What's new

AH-1Z impacted by frosty US-Pak relations

Falcon26

Reaction score
Country
United States
Top US general departs for Pakistan, India to bolster Afghanistan strategy

ATHENS, Greece — Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford departed the U.S. on Sunday for a week-long trip focused on shoring up Afghanistan’s new strategy by pressing key neighbors Pakistan and India to do more to help stabilize the country.

Dunford will first visit Pakistan, alongside Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, to meet with Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi. U.S. and Pakistani tensions have escalated over the last year as the Trump administration withheld millions of dollars in military aid over long-standing frustration with Pakistan that it has not taken a more aggressive stand against Taliban and Haqqani network militants who coordinate attacks on Afghanistan from within Pakistan.

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it would hold up an additional $300 million in aid to Pakistan, which Qureshi told Reuters on Sunday would be brought up at the meeting.

Previous rounds of withheld funds have impacted U.S. foreign military sales to Pakistan, including the transfer of up to 16 AH-1Z Viper attack helicopters from Amarillo, Texas-based Bell.

In August 2017, Bell had just transferred the first two Vipers to the U.S. government for transfer to Pakistan via the FMS program when the U.S. announced the first freeze of military aid. Four more helicopters were on the production line.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...kistan-india-to-bolster-afghanistan-strategy/

this is from 2 days ago. let's wait for the new ones and catch the drift....

Aur loo US weapons .I fear ATAK will also be effected

Aur loo US weapons .I fear ATAK will also be effected
Yes, indeed. I read somewhere that many parts of ATAK are procured from US. So, due to ongoing tensions between Turkey and US, ATAK order might also get affected.

They blocked the french from selling missiles to Egypt so france has ensured no furure american parts will be used. Turkey and Pakistan will do the same. Aside from the arabs everyone else will be very sceptical of american hardware

I find it very strange that the spat between Turkey and USA also started only a few weeks after Pakistan ordered T-129 from Turkey.
Turkey is not submitting to US demands since some time. Probably after the failed coup.
Pakistan has not been submitting to US demands also.

Pakistan Army must really be kicking a$$es of American proxies in the Af-Pak border region.
I think its more of the difference in opinion on geographical matters like Afghanistan, rather than PA going against USA proxies.

Top US general departs for Pakistan, India to bolster Afghanistan strategy

ATHENS, Greece — Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Marine Corps Gen. Joseph Dunford departed the U.S. on Sunday for a week-long trip focused on shoring up Afghanistan’s new strategy by pressing key neighbors Pakistan and India to do more to help stabilize the country.

Dunford will first visit Pakistan, alongside Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, to meet with Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi. U.S. and Pakistani tensions have escalated over the last year as the Trump administration withheld millions of dollars in military aid over long-standing frustration with Pakistan that it has not taken a more aggressive stand against Taliban and Haqqani network militants who coordinate attacks on Afghanistan from within Pakistan.

Last week, the U.S. confirmed it would hold up an additional $300 million in aid to Pakistan, which Qureshi told Reuters on Sunday would be brought up at the meeting.

Previous rounds of withheld funds have impacted U.S. foreign military sales to Pakistan, including the transfer of up to 16 AH-1Z Viper attack helicopters from Amarillo, Texas-based Bell.

In August 2017, Bell had just transferred the first two Vipers to the U.S. government for transfer to Pakistan via the FMS program when the U.S. announced the first freeze of military aid. Four more helicopters were on the production line.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...kistan-india-to-bolster-afghanistan-strategy/
so according to this report, no AH-1Z has arrived Pakistan neither inducted by PAA. The 2 x AH-1Z which have been completed are sitting in USA.

Yes, indeed. I read somewhere that many parts of ATAK are procured from US. So, due to ongoing tensions between Turkey and US, ATAK order might also get affected.
If Turkey takes a stand, which i think Erdogan will, the T-129 deal will not get affected.

Latest posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom