What's new

Airbus Group Bets Big on LCA

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India

The Airbus Group which is a design consultant to India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)Project, is betting big on supplying critical parts and systems to the LCA.

The LCA which completed its Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) late last year, is on way to its Final Operational Clearance (FOC) within the next two years after which it will be cleared for full-scale production.

Airbus sources said some of the equipment and components which the group could supply for the LCA include missile warning system, the AESA radar and the engines.

"Airbus has worked closely with the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)as a design consultant and brings its experience with the Eurofighter project in helping the LCA achieve its design objectives", an Airbus source said at the DEFEXPO 2014 exhibition.

The Airbus Group which is a design consultant to India's Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)Project, is betting big on supplying critical parts and systems to the LCA.

The LCA which completed its Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) late last year, is on way to its Final Operational Clearance (FOC) within the next two years after which it will be cleared for full-scale production.

Airbus sources said some of the equipment and components which the group could supply for the LCA include missile warning system, the AESA radar and the engines.

"Airbus has worked closely with the Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO)as a design consultant and brings its experience with the Eurofighter project in helping the LCA achieve its design objectives", an Airbus source said at the DEFEXPO 2014 exhibition.

What?!??!

The engine and early warning system is set in place.

This is great news if true....

How they are gonna help us with AESA radars? And Engine and Missiles warning systems are already confirmed.

So is LCA an Indian product?

I guess it busts the myths of all Indian members here.

Yes, it's an Indian product. This article doesn't make sense.

Airbus wasnt a consultant, Dassault was very early on.

And anyone who is even a little bit following LCA knows it's getting GE engines. I don't think airbus can do anything about that.

DARE-designed+&+BEL-built+internal+EW+suite+for+Tejas+Mk1+MRCA.jpg

Internal%2BEW%2Bsuite%2Bfor%2BTejas%2BMk1%2BLCA%2B.jpg

Defence suite most likely will be DARE, BEL defence suite.

:crazy:

Yes, it's an Indian product. This article doesn't make sense.

Airbus wasnt a consultant, Dassault was very early on.

And anyone who is even a little bit following LCA knows it's getting GE engines. I don't airbus can do anything about that.

I think EADS also provided consultancy to reduce testing time. This story is bullst.

I believe help on AESA radar means , they will help us to produce AESA radars endogenously....Same goes with Engine( Here it is Kaveri engine ) ...
misa thinks de same :yes4: kaveri and AESA radar/ AESA based MAWS (may be):nana:

:argh::argh::argh:

Last edited:
Does airbus make AESA radars, MEWS etc?

Just BS article to me

Does airbus make AESA radars, MEWS etc?

Just BS article to me

Airbus is EADS.

An old news.

domain-b.com : EADS offers to co-develop AESA radars with DRDO

EADS offers to co-develop AESA radars with DRDO news
10x10spacer.gif

26 February 2008

dots_at_narrow.gif

domain-b_eads10.jpg
New Delhi: European aerospace and defence major, EADS, has offered to co-develop with India the technology for active electronically scanned array (AESA) radar for installation on board the indigenously developed, light combat aircraft Tejas. The offer has been made even as US aerospace giants, Boeing and Lockheed Martin, are awaiting clearance from the US Congress to offer a transfer of technology (ToT) agreement to India for the same technology.

Talking to the media persons, EADS CEO, Stefan Zoller said, ''We have offered to co-develop the AESA e-copter radars with DRDO-LRDE.''

AESA radars, which are sported by some US frontline fighters like the F-22, help pilots track threats such as cruise missiles. AESA radars can track targets simultaneously in the air and on the ground.

Under India's Defence Procurement Policy (DPP) 2006, ToT agreements for AESA radars is one of the key elements of the request for proposals sent out to six major aerospace and defence companies who are bidding for the $10-billion deal for 126 medium range multi-role combat aircraft (MMRCA) for the Indian Air Force.

Meanwhile, EADS has said that it has so far ensured coherent delivery of end-to-end services for its military and security customers and is fully engaged in future tactical and infrastructure network projects for the Indian Army.

According to Zoller, ''As an example of its commitment to India, we have delivered to the Indian Army a complete test bed (Parikshak) in order to help it understand the need for the tactical communications system (TCS) project,'' Zoller added.

As the bid opening time for the MMRCA project nears, Eurofighter, one of the contenders for the project, has said that it intends to open an office in New Delhi shortly in order to have local representation during the competition.

EADS Concludes AESA Radar Research Program for Typhoon

When J10, J11 and JF 17 with Russian engines, or Gripen with a hell lot more of foreign parts are indigenous fighters, LCA will be surely too. So lets us spare such nonsense debates please!

On topic, that's an offer to sell subsystems and that will come from different countries. EADS/Airbus is developing AESA moduls jointly with Thales, which means they can offer us them for the indigenous AESA radar DRDO develops. Just like they can offer engine subsystems via MTU or other parts of the Eurojet consortium. They offered us to jointly develop 3D TVC before, if we take the EJ200 engine for LCA MK2. Sadly we didn't (most likely because of N-LCAs requirements) and missed out a huge chance for techs and to improve the fighter.
However, it all depends on how far we are with our own developments, to see what advantages these foreign systems might get. The MAWS definitely will come from DARE/BEL, DRDO is desperate to prove itself as a radar manufacturer (although that might cause more delays), which basically leaves the engine field where they could offer useful assistance and than more aimed on AMCA, then on LCA.

Last edited:

Show me any product of such complexity produced to day that doesn't feature foreign content. What would you call the Gripen with an American engine and Israeli sensors?
Trolling from a "think tank".....

Back
Top Bottom