What's new

A picture full of hope from India

Shabz Nist

Reaction score
Country
India
999873_10151991556254202_1970853576_n.jpg

As the Delhi Metro from the Yamuna Bank station rumbles on every day, something extraordinary takes place under its tracks. Children from the neighbouring slum gather here to let their imagination take over. And helping their dreams take shape is a West Delhi shopkeeper Rajesh Kumar.

Rajesh said, "I would regularly see children idly playing in the dirt in the area. I asked their parents why weren't they sending them to school. I got no answer, so I decided to start teaching these children from then. We didn't have much, so with whatever I could get I started teaching them here."

Rajesh started this project in 2008. From two students, his classroom now boasts of 50 young minds. Local shopkeepers, rickshaw-drivers and daily wage-earners have started sending their children to his classroom.

Kumar teaches students of all ages - he tutors them in Maths, Hindi and English, equipping them to secure an admission in local schools which had earlier rejected them.
One of the students Bharat Mandal said, "I was weak at math earlier, but now thanks to the teachers I can ace tests in my school."
Another student Namita Kumar said, "We get to learn many things, much more than what I learn in school."
The Greek historian Plutarch once said that the mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled. Education in any form delivers knowledge but more importantly it hones a confidence in people to take on the challenges of the world, and tap into a potential to achieve horizons unimaginable before.
Even in this desolate corner of the capital, Rajesh Kumar and Laxmi Chandra are nurturing that very spirit in these children, pushing them towards a brighter future for themselves, their families and society.

This made me so happy. I thought i'd share it with you all. With any luck, people won't troll this one to hell. Would be nicer if you post positive comments. If you can't, please don't post.

What the heck is this thread all about? What 'dreams' are you talking about?

Please put out some more details instead of making us punch in the darkness! :P

Edit to add: Ah thanks! That's better! You have finally edited your post and included some details. (Last edited by Shabz Nist; Today at 12:47 PM). :tup:

So many children out school???? only one people help them, can this be called hope or hopeless????

There are many initiatives like this. Starting from "teach for India" to schools like Kumar's. The purpose of this thread was only to highlight a single initiative instead of providing an exhaustive list. Making a full list honestly, is beyond me. There are hundreds of initiatives in a single state alone. Its not possible for me to list them.

There are many initiatives like this. Starting from "teach for India" to schools like Kumar's. The purpose of this thread was only to highlight a single initiative instead of providing an exhaustive list. Making a full list honestly, is beyond me. There are hundreds of initiatives in a single state alone. Its not possible for me to list them.
But for a country, this typle is nerely useless, need national scale plan

R u blind or just being a stupid. He has clearly mentioned about the hope of education for the kids living in slum or those can't afford education. Mr. Kumar is doing brilliant job. i would wish him Good luck. Thanks

this is for orinhunter..

It's a good initiative, but in a large country such initiatives need to be more widespread, to have a bigger impact.

But for a country, this typle is nerely useless, need national scale plan

There is already a national project. In addition there are thousands of private projects. Both large scale and small.

I only wished to highlight this single initiative in this thread.

There is already a national project. In addition there are thousands of private projects. Both large scale and small.

I only wished to highlight this single initiative in this thread.
Every one want to read and learn when he was a child, need some rapid methods, Illiterate adults should learn too
Project Hope--I want to go to school
20100909085944817.jpg

R u blind or just being a stupid. He has clearly mentioned about the hope of education for the kids living in slum or those can't afford education. Mr. Kumar is doing brilliant job. i would wish him Good luck. Thanks

this is for orinhunter..
Don't talk like a floozie with half a brain cell! :pissed: The OP has now edited his post to include the details which weren't there when he first posted it. You arrived on this thread much later after he edited it.

Do grant me some brains! :cheesy:

Back
Top Bottom