Bild-137-von-2541-950x630[1].jpg

img_6350-3[1].jpg

Beelitz-23-1200x800[1].jpg

heilstaetten_beelitz_5_by_lunafeles-d88gltq[1].jpg

OP_anders%20verzerrtklein[1].jpg

Last edited:
Beelitz-Heilstätten Sanatorium,
Germany

"Rusty beds, vine-covered buildings and empty corridors with walls covered in graffiti and slowly peeling paint are what remains of a gigantic hospital which once treated Nazi leader Adolf Hitler, after it was abandoned in the fall of East Germany.

Beelitz-Heilstätten, a 60-building treatment complexsouthwest of the German capital,was built in the late 19th century to help rehabilitate the growing number of tuberculosis patients in the expanding city of Berlin.

During the Great War, Beelitz-Heilstätten -or Beelitz Sanatorium -was turned into a military hospital and was where a young Adolf Hitler was treated for a thigh injury acquired during the Battle of the Somme.

Beelitz-Heilstätten was built between 1898 and 1930 after an initiative by the German National Insurance Institute who found that the closeness to Berlin in combination with the fresh air of the countryside made the location ideal for a sanatorium.

Parts of the complex was turned into a military hospital by the German Imperial Army when World War I broke out and was where Adolf Hitler was sent to recover from his war wounds in late 1916.

The 60-building complex did not only have treatment facilities but functioned as a little village and had a butcher's, a post office, a restaurant, a bakery and even its own power station which was so powerful snow never settled on Beelitz-Heilstätten’s grounds.

Although the economic crisis following the war saw many wards close, Beelitz-Heilstätten was considered a global frontrunner in tuberculosis treatment.

During the Second World War several buildings were bombed by the Allied Forces and in 1945 it was occupied by Soviet forces and remained a Soviet military hospital even after Germany united in 1990."

Hitler's hospital: The haunting remains of Nazi Germany's Beelitz Sanatorium, where the rusting operating tables have lain untouced since it was abandoned | Daily Mail Online

Haunted by history: The ghosts of Beelitz-Heilstätten | Abandoned Berlin

It looks like it's haunted.

Or was it inception??

I would not venture into any of these places:fie: because I don't think I would return alive, I will die of a heart attack. My imagination would run hither-thither...
If you are alone in these places and that too at night.

Ok, i have bookmarked this thread, AMAZING STUNNING photography.
Didn't knew about a couple of places mentioned so will surely read about that so i will term this as a very informative thread. :tup:
As @Jungibaaz suggested, these places indeed are photographer's dream!!

You should look into this series
Life After People - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What happens to the world if in an instant every person on the planet vanished.

I was gonna link that, but you beat me to it.

Historically, one of the most common reason for cities to be abandon is rivers shifting routes. Before the industrial revolution, one of the main constraint for cities to support population is the available water supply. It doesn't need to be much, if a river route shifts as much as 40 to 50 kilometers, an once bustling cities can quickly decay into obscurity.

Detroit, Michigan, United States

"The City of Detroithas gone through a major economic and demographic decline in recent decades. The population of the city has fallen from a high of 1,850,000 in 1950 to 701,000 in 2013. The automobile industry in Detroit has suffered from global competition and has moved much of the remaining production out of Detroit. Some of the highest crime rates in the United States are now those of Detroit, and huge areas of the city are in a state of severe urban decay. In 2013, Detroit filed the largest municipal bankruptcy case in U.S. history.[1][2]On December 10, 2014, the city successfully exited bankruptcy."

Decline of Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom