What's new

Al-Khalid tank (Type 90-IIM / MBT-2000) Information Pool

Upgraded variant of Pakistan's Al-Khalid MBT will soon be ready to deploy.

Al-Khalid is jointly produced by Pakistan and China and is one of the most capable Tank in the world. The New Al Khalid I & II versions will be denoted "Super Al Khalid" - SAK

(Super Al-Khalid I & II) or Al-Khalid – Upgraded variant is in testing as of April 2009. Incorporates modifications made to the fire-control system, sensors, IBMS, side-skirts, track pads, auto-loader (rate of fire increased to 9 rounds per minute), Ukrainian Varta electro-optical jammer (disrupts laser rangefinders, laser designators and anti-tank guided missile tracking systems), Sagem third-generation thermal imagers and improved air conditioning system.

Upgraded new Super Al Khalid MBTs with combination of new armor and optional Explosives Reactive Armor (ERA) can withstand all known 120mm and 125mm rounds. Upgrade also includes improved transmission and electronic turret control for the Al Khalid Tanks. Tank also offers improved protection for the NBC (Nuclear, Biological & chemical) warfare.

Pakistani Al Khalid Tanks are equipped with Integrated Battle Management System (IBMS) and new active threat-protection system. Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) has also increased Al Khalid's weapon carrying capability and now it will be able to carry 49 125mm HEAT & APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) and Naiza 125 mm DU rounds, 1,500 12.7mm and 7,100 7.62mm rounds.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...k-ak-i-ii-main-battle-tank.html#ixzz2MYKOeDRQ

Guys i have heared from more than 3 morrocan friends that the Morrocan Tank is not VT1-A but Alkhalid He gave me proof that there were Paksitani officers too during induction Ceremony. Alkhalid Production in pakistan started in 2002 with full scale and almost 50 tanks a year and pakistan alkhalid number is b/w 500 but there is still problem that Those Morroccan Quoted that there were pakistani officers not Chinese :/
Please Shed light on this.

Guys i have heared from more than 3 morrocan friends that the Morrocan Tank is not VT1-A but Alkhalid He gave me proof that there were Paksitani officers too during induction Ceremony. Alkhalid Production in pakistan started in 2002 with full scale and almost 50 tanks a year and pakistan alkhalid number is b/w 500 but there is still problem that Those Morroccan Quoted that there were pakistani officers not Chinese :/
Please Shed light on this.

please post the source of your news

which forum?

The Guys are Facebook friends living in Morroco

i doubt it, it could be mbt 2000 but not AK, had it be AK, HIT would have sold it to Morocco not Norinco, presence of Pak troops there is no big deal as both tanks are based on the same platform i.e. Type-90IIM

Since a deal is now signed between Pak and China, any sale from here on will be considered as a joint deal but Morocco and BD deal took place before MoU signing.

Upgraded variant of Pakistan's Al-Khalid MBT will soon be ready to deploy.

Al-Khalid is jointly produced by Pakistan and China and is one of the most capable Tank in the world. The New Al Khalid I & II versions will be denoted "Super Al Khalid" - SAK

(Super Al-Khalid I & II) or Al-Khalid – Upgraded variant is in testing as of April 2009. Incorporates modifications made to the fire-control system, sensors, IBMS, side-skirts, track pads, auto-loader (rate of fire increased to 9 rounds per minute), Ukrainian Varta electro-optical jammer (disrupts laser rangefinders, laser designators and anti-tank guided missile tracking systems), Sagem third-generation thermal imagers and improved air conditioning system.

Upgraded new Super Al Khalid MBTs with combination of new armor and optional Explosives Reactive Armor (ERA) can withstand all known 120mm and 125mm rounds. Upgrade also includes improved transmission and electronic turret control for the Al Khalid Tanks. Tank also offers improved protection for the NBC (Nuclear, Biological & chemical) warfare.

