What's new

A story of significant progress .

DOMESTIC CONNECTIVITY IN BANGLADESH
A story of significant progress
Every one will accept the transport data as has been written in the reporting. However, I doubt, if @idune and @Nilgiri will accept it.

I would like others to note that among all the physical infrastructures, the transport infrastructure counts the most. Without this element, all other planning of progress stalls. For example, because BD had provided the transport facilities thru its swamp land that Tripura could successfully build its Palatana power plant. I am not encouraging here the Indian trespassing, but giving just an extreme example.

BD transport system has certainly developed since 1947. For various reasons, it stalled during the first few years after 1970, but started to change after Ershad came to power. He developed much of the rural transport infrastructure.

Last edited:
Every one will accept the transport data as has been written in the reporting. However, I doubt, if @idune and @Nilgiri will accept it.

I would like others to note that among all the physical infrastructures, the transport infrastructure counts the most. Without this element, all other planning of progress stalls. For example, because BD had provided the transport facilities thru its swamp land that Tripura could successfully build its Palatana power plant. I am not encouraging here the Indian trespassing, but giving just an extreme example.

BD transport system has certainly developed since 1947. For various reasons, it stalled during the first few years after 1970, but started to change after Ershad came to power. He developed much of the rural transport infrastructure.

Bangladesh is relatively stagnating in HDI, even with the use of its BBS claims.

Now THAT is sad because BD isnt even really done with its first basic 10% development base (the most easiest stuff).

Bangladesh is relatively stagnating in HDI, even with the use of its BBS claims.

Now THAT is sad because BD isnt even really done with its first basic 10% development base (the most easiest stuff).
Yes, you are right about the Human Development Index. It is not developing the way it should be. Today, the infrastructure building in BD is due to the input by countries with high HDI. This kind of development will take the country from an LDC one to only a developing one in a few years. However, a decade after now, these activities undertaken with the help of foreign loans and their trained manpower will not be able to provide growth to our GDP.

In order to get a sustained growth, BD must give importance to develop its human assets. Without this, the GDP growth will slow down and stall at some point. However, Hasina and her party cronies are circulating that Bd will become a developed country by 2041 at a time when the country is unable to produce even a lathe machine? Now, think of any factory. It is congested with various types of machines. So, how this Hasina Begum proposes a developed country by 2041?

Yes, you are right about the Human Development Index. It is not developing the way it should be. Today, the infrastructure building in BD is due to the input by countries with high HDI. This kind of development will take the country from an LDC one to only a developing one in a few years. However, a decade after now, these activities undertaken with the help of foreign loans and their trained manpower will not be able to provide growth to our GDP.

In order to get a sustained growth, BD must give importance to develop its human assets. Without this, the GDP growth will slow down and stall at some point. However, Hasina and her party cronies are circulating that Bd will become a developed country by 2041 at a time when the country is unable to produce even a lathe machine? Now, think of any factory. It is congested with various types of machines. So, how this Hasina Begum proposes a developed country by 2041?

Look man, either BD people mostly blindly believe this SHW and BAL tall claims (and then BNP when they in power saying same stuff).... or they must be pragmatic and realise its all political drama....and fight for some new economic revolution based party.

Onus is on people of BD to ask govt to not overtax every single new industry so it cant even get started in whatever natural way BD current wealth, demand dictates.

If you get BD govt away from micromanaging the money flow....BD has good chance to make 2020 onwards a good pragmatic industrialisation. Otherwise its always going to be case of RMG + little extra (whatever govt decides it can give you after taking its cut...and whatever foreign markets will give you quota wise etc which will run out in big way after LDC status is gone).

BD is in zone where its population is not big enough like India to force major major pressure on govt structure by virtue of the population size alone (which is how a lot of basic stuff got done for SME in say automotive sector back during the 70s and 80s even under license raj era...that really expanded after 1991 reforms)....thus BD people need more street smarts. But instead they got two parties on the same coin on this issue....its up to BD people to change that....if you dont change that, that is your verdict and problem, and only yourselves to blame.

I have another proposition. Get the projects done asap. And build metro rail and BRT lines. And when these things are done, ban rickshaws. This is a lengthy process but it can work long term.

Also decentralizing Dhaka is also very important. Develop other cities.

Banning ricksas is not the solution I think. It employes vast number of people. Without giving these people alternative jobs it’s a non starter.

Decentralisation I can not agree more. All government agency HQs should be moved around the country away from Dhaka. The capital will be able to absorbe the negative impact without much issue and these will generate jobs in other smaller cities.

I would also move all the cantonments out of Dhaka. They do not serve any purpose and is wasting valuable lands in the city.

Back
Top Bottom