What's new

A R Antulay, implied that Hindutva forces may have been involved in the Mumbai terror

11/12/2010
Was Karkare killed by Hindu extremists?

New Delhi/Mumbai: In a startling revelation days after the second anniversary of the Mumbai terror attacks, Congress general secretary Digvijay Singh has said that two hours before the first terrorists struck that evening, chief of the Maharashtra ATS Hemant Karkare called him to say that his life was “blighted by constant threats” from those opposed to his probe into the Malegaon blast in which Hindu extremists were accused.

Karkare was killed by the terrorists that evening. Days later, then Minorities Minister A R Antulay had to quit after he said that Karkare could have been a victim of "terrorism or terrorism plus something."

However, Kavita Karkare, widow of Hemant Karkare, slammed the Congress leader for claiming that Karkare called him hours before he was killed in the 26/11 Mumbai terrorist attack to say that right-wing groups threatened his life.

"Pakistani terrorists killed my husband, Digvijay Singh is wrong," said Kavita. "No Hindu outfit is connected with my husband's killing. Do not link his death with threats from Hindu organisations. The statement can mislead people," she added.

Digvijay Singh's comments set off a tirade against the government. The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) slammed Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh for his "irresponsible statement" on slain Mumbai ATS chief Hemant Karkare, saying it was a "serious blow" to India's fight against terror and was an attempt to divert attention from scams facing the UPA government.

Woh pareshaan the: Digvijay Singh

Speaking to The Indian Express, Digvijay Singh said: "On November 26, 2008, at 7 pm, just about two hours before the attacks in Mumbai started, Hemant Karkare, the slain ATS chief rang me on my mobile and told me how his family and his life were blighted by constant threats from people annoyed by his investigations into the Malegaon blasts.

"Woh pareshaan the (he was worried), and he told me he was trying to trace the calls, but was depressed and worried by threats and personal attacks made in their newspapers. Karkare also told me that he was hurt that in a paper, the mouthpiece of a Hindu right-wing organization, allegations were being made that my son was minting money in Dubai, when in reality he was only a school student in Mumbai."

Singh said he knew Karkare as his family was associated with Chhatarpur in Madhya Pradesh (Digvijay Singh's home state too and where he was Chief Minister for 10 years). He said that Karkare's father was posted as a railway officer before moving to Nagpur and they often talked.

"I was so shocked and demoralized on being told of his death in the attacks in Mumbai late at night on November 26, that my initial reaction was, 'Oh God, they have killed him.' It was only later that I found out about other events taking place in the city on that dreadful day."

On December 6, Singh had shared these revelations with the audience at a function to launch RSS ki saazish -- 26/11? (26/11, an RSS conspiracy?) authored by Aziz Burney, editor-in-chief of Urdu Sahara newspaper.

Present at the function were Deputy Chairman of the Rajya Sabha K Rahman Khan and three MLAs from Delhi, Shoaib Iqbal, Chaudhry Mateen and Asif Mohammed Khan. Also present were leading lights from the clergy Maulana Mahmood Madani from the Deobandi sect, Maulana Touqir Raza Khan from the Barelvi sect and Shia leader Kalbe Jawwad.

The moderator was noted Akhtar-ul Wasey, director of the Zakir Husain Institute of Islamic Studies at Jamia Millia University.
In his book, Burney writes: "It was on November 12 (this year) after I heard Digvijay Singh at Nagpur, powerfully denounce the theories of former Chief of the RSS, K Sudershan on the Congress president Sonia Gandhi and other things, which were an attempt to stop investigations into the alleged involvement of people linked to the RSS, that I was inspired to put all my pieces together on this subject and air this suspicion fully that in fact Karkare's assassination was plotted by people associated with the RSS to stop him from unmasking the face of RSS-inspired terror...If Karkare had not been killed, he would have possibly unveiled the entire terror network and not just names of certain individuals, trying to turn India into a Hindu rashtra through violence."

Currently, Burney is part of the press team travelling with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Belgium and Germany, and said he would "elaborate when he gets back".

Clarify stand on Digvijay's remark on Karkare: BJP to PM, Sonia

The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Saturday slammed Congress General Secretary Digvijay Singh for his "irresponsible statement" on slain Mumbai ATS chief Hemant Karkare, saying it was a "serious blow" to India's fight against terror and was an attempt to divert attention from scams facing the UPA government.

The party also demanded a clarification from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi on their stand over Singh's comments.

BJP Chief spokesperson Ravi Shankar Prasad strongly condemned Singh's "unfortunate" remarks yesterday that Karkare had informed him about the pressure from certain Hindu organisations as he was investigating cases allegedly involving Hindu terror groups.

