What's new

A picture full of hope from India

A country which spends billions on arms still needs volunteers educate its kids. This is no hope. It is the shame of India

The country spends billions on poverty alleviation too. Fact remains, we are a nation of a billion plus consisting of states that are largely autonomous. Democracy brings with it a great deal of opportunities, but it also brings vote bank politics to the fore. When it comes to India, the democracy.....you need to tread carefully and sidestep some of the corrupt lawmakers each with his or her own ambition.

It's a good initiative, but in a large country such initiatives need to be more widespread, to have a bigger impact.

There are initiatives. Now, it is being increased further. Earlier the only agency doing it was the Government with little support from the NGOs. But, recently, corporate have also entered this. Quite a few, Indian MNCs, now have dedicated programs, which is filled by young managers (and these are really educated and talented chaps!) who take a 2 year break to teach children.

There are states which have more than 90% literacy, but, there are also states which are playing catch up. For example, Bihar has the lowest literacy rate at approx 64% according to the 2011 census, but, it also has the fastest growth in literacy at close to 17% increase.

Having said the above we are still a decade away from being where we want to be. Once, this generation is stabilised the next generation will pick up on its own. The main criteria in a lot of states today is to keep the children enrolled.

Education is as basic need as food or shelter. Indian governments since 1947 have failed its citizens in this regard...that too big time.

Education is as basic need as food or shelter. Indian governments since 1947 have failed its citizens in this regard...that too big time.

Education is mainly a responsibility of each state government and not the GOI!

The following map speaks for itself (note the stats are outdated but the inequalities between the states still remain!)
literacyrate.jpg

But for a country, this typle is nerely useless, need national scale plan

It's not useless. He's doing it in the community nearest to him. So many other people are doing it. A sum total of all will be considerable. There's a saying in Hindi "Boond Boond se sagar banta hai"
But, yes i do get your point. A larger scale would be more beneficial.

Education is mainly a responsibility of each state government and not the GOI!

The following map speaks for itself (note the stats are outdated but the inequalities between the states still remain!)
literacyrate.jpg

When I say Indian Governments they include all form of governance structures governing India. Also I am unwilling to absolve the central government in this regard.

Yes, there are inequalities among states, but even the best are lagging behind lot of developing countries. Take the example of China. India and China at some past point were on the same boat. Chinese did a commendable job of educating its citizens since then.

When I say Indian Governments they include all form of governance structures governing India. Also I am unwilling to absolve the central government in this regard.

Yes, there are inequalities among states, but even the best are lagging behind lot of developing countries. Take the example of China. India and China at some past point were on the same boat. Chinese did a commendable job of educating its citizens since then.

The "best" state has a HDI comparable to developed countries...

A country which spends billions on arms still needs volunteers educate its kids. This is no hope. It is the shame of India

Defense is much less than 5% of GDP.... Where is the rest of 95% going? I wonder if a nation needs health care, education... Why they want to touch defence first?

But for a country, this typle is nerely useless, need national scale plan

Glass half full or half empty??....

everything is useful.....

tomorrow if you buy a phone and you dont know how to dial a number....its "USELESS".............understood??

Back
Top Bottom