What's new

Actors Daniel Dae Kim, Daniel Wu offer $25K reward after 91-year-old shoved to ground in Oakland's Chinatown

For the every bit of these environmental laws being relaxed, Texas will be even more lax (the governer and mayors of municipalities there go state to state in the Midwest poaching companies to come to Texas by promising tax abatements, the lax regulations also help). California can’t win a race to the bottom. They should instead bring back and hold onto medium and high value added the way Germany does, especially in fields we attract immigrants in.

Well thousands of jobs for the unskilled sounds like manufacturing. Probably textile. The Liberals have already filled colleges with white collar administrative jobs (pushing tuition higher to pay for it all) so that is out.

Oakland has had a bad rep for a long time...just like Detroit.

I was on a business trip in Foster City in 1992 and rented a car. I decided to drive over all the bridges in the SF area just to check them all out. When I drove over the Bay Bridge to Oakland I made sure I immediately turned around to go back. It was bad even back then.

california_kalifornien_art_kunst_sunset_uta_amerika_america-271025.jpg!d

Still can't get over how cool all the lit street signs were. 👍

Almost all cities in LA county (better areas and major intersections) have lit street signs.

Almost all cities in LA county (better areas and major intersections) have lit street signs.

I wonder how common that is in the US.
Even the streets had reflectors everywhere (fire hydrants, hospitals). We can't do that easily in the NorthEast due to the snowplows.

I wonder how common that is in the US.
Even the streets had reflectors everywhere (fire hydrants, hospitals). We can't do that easily in the NorthEast due to the snowplows.

Like I said, California cities take these lighting infra things rather seriously. Street signs and stoplights are major indicators of how "wealthy" a city is and whether people will live there.

I am not saying other modern cities in the rest of the US don't have these, but this sort of illuminated intersection sign below is extremely common in the suburban wealthy coastal cities in California. Lucky for us, the weather is great all year round. Not to rub it in, but this after noon, it was in the mid-seventies. :-)

7810719486_761a9b4702_c.jpg

Well thousands of jobs for the unskilled sounds like manufacturing. Probably textile. The Liberals have already filled colleges with white collar administrative jobs (pushing tuition higher to pay for it all) so that is out.

You can lead a horse to water. etc.......

To work for a living in low wage manufacturing, you need minimum morals and a minimum basic work-ethic to work hard.

I doubt the inner-city underclass in the US has those values. But I've been surprised before.

I have seen Bangladesh apparel workers (young women) work three shifts in a row, because they needed the money to feed hungry mouths at home. Factories sometimes run 24/7 in three shifts, I have done it myself with the family business, when the container needed to go out no-matter-what, to meet a deadline that COULD NOT BE MISSED. I ordered take out and took naps on the office floor, did what was necessary.

This type of sacrifice and work ethic is absent in the US.

To work for a living in low wage manufacturing, you need minimum morals and a minimum basic work-ethic to work hard.

I doubt the inner-city underclass in the US has those values. But I've been surprised before.

This type of sacrifice and work ethic is absent in the US.

You are talking about people who have never felt the fear of starvation (and apparently not a fear of poverty either).

Last edited:
Like I said, California cities take these lighting infra things rather seriously. Street signs and stoplights are major indicators of how "wealthy" a city is and whether people will live there.

Apparently they have at least some of them in downtown Boston as I see these signs have wires attached to them so they are obviously lit. I can't say I've been walking around there lately at night so I never noticed it.
illuminatedSign.png

However I can't think of anywhere else I have seen illuminated street signs all over the place.

We certainly don't have a shortage of stoplights around here and they can't shutup yelling "wait" over and over or "chirp chirp" or "cukoo cukoo" or the machine gun "rat-atat-tat-tat" or "bong" at you when you press the "walk" button. We seem to have them in all kinds.

forget admin jobs in colleges and look at all the job openings in the trades.

and yes, we have bring back some manufacturing; Training people on the job instead of wasting their time in getting useless college degrees, only to work as a barista paying off $100k in student loans for a degree they’ll never use.

You are talking about people who have never felt the fear of starvation (and apparently not a fear of poverty either).
They starving but still hoping the government will gives free handout. Most are loner with no families.

You are witnessing the disintegration of the United States of America.

I am not saying other modern cities in the rest of the US don't have these, but this sort of illuminated intersection sign below is extremely common in the suburban wealthy coastal cities in California. Lucky for us, the weather is great all year round. Not to rub it in, but this after noon, it was in the mid-seventies. :-)

7810719486_761a9b4702_c.jpg
Is that over in Redding? How is that part of California year round? Weather wise, but also a sense of community?

Apparently they have at least some of them in downtown Boston as I see these signs have wires attached to them so they are obviously lit. I can't say I've been walking around there lately at night so I never noticed it.
View attachment 797486
However I can't think of anywhere else I have seen illuminated street signs all over the place.

We certainly don't have a shortage of stoplights around here and they can't shutup yelling "wait" over and over or "chirp chirp" or "cukoo cukoo" or the machine gun "rat-atat-tat-tat" or "bong" at you when you press the "walk" button. We seem to have them in all kinds.

...wait ...wait
You’ll like this

Is that over in Redding? How is that part of California year round? Weather wise, but also a sense of community?

I live in one of the coastal cities near LAX. Weather is not bad right now, this whole week is going to be in the mid-70's in the daytime, at night it dips into the low 40's at times. But you pay out the nose. A 900 sqft. condo is over a million and a half for example. Very densely packed but clean and well served area with restaurants, hospitals, beaches close by.
View attachment 797486

Yeah these are the new low temp lighted panels with either LED or LCD backlights. The older ones in California actually used outdoor incandescent or fluorescent bulbs. These panels are rated for outdoor use, and can stand temperatures from below -40 degrees to +120 degrees F.

Last edited:
You are witnessing the disintegration of the United States of America.

Well, the disintegration won't really happen right away. But the process of wealth shift has started.

Americans of this generation won't be able to live their parents' lifestyles (affording houses and cars like they did).

But people can find ways to adjust.

Back
Top Bottom