"The country's security, fight against terror and investigations into the 26/11 attacks case has suffered a serious blow due to Digvijay Singh's comments. Terrorists from across the border will question the entire 26/11 attacks," Prasad told reporters here. "Terrorists from across the border and their patrons are going to lap it up," he said.

He saw a "deliberate design" behind Singh's comment, saying, "it is an attempt to distract the embattled UPA and Congress party, which is facing a barrage of corruption charges. Congress is finding itself seriously handicapped".

The BJP leader alleged that Singh was making such statements to gain political mileage as he has been marginalised in the Congress. "He should find better ways to gain publicity and not make statements which harm national security," he said.

Prasad maintained that Singh's statement has given much leverage to terrorist elements like Taliban, Lashkar and ISI "who are saying, why are we being framed in 26/11 when a senior Congress leader is questioning the killing of Karkare".

"Today, Digvijay has emboldened the terrorists across the border. He has not done this for the first time... After the Batla House encounter, he had visited Azamgarh (to meet families of the accused) and now he is indirectly helping terrorists from across the border, who will question the 26/11 attacks," Prasad said.

Source: Indian Express & IANS

Was Karkare killed by Hindu extremists? -  National News ? News ? MSN India

that corollary can be drawn too.

While you might call it corollary,others might call it conspiracy without substantive proof... but it is not just semantics.

All these revelations are BS, it was dirty politics by congress to grab more of the muslim votebank
--------------------------------------------------
US embassy cables: Mumbai conspiracy allegations 'outrageous' – US ambassador

Post 26/11, Congress played religious politics: WikiLeaks

Post 26/11, a section of the Congress leadership was seen playing religious politics after one of its leaders, A R Antulay, implied that Hindutva forces may have been involved in the Mumbai terror attacks, according to a confidential memo by the then US ambassador to India, David Mulford, released by WikiLeaks.

"The Congress Party, after first distancing itself from the comments (of Antulay, the then minority affairs minister), two days later issued a contradictory statement which implicitly endorsed the conspiracy. During this time, Antulay's completely unsubstantiated claims gained support in Indian-Muslim community," Mulford wrote in his secret cable to the State Department on December 23, 2008.

"Hoping to foster that support for upcoming national elections, the Congress Party cynically pulled back from its original dismissal and lent credence to the conspiracy," Mulford wrote.

Regardless of Home Minister P Chidambaram's dismissal of Antulay's comments, the Indian-Muslim community "will continue to believe they are unfairly targeted by law enforcement and that those who investigate the truth are silenced," he said in the cable.

"The entire episode demonstrates that the Congress Party will readily stoop to the old caste/religious-based politics if it feels it is in its interest," Mulford alleged, according to the cable posted by WikiLeaks on its website on Friday.

The United States has neither confirmed or denied the authenticity of these cables, but said that some 250,000 papers have been stolen from its system and demanded that WikiLeaks - the whistle blower website - return them back to the State Department.

According to WikiLeaks, there are some 1,300 cables from the US embassy in New Delhi. However, only half a dozen of them have been posted by it on its website.

Mulford said while the killing of three high-level law enforcement officers during the Mumbai attacks, including ATS chief Hemant Karkare, "is a remarkable coincidence, the Congress Party's initial reaction to Antulay's outrageous comments was correct."

"But as support seemed to swell among Muslims for Antulay's unsubstantiated claims, crass political opportunism swayed the thinking of some Congress Party leaders," he wrote.

"What's more, the (Congress) party made the cynical political calculation to lend credence to the conspiracy even after its recent emboldening state elections victories. The party chose to pander to Muslims' fears, providing impetus for those in the Muslim community who will continue to play up the conspiracy theory," Mulford wrote in his cable.

:rofl: :rofl:

While "cooler heads" eventually prevailed within the Congress leadership, the idea that the party would entertain "such outlandish claims proved once again that many party leaders are still wedded to the old identity politics," he said.

The 79-year-old Antulay "was probably bewildered to find that his remarks, similar in vein to what he would have routinely made in the past to attack the BJP, created such a furor this time," Mulford said.

The cable noted that Antulay "sparked a political controversy on December 17 with comments insinuating that the killing of Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad (ATS) Chief Hemant Karkare by the Mumbai terrorists was somehow linked to Karkare's investigation of (Malegaon) bombings in which radical Hindus are suspected."

And were is invistigation that can put end to all these you call "rumors" ?

Back
Top Bottom