What's new

A redefinition of the Qur'an

I been watching a few documentaries and what not, not necessarily on Islam, but just general conflicts within the ME.
Let's not talk about the political aspect of it, just the religious aspect, is there anyone for any religious reason against this?

Why not get a few thousand Imans and just reread and redefine and readdress what Islam means to people?

The Christians did this with ecumenical councils, and China unified Confucianism as the leading "religion" with the Wu emperor of Han when he himself a disciple of Confucianism changed from the previous "religion" and established 2 thousand years of Confucianism within China.

Now I don't want to sound insensitive to anyone, and I'm not blind to the fact the religious factors are a issue, but not the whole issue in terms of conflicts, regardless of religion people are going to have conflicts, but eliminating a factor is still a good call.

I'm not making a thread on Christianity because its importance has more or less faded, so protestants, Catholics, doesn't matter, while china just isn't religious at all.

Genesis, Quran technically is a very rich language, all that you read in other languages other than arabic are effective called "Interpretation of the translation of the Quran". The problem is not redefinition , retranslation or anything the problem is some people out there not doing research and not trying to understand it but drawing criticism, attacking and insulting it and not reading and understanding it in the context...particularly the west is doing that...it is like before you even speak a redneck texas guy shoots you for no apparent reason...this has become the psyche of the non muslims world if not all more than half of them. So that is why we muslims in Islam at the our best try to tell to them in the end...to you is your religion to us is ours let us practise and we'll let you practise your religion.

The crux...study, education, knowledge, research, context.

School of thoughts can't change the Quran or its interpretation for example a school of thought can't change the word pray to God as pray to cow that would completely change the definition every school of thought believes and trust in the interpretation and the original arabic.

Last edited:
Islam doesn't prohibit asking questions.
Either answer him or don't bother at all, what you deem holy is not necessarily holy to everyone else.

@HRK

I'm not saying change the Qu'ran, but how people view it, we have preachers and Imans to teach us about religion, but much of it is the school of thought they follow. My redefinition, to my intentions at least, is to let all the religious people redefine their understanding of the Qu'ran of Islam, to have one view on the religion, to unite people under the one religion that they all practice, but are somehow less united because of it.

To my limited understanding, aren't all Muslims brother and sisters, but is that the case even amongst moderates.

My dear first of all I want to clarify that I m not questioning 'your intentions', but when somebody say 'redefine the Quran' generally have intension of reinvention of Islam as per the vested interest and the global political scenario, which suits to the interest of some powers.

As I said, I am not questioning your intentions because I believe you want to understand the basic of the issue and the religious sentiments attached with it.

My dear you need to know that Quran is the basic of Islam and God revealed it to the last and final Messanger Muhammad (PBUH). He was the first and the final teacher, educator, demonstrator & preceptor of the Quran, therefore we Muslims take reference from the life of Muhammad (PBUH). His deeds, actions are called Sunnah & his teachings are called Hadiths. These are the basic foundation of Islam, Quran and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH).

You mention about the role 'Imams and Preachers', traditionally they have a minor role in Islam just like consultant that too if there is some issue of importance which is not clearly explained or ordered in Quran, Sunnah or Hadith. In history Imams had played a positive role not just in the religious way but in social matters.

Political violence in the new world has nothing to do with Islam or religious school of thought it have its roots in political and social issues, but the problem arises when people start using religion to justify their actions and political motives, in that attempt they buy alliance of religious leaders (local Imam and preacher). This is a similar situation from which Europe was suffering during 15th and 16th century when European feudal and political class had alliance with Church.

In reference to Muslim World this situation is proving more dangerous because of illiteracy, it because of this reason they have tender out not only their religious affairs but political and social affairs which has created a viscous circle of social, political and religious exploitation of a common man.

My dear it is because of this reason great philosopher and our National poet Allam Muhammad Iqbal once said

"Khud badalte naheen Quran ko badal dete hainhuwey kis darja faqeehane haram be taufiq"

Meaning: They do not change themselve but change the Quran, muslims have fallen so low .......

Last edited:
Well the fault lies with the Muslims in general. When you don't know the Quranic sciences yourself then anyone who knows slightly more will wave his hat in front of you.
when general public knew much, the scholars were those who knew a lot. and today when general public knows little, scholars are those who know less than 'a lot.' and tomorrow when general public will know nothing, scholars will only know a 'little.'

Quran is a guidance for anyone who reads it but not everyone is allowed to derive rulings from it.
To start with, you should be knowing the arabic language of the time when Quran was revealed. you need to know the time when each verse, set of verses or chapter was revealed. then you need to know the reason/incident(s) which led to the revelation of a given verse. after you know that, you need to understand if what is revealed in the given verse has a specific or a general applicability. then you need to know which verse cancelled which verse and was this cancellation a complete cancellation or only a cancellation of ruling. Moreover, was this cancellation restricted to time or was it forever.
After you have done that, you should start with the prophetic interpretation of the Quranic verses and words. Then the interpretation of the Companions of the Prophet (peace and blessing be upon him and his family)... and so on.

after you have done all of the above, you are most welcome to 'redefine the Quran' by writing your own interpretation (tafsir) of it.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom