What's new

Afridi slams Miandad, Waqar and Imran, casts doubt on age record

Proudpakistaniguy

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

KARACHI: When Pakistan's Shahid Afridi smashed a 37-ball century against Sri Lanka in 1996, he not only registered the fastest-ever one-day ton, he also became the youngest player to score 100 runs in an international.

Or did he?

In a new autobiography, the fiery all-rounder says he was aged 19 when he blasted onto the world stage with his record-breaking innings, and not 16 as history suggests.

"For the record, I was just nineteen, and not sixteen like they claim," he writes in "Game Changer", which went on sale this week.

"I was born in 1975. So, yes, the authorities stated my age incorrectly."

Confusingly, if he was born in 1975, it would mean he was either 20 or 21 at the time.

Wisden, the sport's recognised almanac, still lists Afridi as the youngest player to score a one-day ton – aged 16 years and 217 days – but his fastest-century record lasted until 2014 when it was eclipsed by New Zealander Corey Anderson, and by South African AB de Villiers a year later.

Cricket experts and fans have long questioned the purported ages of various Asian players – particularly in junior competitions – and Afridi's revelation will only fuel the controversy.

In the weeks leading up to his record-breaking Pakistan debut, Afridi had been playing in an international under-19 tournament in the West Indies.

Pakistan cricket authorities claimed Hasan Raza was 14 years old when he made his Test debut against Zimbabwe in 1996, but Wisden doesn't recognise that claim.

236246_2179385_updates.jpg

Afridi has called Javed Miandad, Pakistan's most successful Test batsman, "a small man", accusing him of not giving him batting practice before the Chennai Test in which he scored a century to help Pakistan to a 12-run victory.—AFP/File photo

The age controversy is just one of many in Afridi's book, in which he lays into former team mates with no holds barred – calling Javed Miandad, Pakistan's most successful Test batsman, "a small man".

"He hated the way I batted," writes Afridi of the 1999 India tour, accusing Miandad of not giving him batting practice before the Chennai Test in which he scored a century to help Pakistan to a 12-run victory.

"Javed's attitude towards me touched a new low. Before the post-match ceremony, he pulled me aside and said 'Listen, buddy, you'd better make sure you thank me in the presentation'. I couldn't believe it.

"That day I lost all my respect for Javed Miandad, supposedly one of the greats of the game but in reality, a small man."

Afridi described another teammate, Waqar Younis, as a mediocre captain and terrible coach.

He said Imran Khan, a former captain and now prime minister of Pakistan, had an "abrasive style leadership".

"By the way, they say that Khan... runs his cabinet the same way," he added.

236246_4813618_updates.jpg

Afridi heaped praise on the late Bob Woolmer, however, the Englishman who coached Pakistan during his best years.

"I can safely say that the only coach who gave me that kind of support was Woolmer. My batting stats were better under him," he writes.

He described former Indian opener Gautam Gambhir, with whom he clashed on field in 2007, as "a burn out who had attitude problems".

"I remember that run-in with him in 2007 tour when he completed a single while running straight into me. The umpires had to finish it off or I would have," he said.

"Clearly we had a frank bilateral discussion about each other's female relatives."

Afridi have got piles in his mouth and A brain of a watermelon size, that summarises his personality.

KARACHI: When Pakistan's Shahid Afridi smashed a 37-ball century against Sri Lanka in 1996, he not only registered the fastest-ever one-day ton, he also became the youngest player to score 100 runs in an international.

Or did he?

In a new autobiography, the fiery all-rounder says he was aged 19 when he blasted onto the world stage with his record-breaking innings, and not 16 as history suggests.

"For the record, I was just nineteen, and not sixteen like they claim," he writes in "Game Changer", which went on sale this week.

Confusingly, if he was born in 1975, it would mean he was either 20 or 21 at the time.

Wisden, the sport's recognised almanac, still lists Afridi as the youngest player to score a one-day ton – aged 16 years and 217 days – but his fastest-century record lasted until 2014 when it was eclipsed by New Zealander Corey Anderson, and by South African AB de Villiers a year later.

Cricket experts and fans have long questioned the purported ages of various Asian players – particularly in junior competitions – and Afridi's revelation will only fuel the controversy.

In the weeks leading up to his record-breaking Pakistan debut, Afridi had been playing in an international under-19 tournament in the West Indies.

Pakistan cricket authorities claimed Hasan Raza was 14 years old when he made his Test debut against Zimbabwe in 1996, but Wisden doesn't recognise that claim.

Afridi has called Javed Miandad, Pakistan's most successful Test batsman, "a small man", accusing him of not giving him batting practice before the Chennai Test in which he scored a century to help Pakistan to a 12-run victory.—AFP/File photo

The age controversy is just one of many in Afridi's book, in which he lays into former team mates with no holds barred – calling Javed Miandad, Pakistan's most successful Test batsman, "a small man".

"He hated the way I batted," writes Afridi of the 1999 India tour, accusing Miandad of not giving him batting practice before the Chennai Test in which he scored a century to help Pakistan to a 12-run victory.

"Javed's attitude towards me touched a new low. Before the post-match ceremony, he pulled me aside and said 'Listen, buddy, you'd better make sure you thank me in the presentation'. I couldn't believe it.

"That day I lost all my respect for Javed Miandad, supposedly one of the greats of the game but in reality, a small man."

Afridi described another teammate, Waqar Younis, as a mediocre captain and terrible coach.

He said Imran Khan, a former captain and now prime minister of Pakistan, had an "abrasive style leadership".

Afridi heaped praise on the late Bob Woolmer, however, the Englishman who coached Pakistan during his best years.

"I can safely say that the only coach who gave me that kind of support was Woolmer. My batting stats were better under him," he writes.

He described former Indian opener Gautam Gambhir, with whom he clashed on field in 2007, as "a burn out who had attitude problems".

"I remember that run-in with him in 2007 tour when he completed a single while running straight into me. The umpires had to finish it off or I would have," he said.

"Clearly we had a frank bilateral discussion about each other's female relatives."

he,s old n forgotten news----------

he just likes to stay in news.---------------

another white skin kisser n lover---------

Or did he?

I like this guy, he is a genuine pakistani, the genuine pakistanis always have blunt personalities like Shahid Afridi.

How i wished for Afridi to bat higher than number 7/8 during the latter stages of his international career, what we have these days are factory bots schemed to perform in a certain way. Consistent, yes, but sans the edge of the seat thrill. Those days of Gilchrist, Afridi, Sehwag and Sanath may never return. Remember him make a comment in the mid 2000s that had he been playing for India he would be as successful as Sehwag in Tests. Legend, and a nightmare for us Indians!

I like this guy, he is a genuine pakistani, the genuine pakistanis always have blunt personalities like Shahid Afridi.
Genuine cricketer should not make fun of legend of his own country to sell his book. Its good to be bold in few situation but its more preferable to be wise in certain situation. Why he did not spoke truth about his age when people were calling him under 18 and he was feeling proud to be young teen and destructive and he has been sleeping all this time and suddenly creating controversies about his age and others Pakistani cricketers to make people read book

Genuine cricketer should not make fun of legend of his own country to sell his book. Its good to be bold in few situation but its more preferable to be wise in certain situation. Why he did not spoke truth about his age when people were calling him under 18 and he was feeling proud to be young teen and destructive and he has been sleeping all this time and suddenly creating controversies about his age and others Pakistani cricketers to make people read book

Everyone knew that he was no less than 20 years old when he scored his fastest century in 1996, I used to be in college in those days and read this news in Jang urdu newspaper in the library because the match was not telecast on PTV. His age was mentioned as 16 years old and we were laughing at this number after having seen his photo that was also published in the newspaper, I remember I told my class fellow that this guy is no less than 20 years old, it is just fake birth certificate which was a common thing until 80s in Pakistan. Even I would have the opportunity to get myself 2 years younger in my metric certificate (which acted as birthday certificate in those days) if I wanted, my school teacher even recommended me to do so as in case of government employment I would be retired two years late than my actual age. I can guarantee you that official ages of Waqar Yunis, Abdul Razzaq, Aqib Javed who belong to humble rural backgrounds were all fake and they also showed themselves younger than their actual age. There is no way that Waqar younis birth years is 1971, I am sure he is also 2 or 3 years older than his recorded age. We didn't use to have any kind of strict birth certificate documentations in rural or semi-urban areas until 80s.

Everyone knew that he was no less than 20 years old when he scored his fastest century in 1996, I used to be in college in those days and read this news in Jang urdu newspaper in the library because the match was not telecast on PTV. His age was mentioned as 16 years old and we were laughing at this number after having seen his photo that was also published in the newspaper, I remember I told my class fellow that this guy is no less than 20 years old, it is just fake birth certificate which was a common thing until 80s in Pakistan. Even I would have the opportunity to get myself 2 years younger in my metric certificate (which acted as birthday certificate in those days) if I wanted, my school teacher even recommended me to do so as in case of government employment I would be retired two years late than my actual age. I can guarantee you that official ages of Waqar Yunis, Abdul Razzaq, Aqib Javed who belong to humble rural backgrounds were all fake and they also showed themselves younger than their actual age. There is no way that Waqar younis birth years is 1971, I am sure he is also 2 or 3 years older than his recorded age. We didn't use to have any kind of strict birth certificate documentations in rural or semi-urban areas until 80s.
I agree but my point was about timing of creating such controversies now just to sell books..it gives wrong impression that you can degrade your own senior for money..many things happen between cricketers privately but they dont tarnish the image of each others in public because its give bad name to Pakistan and our cricket that we are cheater

I agree but my point was about timing of creating such controversies now just to sell books..it gives wrong impression that you can degrade your own senior for money..many things happen between cricketers privately but they dont tarnish the image of each others in public because its give bad name to Pakistan and our cricket that we are cheater

We were in the past as far as birth dates and certificates were concerned. But since late 80s onwards there is a strict system for birth day certification implemented throughout the country particularly after the establishment of NADRA, now it would be extremely difficult to get fake birth certificates with desired birth dates.

Afridi was a show boater who only played for himself. He wasn't a great captain like IK, who can lead and inspire, but was a show off always looking nervous and sturggling to speak before big games. Technically he was shit, just a slogger who got lucky.

Soooo he says he was born in 1975 and not 1980, but that he was 19 when he hit that fastest century and not 16? :undecided::wacko::cuckoo:

Back
Top Bottom