Pakistani Al Khalid Tanks are equipped with Integrated Battle Management System (IBMS) and new active threat-protection system. Heavy Industries Taxila (HIT) has also increased Al Khalid's weapon carrying capability and now it will be able to carry 49 125mm HEAT & APFSDS (Armor Piercing Fin Stabilized Discarding Sabot) and Naiza 125 mm DU rounds, 1,500 12.7mm and 7,100 7.62mm rounds.

Source: http://www.defence.pk/forums/pakist...k-ak-i-ii-main-battle-tank.html#ixzz2MYKOeDRQ

Thats very impressive fire rate.

What about ATGM .I heard this turret is modified to fire one . How many SAK can carry ?

ATGM is fitted inside the autoloader, Kombat ATGM from Ukraine

Nabil,

What would be the firm number of AK.....all models....in PA inventory?

Weren't we suppose to have replaced all the old tanks with AK by now?

Nabil,

What would be the firm number of AK.....all models....in PA inventory?

Weren't we suppose to have replaced all the old tanks with AK by now?

Brother,,

i can just speculate but initially they were looking at around 600 mbts overall, however, the requirement has gone up to around 800-1000, this includes ALL verions, it will also replace T-85IIAP soon so it makes sense that the most numerous verison will be AK-1.

We may see Ak-2 equipping only elite units, similar to what Chinese have done with Type-99 series. Lets see what the future unfolds

Brother,,

i can just speculate but initially they were looking at around 600 mbts overall, however, the requirement has gone up to around 800-1000, this includes ALL verions, it will also replace T-85IIAP soon so it makes sense that the most numerous verison will be AK-1.

We may see Ak-2 equipping only elite units, similar to what Chinese have done with Type-99 series. Lets see what the future unfolds

Yaraa, a few questions, if you will :

(i) What would constitute (even roughly) an 'Elite Unit' within an Armored Corp ?

(ii) What would these Elites Units be tasked with doing, especially in the context of Pakistan, which would be different than what the Regular Units be doing ?

(iii) I hope that Elite here does not constitute something of an Upper-Lower tier combo like Saddam's Republican Guards (well armed, well trained) & the Regular Iraqi Army (not so well armed & not so well trained) !

How much percentage of work being done on ak-2?
wikipedia showed that 2 prototypes are being tested.

Yaraa, a few questions, if you will :

(i) What would constitute (even roughly) an 'Elite Unit' within an Armored Corp ?

(ii) What would these Elites Units be tasked with doing, especially in the context of Pakistan, which would be different than what the Regular Units be doing ?

(iii) I hope that Elite here does not constitute something of an Upper-Lower tier combo like Saddam's Republican Guards (well armed, well trained) & the Regular Iraqi Army (not so well armed & not so well trained) !

1. Elite units in terms of PA would be something which is old. An old unit in one definition is considered as old. 2ndly the best equipped unit is elite, meaning units equipped with AKs, T-80UDs are said to be elite units as they hold the best tanks in the inventory.

2. These elite armored formations would be tasked with the most difficult or made the spear of any offensive operation.

3. No, training in PA / Armored Corps is all equal for all units, its just the equipment which matters, but that also in some units, once we have more of these advanced tanks this inferiority / superiority thing will go away.

1. Elite units in terms of PA would be something which is old. An old unit in one definition is considered as old. 2ndly the best equipped unit is elite, meaning units equipped with AKs, T-80UDs are said to be elite units as they hold the best tanks in the inventory.

2. These elite armored formations would be tasked with the most difficult or made the spear of any offensive operation.

3. No, training in PA / Armored Corps is all equal for all units, its just the equipment which matters, but that also in some units, once we have more of these advanced tanks this inferiority / superiority thing will go away.

their is no concept of elite/inferior/secondary units in PA or Pak armed forces. All are equal.
All units are rotated in and out of different Corps/Div/Brigades and when they are rotated/posted out they leave their equipment behind. as the equipment does not belong to any unit/battalion but it is the property of the Corps.

so eg in armors case a unit which might be on al-Khalid on day might be on al-zarrars in 3-5 years time. all equipment is according to area of responsiblity of the corps in question.
no one and nothing is constant in Pak armed forces. this is true for all of PA. PAF and PN

Back
Top Bottom