjammer,

thank you for this invaluable information. I will be sure to keep my eyes out for that AFM edition.

Firstly Thank you windjammer for this valuable input.As to the induction schedule of FC20, it was always unrealistic in thwe first plane to induct 3 new platforms in 1-2 yrs(2010-11). We still have time till 2011-12.At the moment there are no significant threats from the East either.So it seems prudent to induct F16s, and thunder,and then look forward to FC20.
araz

Back in 2009, ACM Rao Qamar Suleman said:
Following the signing of a contract, it will take two to two-and-a-half years before the first FC-20 aircraft is received.
So time frame for the induction of FC-20 (J-10) depends on signing of the contract.

Thanks for the great news Windjammer! June issue of AFM is only a week away and I can't wait to get it. The prospect of a JF-17 supplement later on is just mouth watering. Given Alan's lengthy stay I expect we may be treated to other goodies in forthcoming issues.

Alan Warnes has contributed so much to promoting Pakistan's image and projecting the PAF ..... the guy deserves a medal or honourary nationality .... or something.

Back
Top Bottom