What's new

Airshow pics - F-35, F-16, F/A-18, Blue Angels and much more.

E-2C Hawkeye and the latest navy version was very cool to see up close. @MICA

IMG_0582.JPG
IMG_0583.JPG
IMG_0585.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

This was pretty cool, an SH-60 Seahawk with an air refueling probe. I tried tugging on that thing and loosening that end cap but nothing budged!

IMG_0578.JPG

I took a closeup of the helo's MAWS which I thought was really cool. Definitely some serious technology behind those bumps. @Hamilcar @HannibalBarca @fachfouch @Mootaz-khelifi
So I asked the pilot who flies this thing about those MAWS and my question to him was how does it exactly operate, does it basically ring an alarm to you and tell you "INCOMING MISSILE...INCOMING MISSILE" and that's it? Or does it work with the flares and chaff and is automated with the release of whatever countermeasures?

His answer........"yeah, that's classified, sorry." lol
My buddy Steve says "yeah, in other words you don't know!" because the guy was really young and he thought he might still be learning but I think he was right. It was probably OPSEC to divulge that kind of info. These guys (including many of the fighter pilots that I talk to all the time at the shows) are VERY disciplined, whether they're Navy, Airforce or Army. @gambit @jhungary

IMG_0579.JPG

More from the heritage flight, 3 generations of excellence in aviation, although one of those still needs to prove it's mettle. You can really see how bulky that F-35 is compared to the sleek F-16. @DavidSling @500 @Windjammer @The Accountant

IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_0727.JPG

US Naval Academy jump team did some pretty cool parachuting jumps out of a C-130.

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553 (2).JPG
IMG_0556.JPG
IMG_0554 (2).JPG

Last edited:
E-2C Hawkeye and the latest navy version was very cool to see up close. @MICA

View attachment 483263 View attachment 483264 View attachment 483265 View attachment 483266

View attachment 483267

This was pretty cool, an SH-60 Seahawk with an air refueling probe. I tried tugging on that thing and loosening that end cap but nothing budged!

View attachment 483268

I took a closeup of the helo's MAWS which I thought was really cool. Definitely some serious technology behind those bumps. @Hamilcar @HannibalBarca @fachfouch @Mootaz-khelifi
So I asked the pilot who flied this thing about those MAWS and my question to him was how does it exactly operate, does it basically ring an alarm to you and tell you "INCOMING MISSILE...INCOMING MISSILE" and that's it? Or does it work with the flares and chaff and is automated with the release of whatever countermeasures?

His answer........"yeah, that's classified, sorry." lol
My buddy Steve says "yeah, in other words you don't know!" because the guy was really young and he thought he might be still learning but I think he was right. It was probably OPSEC to divulge that kind of info. These guys (including many of the fighter pilots that I talk to all the time at the shows are VERY disciplined, whether they're Navy, Airforce or Army.

View attachment 483270

More from the heritage flight, 3 generations of excellence in aviation, although one of those still needs to prove it's mettle. You can really see how bulky that F-35 is compared to the sleek F-16. @DavidSling @500 @Windjammer @The Accountant

View attachment 483271 View attachment 483272

View attachment 483273
View attachment 483274

Definitely a very recognizable silhouette.

View attachment 483275
View attachment 483277

US Naval Academy jump team did some pretty cool parachuting jumps out of a C-130.

View attachment 483279

View attachment 483280 View attachment 483281 View attachment 483282

You should have taken home some relics... like that wiper Blade... or at least a screw ;)

You should have taken home some relics... like that wiper Blade... or at least a screw ;)

lol. As free as they let us get up close and even move the flaps or the H-Stabs on some of the fighters, there's ALWAYS someone on the lookout, besides the MPs. They let you do whatever you want, for the most part but I'm sure there's a limit lol. Once I start breaking out cordless drills and screwdrivers etc, I'm sure I'll be jumped on in 3 seconds. :D

We used to be able to get into this Grimreaper F-14 Tomcat, one of the very few left in the country that is actually on display, but they closed the canopy a few years ago since everyone was abusing the stick, the throttle, switches, rudder pedals lol. The cockpit is probably vandalized by now. But what a beast this thing is. @AmirPatriot

IMG_0589.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG
IMG_0581.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0580.JPG
    IMG_0580.JPG
    308.5 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
* When clean.

Cz0A3lgWQAAImx8.jpg

I have seen that comparison pic. But it can't carry those GBU-12s internally, though. That's one of the munitions that it'll have to mount externally and then lose its low-observability a bit.

The one thing that my friend Steve pointed out and I hadn't realize until he did, was the size of the F-35's nozzle. Being that it's powered by the F135 beast and it needs to power a rather heavy and pudgy aircraft, the engine is GIGANTIC and the LO nozzle is HUMONGOUS!

If you ever see the Israeli F-35s, take a look at the size of that nozzle, holy cow.
Hard to tell from these pics but when you see it in person, it's easier to judge size.

SOSV-1_Pratt-Whitney.jpg

BTW, is it true that the Rafale carries more fuel than the F-35 and has greater range, even combat range? I thought I saw that on one of the "vs" videos posted on another thread and thought that was pretty interesting, if true. @randomradio

BTW, is it true that the Rafale carries more fuel than the F-35 and has greater range, even combat range?
F-35A - empty weight - 13,300 kg, internal fuel - 8,278 kg

Rafale C - empty weight - 9,860 kg, internal fuel - 4,700 kg.
External for Rafale - 4710 kg in 3 subsonic tanks or 2940 kg in 3 supersonic tanks.

