What's new

Agni-II Prime test fired successfully off Orissa coast.

I don't think the distance from Orissa coast to the Bay of Bengal is 3000 km. It's more like 1000 km. But the apogee is abnormally high 900 km! 3 times the normal height. So this launch was done mostly to test accuracy.

The missile itself is obviously much more advanced than the original Agni-2. I doubt the original Agni-2 was ever even reliable, but the Agni-4 at least is designed to be reliable. I think DRDO figured out that Agni-2 and Agni-3 had fatal design flaws, so they redesigned it incorporating carbon fiberglass casing technology -- Agni-4 and Agni-5 is the result.

India is roughly where China was 1970 to 1985. 1970 was the first successful test of the DF-3. 1985 was the first successful test of the DF-3A.

Boy!Agni 3 is in a different league altogether.There is no designe flaw in it.

Wow.. Great.. Congrats DRDO... Well, the best thing is it weighs 17 tons whereas Agni 3 weighs something around 48 tons i guess...

ff718b2909581877a56886464c1918e7o.jpg

JEO OR JENAIY DO :)

India has become missile R&D power house of Asia after this test. The Incorporated system like MINGS has literally made this missile system error proof, as far as navigation and hitting with precision is concerned.

The most notable thing is no fins thus easily canister missile, with high use of glass composite including its motors. Indigenous gyro-ring scope, and flexible nose configuration (to evade anti BM systems) are other good achievements we can boast about.

This test has given moral boost to the team that instead of Feb 2012 they are planing to test Agni 5 with 5k range this year in December (most likely).

Wow.. Great.. Congrats DRDO... Well, the best thing is it weighs 17 tons whereas Agni 3 weighs something around 48 tons i guess...

that's 1/3rd there in one shot !! :)

India has become missile R&D power house of Asia after this test. The Incorporated system like MINGS has literally made this missile system error proof, as far as navigation and hitting with precision is concerned.

The most notable thing is no fins thus easily canister missile, with high use of glass composite including its motors. Indigenous gyro-ring scope, and flexible nose configuration (to evade anti BM systems) are other good achievements we can boast about.

This test has given moral boost to the team that instead of Feb 2012 they are planing to test Agni 5 with 5k range this year in December (most likely).

Thanks for pointing those points out...
Agni-iV although much similar to Agni III in stats, is a missile with a generation leap in terms of guidance, accuracy, use of composite motors, fin-less/canister based etc. IMO with this DRDO has reached a critical juncture where we can have multiple spin-offs like Longer Range ( ICBMs) missiles without compromising on the accuracy, ASAT ( 900 km altitude is hell of a height ), RV tech with potential use in MIRVing future weapons.
I won't be surprised if the next SLBM have MIRV tech if not with Agni V.

Kuchh to Daal main Kaala hai.

The launch trajectory is more than 45......................the missile reached a height of 900 km.........and hit a target at 3000 km.......the Parabolic Path travelled by this missile is quite high. I think they have not tested this missile at its maximum distance...............

Not necessarily

In a typical BM trajectory high altitude means more distance traveled away, not less. Since the BM is in the orbit it can travel more distance without additional velocity requirement. Either you have better technology to go into higher altitude or add another stage. There are many factors like earth fall away from rocket, atmospheric drag, structural fraction and 100s more to discuss BM trajectory but what i am trying to say is that travelling to high altitude (in a vertical trajectory) doesn't mean less range.

Maximum altitude of 900 km-this Agni IV can be easily configured as an ASAT weapon with minimum modifications.

Bro, I do not think we need something huge like Agni-4 for ASAT. Agni-4 can carry 800 kg payload with the RV to 900 km. A KKV would hardly weigh maximum 200 kg. What do you think?

Raytheon developed 64 kg kill vehicle
400px-GMD_kill_vehicle_ift101.jpg

That MINGS is a revolution for navigation and guidance system by DRDO. MINGS is MEMS-based miniaturised INS + GPS + GLONASS + Magnetometer System. It is a highly redundant, fault tolerant and accurate system. India already developed micro FINGS as well which means fibre-optic gyro-based INS+GPS (FINGS) system.

Again Kudos to the scientists.

Finally a success after 4 continues failures of Agni-II and Agni-IIP.

item-5097_1_large.jpg

I mean success after 4 continues failed attempts. :agree:

Agni II And Prime are Completely different Missiles....Prime was Tested Once Before today and failed...while Agni II now Successfully Inducted In Army

Bro, I do not think we need something huge like Agni-4 for ASAT. Agni-4 can carry 800 kg payload with the RV to 900 km. A KKV would hardly weigh maximum 200 kg. What do you think?

Raytheon developed 64 kg kill vehicle
400px-GMD_kill_vehicle_ift101.jpg

It was just a thought buddy.I know very well that a modified ABM can very well shot down a sattelite in LEO.I was talking about sattelites with higher altitude.

Back
Top Bottom