What's new

Airbus Sells 60 Aircraft to China

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Airbus Sells 60 Aircraft to China

China Aviation Supplies Holding Company (CAS) has signed a General Terms Agreement (GTA) with Airbus for the purchase of 60 Airbus aircraft, which includes 42 A320 Family aircraft and 18 A330 aircraft.

The GTA was signed today at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing by Li Hai, President and CEO of CAS and Fabrice Brégier, President and CEO of Airbus in the presence of the visiting French President François Hollande and the Chinese President Xi Jinping. It was part of a series of France-China agreements signed today.

“We are delighted to receive a new order from our long-standing customer CAS for both the Airbus best-selling single aisle A320 Family and wide-body A330 Family,” said Fabrice Brégier, President and CEO of Airbus.

“The A320’s high reliability and low operational cost has made it very popular with Chinese airlines. As congestion puts pressure on airports in large cities in China, the A330 is an excellent solution as larger aircraft can transport more passengers with less flights. The comfort of the A330’s spacious cabin is also appealing to passengers.

These eco-efficient Airbus aircraft will contribute to the growth and success of China’s aviation sector,” said Fabrice Brégier.

By the end of March 2013, there were some 750 A320 Family aircraft in operation with 14 Chinese airlines and more than 110 A330s in operation with six operators.

China

I hope there are opt-out clauses in the final agreement

Why? After obtaining the knowhow, use it for cloning? I am just curious.

The Chinese C919 is currently undergoing licensing process for Europe and North America market. Purchasing air bus will give Europeans the incentive to accept Chinese' role in international aviation market. Basically it is a I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine type of deal.
Of course, the air bus deal is only a small part of the very large French visit. There are other big deals coming from this visit. The first one being Chinese pledge to help the Euro and the second being European pledge to official recognize Chinese market. The former is easy to understand, but the later bears a bit more explanation. Official recognition means that Europeans acknowledge that the Chinese product pricing is legitimate and as a result, many tariff and trade barrier against Chinese products will lose legal ground and evaporate. This will drastically increase China's assess to European market.

Traditionally, France has the best relationship with China out of all European nations. There were many high level co-operations. For example, China provided France with miniaturization technology for fission weapons, which enabled French development of thermonuclear weapons as well as missile delivered nuclear weapons. The French, in return, provided China with technology such as SA 321 Super Frelon and AS-365N2 helicopters, as well as the Crotale missiles for navy. There are also some trade on submarine batteries, but those turned out to be unnecessary as the native Chinese submarine batteries at the time is already better than the French ones. In domestic industry, French will provide quite a bit technology to China in the 80s.
However, despite these co-operations in the past, many recent French leaders adopted a notably anti-China policy. Essentially, after the collapse of USSR, Europe no longer needed China as an ally against the Soviet threat. Instead, the rise of China left the Europeans feeling threatened. This is why many of them jumped in bed with Americans.
Of course, the Europeans changed their mind in a hurry after 2009 when American started its relentless on-slaughter against Euro. Hey, the Chinese may be "threatening", but the Americans are already poised to deliver the killing blow. It really isn't hard to understand why Europeans are eager to get Chinese help.

The Chinese C919 is currently undergoing licensing process for Europe and North America market. Purchasing air bus will give Europeans the incentive to accept Chinese' role in international aviation market. Basically it is a I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine type of deal.
Of course, the air bus deal is only a small part of the very large French visit. There are other big deals coming from this visit. The first one being Chinese pledge to help the Euro and the second being European pledge to official recognize Chinese market. The former is easy to understand, but the later bears a bit more explanation. Official recognition means that Europeans acknowledge that the Chinese product pricing is legitimate and as a result, many tariff and trade barrier against Chinese products will lose legal ground and evaporate. This will drastically increase China's assess to European market.

Traditionally, France has the best relationship with China out of all European nations. There were many high level co-operations. For example, China provided France with miniaturization technology for fission weapons, which enabled French development of thermonuclear weapons as well as missile delivered nuclear weapons. The French, in return, provided China with technology such as SA 321 Super Frelon and AS-365N2 helicopters, as well as the Crotale missiles for navy. There are also some trade on submarine batteries, but those turned out to be unnecessary as the native Chinese submarine batteries at the time is already better than the French ones. In domestic industry, French will provide quite a bit technology to China in the 80s.
However, despite these co-operations in the past, many recent French leaders adopted a notably anti-China policy. Essentially, after the collapse of USSR, Europe no longer needed China as an ally against the Soviet threat. Instead, the rise of China left the Europeans feeling threatened. This is why many of them jumped in bed with Americans.
Of course, the Europeans changed their mind in a hurry after 2009 when American started its relentless on-slaughter against Euro. Hey, the Chinese may be "threatening", but the Americans are already poised to deliver the killing blow. It really isn't hard to understand why Europeans are eager to get Chinese help.

For the same reason we will also use the western jet engine for our C919 in the western market.

Otherwise they will also bring the protectionism policy to protect their domestic aerospace industry.

For the same reason we will also use the western jet engine for our C919 in the western market.
Otherwise they will also bring the protectionism policy to protect their domestic aerospace industry.

To be fair, I think it also has to do that Chinese domestic large aircraft engine still have some way to go before it can fully compete with the European and American ones. Though I have faith that in a few decades that we will definitely catch up.

You are also right. Aircraft industry is one of the few industries left for Europeans that haven't lost huge amount of market to China. Of course they would do anything to protect it. I am not so sure about the space part though. European's space program quite lackluster comparing to their aircraft industry or the space programs of the big three.

To be fair, I think it also has to do that Chinese domestic large aircraft engine still have some way to go before it can fully compete with the European and American ones. Though I have faith that in a few decades that we will definitely catch up.

You are also right. Aircraft industry is one of the few industries left for Europeans that haven't lost huge amount of market to China. Of course they would do anything to protect it. I am not so sure about the space part though. European's space program quite lackluster comparing to their aircraft industry or the space programs of the big three.

I think after 2030 we will start to see our civilian jetliner gaining a significant market in the world.

I have the faith in our aerospace industry because it is firmly supported by our government, unlike the private Chinese carmakers who are just a bunch of crooks.

I think the main reason for the lackluster of the European Aerospace is because of UK, since they control the jet engine technology of the European aerospace industry, i believe they are willing to help their American cousins to kill off the competition from Europe.

BTW, i think our jet engine technology will significantly close the gap with US by 2020, otherwise many officials will get jailed.

I think after 2030 we will start to see our civilian jetliner gaining a significant market in the world.

I have the faith in our aerospace industry because it is firmly supported by our government, unlike the private Chinese carmakers who are just a bunch of crooks.

I think the main reason for the lackluster of the European Aerospace is because of UK, since they control the jet engine technology of the European aerospace industry, i believe they are willing to help their American cousins to kill off the competition from Europe.

BTW, i think our jet engine technology will significantly close the gap with US by 2020, otherwise many officials will get jailed.

Sometimes I think UK's whole purpose of existence is to make France's life difficult.:azn:
It also has to do with raw resources. The European nations are able to achieve dominance from 17th to 19th century mainly because they have huge amount of colonies, thus a huge pool of resources. While the European economy today is nothing to sneeze at, it does not change that fact that the European nations have essentially regressed to their medieval borders. (or something close to that) This means the European decline in the world scene is pretty much an inevitability and very high investment sectors such as space tech are just the first places to show it. The current and perhaps the only chance for Europe to maintain their influence would be forming a unified entity, thus giving them enough population and resource to compete with the likes of US and China. Unfortunately, EU doesn't look to be up to the task.

Yup yup, one of the most reliable rockets in the industry, dropping a lander on Titan (yes, Saturn's moon) testing of reusable craft this year (mini X-37), lander to Mars in 2016 (demo of lander for rover), rover to Mars in 2018 (autonomous to a degree-not guided from Earth) and joint Moon mission with NASA in this decade or early in the next (Orion programme).
Plus a myriad of other near Earth satellites that you two never heard about that do stuff you equally never heard of.

The meaning for the above in Chinese-American dictionary is "lackluster". :omghaha:
What never ceases to amaze me how uninformed these people are, yet still they talk like they have wisdom to sell in metric tons. And how easily they slip non-truths, fallacies, underestimations or exaggerations (depending about whom they talk about) in.
Before you know it, Europe is declining due to medieval borders while China is inside those same medieval borders and somehow all is peachy. Go figure....
Or China helped minituarize French nukes is another gem that made me chuckle. I wish they would let us know why China didn't have the ASMP nuclear weapon equivalent then, like France had back in the mid 80's.

Oh and boys, that engine tech you talk about. There's new stuff coming in, new materials, new manufacture processes, but let's not bother you with this now...

France should really thank China for handicapping its HSR construction.

What is an opt out clause?

in legal parlance, its meaning can be found here:

Opt-Out Clause Law & Legal Definition

In reality the negotiation and consideration are of course a lot more complicated

Is China doing its own large passenger planes?

yes we are, C-919

11140586_486373.jpg

and a smaller ARJ-21.

290px-China_ARJ-21.jpg

Both are aiming for regional flights

Back
Top Bottom