F-35 range - 2200 km (internal fuel)
Rafale range - 3700 km (with 3 subsonic fuel tanks)

One of the biggest highlights of the show, the Shockwave Jet Truck. This thing is great, lol. Always brings everyone right up to the ropes to feel the heat and to get pulverized by the huge cloud of smoke it leaves behind that engulfs the entire airport looo.

It's equipped with 3 - J34-48 Pratt & Whitney jet engines that were taken out of a US Navy T2 Buckeye and braced onto this thing. It's basically powered by 3 F-16 engines to simplify things.

36,000 combined horsepower producing 21,000 lbs of thrust propelling it to 375 mph. It races planes.

IMG_0612.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0619.JPG
IMG_0623.JPG
IMG_0626.JPG
IMG_0632.JPG
IMG_0636.JPG

lol. As free as they let us get up close and even move the flaps or the H-Stabs on some of the fighters, there's ALWAYS someone on the lookout, besides the MPs. They let you do whatever you want, for the most part but I'm sure there's a limit lol. Once I start breaking out cordless drills and screwdrivers etc, I'm sure I'll be jumped on in 3 seconds. :D

We used to be able to get into this Grimreaper F-14 Tomcat, one of the very few left in the country that is actually on display, but they closed the canopy a few years ago since everyone was abusing the stick, the throttle, switches, rudder pedals lol. The cockpit is probably vandalized by now. But what a beast this thing is. @AmirPatriot

View attachment 483283

View attachment 483289 View attachment 483290 View attachment 483291

Come to Dezful sometime and look at flyable and flying ones. Though they still won't let you get inside because apparently these old cats are still a major part of our air force :D

Iran%2BAir%2BForce%2BDezful%2BAir%2BBase%2B2.jpg

Come to Dezful sometime and look at flyable and flying ones. Though they still won't let you get inside because apparently these old cats are still a major part of our air force :D

Iran%2BAir%2BForce%2BDezful%2BAir%2BBase%2B2.jpg

Even though I would love to go to Iran to see them fly (or even just to see Iran), I am old enough to have seen US Navy Tomcats flying several times. This is an amazing jet and a friend of mine was an F-14 crewman on the USS Theodore Roosevelt and he talks about it all the time and how there isn't any other fighter that comes close to it and the pilots loved it etc.

Then these guys finished off the show with their usual amazing flying performance. I'm guessing someday soon they might switch them to Super Hornets. I haven't talked to too many Blue Angles guys except some crewmen, but I have talked to several Thunderbird pilots. Those are some of the NICEST type-A personalities you'll ever meet. A couple were actually doing F-16 training missions in the ME for Egyptian & Israeli & Moroccan pilots. Talking about that stuff was out of this world for a guy like me, you can imagine.

@LeGenD I think this guy was giving me the "Hey YOU!" lol :D

IMG_0775.JPG

One of the solos and his usual low altitude take-off and sudden pitch up. You can actually see the wings flex from the extreme pressure.

IMG_0779.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG
IMG_0783.JPG
IMG_0784.JPG

Some of their incredible formation flying routines.

IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0810.JPG
IMG_0811.JPG
IMG_0812.JPG
IMG_0813.JPG
IMG_0818 (2).JPG
IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG
IMG_0833.JPG

This was a "jet-powered" biplane. Pretty cool the way it has the engine under-hung and the pilot would turn it on and you can see the sudden jolt of power it gave the aircraft.

IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG

"Fat Albert," the Blue Angels' C-130 doing some of its own stunts.

IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0390.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG

Every once in a while they display an oddity here and there. In this case, an ex-Polish MiG-17. Thought that was pretty cool.

IMG_0269.JPG

Vietnam-era Cobra.

IMG_0271.JPG

Former Marines A-4 Skyhawk.

IMG_0272.JPG

Let's bump this thread. Anyone with some interesting airshow pics (even if they're not yours) post them.
A-10 and a close-up of it's most famous possession, the gatling gun.

IMG_1663.JPG
IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1665.JPG

Osprey.

IMG_1704.JPG
IMG_1705.JPG

I have a lot more I'll post them as I run into them.

Let's bump this thread. Anyone with some interesting airshow pics (even if they're not yours) post them.
A-10 and a close-up of it's most famous possession, the gatling gun.

View attachment 637597 View attachment 637598
View attachment 637601

Osprey.

View attachment 637602 View attachment 637603

I have a lot more I'll post them as I run into them.

I was at Hanscom in the early 90's (92?) and there was this F16 pilot doing some sliding turn maneuvers right above the crowd REAL low (rather dangerous and certainly couldn't do that nowadays). Will have to search for the pics.

Last edited:
I was at Hanscom in the early 90's (92?) and there was this F16 pilot doing some sliding turn maneuvers right above the crowd REAL low (rather dangerous and certainly couldn't do that nowadays). Will have to search for the pics.

Yeah that would be awesome if you could find it and post it. This is a good escape from all the crap going on, ooof. I'm finally back to work tomorrow God willing so today I'm going to try to keep my mind off any negativity.

Reminds me of the first time the Blue Angels got to meet their Russian counterparts in the Swifts and I think it was the captain of the BA (guy who flies the #1 plane) got into the backseat of one of the Swift's MiG-29s and they went for a crazy ride and I think the Russian pilot -- from what I remember -- did an inverted flight over the runway at a super low altitude lool and after they landed, BA pilot was commenting on how great it was and later in a more private interview, he talked about that inverted flight at such a low altitude and over the runway and how they'd get thrown out of the Navy or Airforce if any of them attempted anything remotely close to that in the US lol. I think their liberties have changed a bit since then because they certainly do some cool and borderline crazy stuff now. But this was in the mid-1990s IIRC.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom