What's new

Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft [AMCA] Development | Updates & Discussions.

AMCA undergoes wind tunnel test in USA - s jha

RFP for 110kn engine to be issued next year

Most likely winner is GE 414 épé or ede

Since there is no RFI only RFP for those engine which are the uprated version of engines that IAF already evaluated.

=>

USN study revives GE's hopes for major F414 upgrade

...The F414 EDE is billed as an upgrade – not a new centreline engine – but it promises significant performance improvement. The configuration changes are exclusively hardware, but how the performance improvement is realised depends entirely on the software.

The navy can programme the full authority digital engine control system to upgrade the power output of the F414 EDE engine to around 26,400lb-thrust. The same changes can dramatically improve the engine’s durability if thrust output is maintained at the 22,000lb-thrust baseline.

The latter option also offers a 3% improvement in fuel efficiency, and up to $5 billion cost savings over an engine’s lifecycle – including reduced fuel and maintenance costs, GE’s Caplan says.

The trade-off with upgrading the engine to produce 26,400lb-thrust is a considerable hike in maintenance costs. Running the F414 EDE at the higher thrust setting reduces turbine life to 2,000h, Caplan says. This is just one-third of the current 6,000h interval...

USN study revives GE's hopes for major F414 upgrade - 4/28/2014 - Flight Global

Would be interesting on what he bases this, when the official IAF statements show something else.

It took 25 years for the LCA from the project definition phase to IOC 2

With all the building blocks in place, I hope AMCA gets done really faster

And it's looks like AMCA is taking a safer approach.

^^^ Wonder how true are those tweets....

It took 25 years for the LCA from the project definition phase to IOC 2

With all the building blocks in place, I hope AMCA gets done really faster

And it's looks like AMCA is taking a safer approach.

Well that depends, at least they seems to choose a foreign engine to start with, but lets see if they are smart enough to combine it with the development of an own engine, or if they try to develop an own engine alone again. But they are again far too overoptimistic about their capabilities and make the same mistake for the naval version again, although they admitted that it is easier to develop the naval design first.

^^^ Wonder how true are those tweets....

Yes, that's what I thought too.

When there is no sign of any prototype for atleast 7-8 years, why would they issue RFP next year..? Something is not right.

Well Remeber GTRE cancelled Kaveri and is working on a 110 KN Jet Engine. A 2015 RFP would be bagged by them and would undergo Research and Validation for another 6-8 years until the prototype for AMCA gets ready.

Well Remeber GTRE cancelled Kaveri and is working on a 110 KN Jet Engine. A 2015 RFP would be bagged by them and would undergo Research and Validation for another 6-8 years until the prototype for AMCA gets ready.

Sorry to sound pessimistic But I am not sure DRDO can come up with a working engine in that time frame. Kaveri proved that we need atleast 10-15 years for that.

If GTRE produces a competent engine for AURA,I will say I am satisfied with their work.We should not expect so much from GTRE,it fuc**** pisses me off to be disappointed later.

Sorry to sound pessimistic But I am not sure DRDO can come up with a working engine in that time frame. Kaveri proved that we need atleast 10-15 years for that.

Take it with a pinch of sarcasm bro. Do you think I was serious when I wrote that??? lol...

We need continuous development in this field. After LCA-Mk2 we should focus on this with the experience from PAK-FA & Rafale co production/ToT

When there is no sign of any prototype for atleast 7-8 years, why would they issue RFP next year..? Something is not right.

Well, they can evaluate possible engines, which alone will take some time in India. More interesting though is, when they plan to have a stealth airframe designed and ready for ground tests, which might be the far bigger problem. ADA is showing credible problems in aircraft design, which makes a NG fighter design that not only should be stealthy but aerodynamic to be a very huge step. I already can see the reports stating, it's an "ambitious" project.

If GTRE produces a competent engine for AURA,I will say I am satisfied with their work.We should not expect so much from GTRE,it fuc**** pisses me off to be disappointed later.

The problem is, that it's not the public that expects too much, it's DRDO that promises too much! They failed with a rather normal engine development with less thrust and now they aim on developing a NG engine with far more thrust and more capabilities. They simply jump on the next project, without delivering what they promised decades ago and for what they wasted millions of Taxpayers money.
We could be more than satisfied and happy with GTRE, if they get Kaveri ready for Mig 29K or later LCA upgrades. It would be great if they had joined the Russians in the Type 30 engine developments, to learn, but also to modify the engine if it benefits the operations in India.
Helping our forces doesn't mean it needs to be an indigenous engine, nor that it needs to be a world class engine and that's what DRDO fails to understand.

Back
Top Bottom