What's new

Abrams tank trying to crush a Mig-25

how did they manage to bury the foxbat?
i also heard that su-22s where also buried in a simmiliar manner.can anyone provide pics?

It's designed to be tough. The Soviets faced a fundamental difficulty when trying to craft a defense against the B-70: yes they could make a plane to catch a Mach 3 bomber at 70,000 feet, but how to shoot it down when Soviet air-to-air missiles were unreliable, lacked range, and were slower than the plane they were supposed to catch?

The solution: train their most ideological air defense pilots to fly a fast, strong, aircraft and in extremis - the B-70 would never be seen over Russia save in a nuclear war - command them to ram the bomber. So the MiG-25 is made mostly of steel, not aluminum or titanium save in critical spots, is propelled by two powerful and massively fuel-guzzling engines, lacks the swing wings of other Soviet aircraft of the period in favor of sharp edges and strength, and has a comparatively short combat radius.

MiG-25 fans should note that the only confirmed kill scored by this aircraft was when one overran the end of a runway and sliced through a school bus, decapitating most of its passengers. (ref: MiG Pilot)

how did they manage to bury the foxbat?
i also heard that su-22s where also buried in a simmiliar manner.can anyone provide pics?

SU-22

rsblg6.jpg

rsbo7s.jpg

rsbolk.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

rsbu5w.jpg

rsf0g0.jpg

Iraqi MIG-21 Buried

rsf0nt.jpg

rsfo9c.jpg

SU-25

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

rsfmvb.jpg

It's designed to be tough. The Soviets faced a fundamental difficulty when trying to craft a defense against the B-70: yes they could make a plane to catch a Mach 3 bomber at 70,000 feet, but how to shoot it down when Soviet air-to-air missiles were unreliable, lacked range, and were slower than the plane they were supposed to catch?

The solution: train their most ideological air defense pilots to fly a fast, strong, aircraft and in extremis - the B-70 would never be seen over Russia save in a nuclear war - command them to ram the bomber. So the MiG-25 is made mostly of steel, not aluminum or titanium save in critical spots, is propelled by two powerful and massively fuel-guzzling engines, lacks the swing wings of other Soviet aircraft of the period in favor of sharp edges and strength, and has a comparatively short combat radius.

MiG-25 fans should note that the only confirmed kill scored by this aircraft was when one overran the end of a runway and sliced through a school bus, decapitating most of its passengers. (ref: MiG Pilot)
it shot down a us UAV and a f18 according to wikia

Really? So these don't count?
Air Aces Homepage

Russian A2A missiles are fine, and get the job done.

fa75-1.jpg

As you can see, the Mig-25 is far tougher than it looks.:D

It pains me to see the beautiful Foxbat being crushed. But then again, US has a PHD in wasting resources worldwide.

---------- Post added at 11:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 PM ----------

i might be wrong, but wasnt the Iraqi Air Force the 5th biggest sometime during the 90's when Saddam was in power?

It is not the size, but the type of jets in right proportions. Saddam for some reason that only Heavens know, acquires so many Foxbats just to fight F-15s. HTF is that possible? Instead had he got more MiG-29s and trained his pilots better, he could have at least made some US/NATO kills.

This is the problem; most f these "generals" just buy for the heck of size or proportion rather than dedicated roles.

It is not the size, but the type of jets in right proportions. Saddam for some reason that only Heavens know, acquires so many Foxbats just to fight F-15s. HTF is that possible? Instead had he got more MiG-29s and trained his pilots better, he could have at least made some US/NATO kills.

This is the problem; most f these "generals" just buy for the heck of size or proportion rather than dedicated roles.

Only a handful of Iraqi pilots were actually 'qualified' for combat.

According to some analysts, Saddam didn't intend to see his troops to be well-trained or overall - a well rounded force. This was due to his fear of any future coup. A lot of his most senior officers were promoted for loyalty rather than merit. The man used cult personality.

Dictators are always a curious and a paranoid bunch. It is sad to see an entire army obliterated just because of the ego of one man.

No wonder why Iraqis hated him so much after the first Gulf War.

Undoubtedly, Saddam Hussien is one of the most iconic dictators.

Really? So these don't count?
Air Aces Homepage
I see my info was out of date. Thanks for the correction.

Still, that shoot-down happened in the 1990s. The MiG was put into service nearly twenty years earlier and at the time, according to Belenko (the Soviet fighter pilot who defected with his MiG-25 in the book above) ramming was expected to be the most effective tactic available.

This ine may not be liked by My pakistani frnds, But this is awesome...

In May 1997, an Indian Air Force Mikoyan MiG-25RB reconnaissance aircraft created a furor when the pilot flew faster than Mach 2 over Pakistani territory following a reconnaissance mission into Pakistan airspace. The MiG-25 broke the sound barrier while flying at an altitude of around 65,000 feet, otherwise the mission would have remained covert, at least to the general public. The Pakistan Government considered the breaking of the sound barrier was deliberate to make the point that the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) had no aircraft in its inventory which can come close to the MiG-25's cruising height (up to 74,000 feet)

/\/\/\

This one is my personal favorite.Had you forgotten it i would have mentioned it in my post.
I had a personal experience of this event and it did annoy me sometimes, but still in someway i like it.If someone can help i'll like to know the pilot.

That was an ordinary approach by our Air defence system(while having SA-2s,which had shot down the U-2, they never attempted to fire a single one for an attempt) as well as combined with some limitation in our air force inventory and the F-104 Starfighters were long gone.

At the crushing event........what a waste of such a beautiful bird.Any museum would have accommodated that piece with joy.

Saddam-era Iraqi Air Force == fail.

first of all, Iraqis had some of the best pilots. admitted by the commander who led the invasion of Iraq!
their whole air force structure was based on ground command, ( no awacs) the first thing US did was to destroy their command and control centers and radars. when Iraqi pilots took off, they were blind as a bat! and top off that, USAF f-15s were waiting right overhead to greet them with missiles.

Back
Top Bottom