What's new

A new year for DRDO (lots of info guys)

I'm jumping in joy
Cant' wait for DRDO's Multi caliber gun..been waiting for 3 years as of now.
yayayayayayay yayayayayaya :victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:

Looking to fulfil its brief of also directly augmenting the most basic unit of warfare, i.e the soldier itself, DRDO is set to unveil the multi-caliber individual weapon system (MCIWS) being develped by the Armaments Research and Development Establishment (ARDE), Pune, (see Fig 4 and 5 below)

fig5-mciw.jpg

fig4-mciw.jpg

which will allow operators to alternatively fire 7.62mm, 5.56mm and 6.8 mm rounds by changing the barrel group, breech block & magazine. Provision has also been made to mount an indigenous 40 mm Under Barrel grenade Launcher (UBGL) (pictured above) capable of firing programmable air-burst rounds. CCD camera day sight and thermal imaging night sight can also be mounted on its picatinny rail system to engage targets in day & night conditions. The weapon body is machined with Aluminium alloy and a metal insert based 30 Round engineering plastic magazine and adjustable butt are also featured. Ambidextrous features for cocking, lever change and magazine change have also been incorporated.

DRDO believes that MCIWS is a contemporary assault rifle and will help put an end to a recurring critique focused on the vintage of the existing INSAS family.

Saurav Jha's Blog : A new year for DRDO

My favorite..
I'm so proud of DRDO. Hope there wont be any bias or foreign lobbying. DRDO DRDO DRDO is best :sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper::sniper:

Looking forward to this MCIWS. Never heard before about it.
I have been waiting for this since it was announced to be in trial with IA

Last I heard was "During this test the Kaveri did well, generating 49.2 KiloNewtons (KN) of “dry thrust”, marginally less than its target of 51 KN. But there was a serious shortfall in “wet thrust”; the Kaveri generated just 70.4 KN, well short of the targeted 81 KN."
Kaveri engine to fly futuristic unmanned aircraft | Business Standard

After this there is no news which says it has achieved designed thrust.
Yeah,it can acheive 81 kn of thrust but cant sustain it that is the main problem or has the tendency of throwing blades.

The ARDE multi cal weapon does have a killer look but the barrel looks to be quite short.And in my opinion,ARDE should have included the option to fire the 6.5mm Lapua or the Grendel and 6mm PPC rounds instead of the 6.8mm Remington SPC.The Lapua has unmatched long range terminal ballistics.

Yeah,it can acheive 81 kn of thrust but cant sustain it that is the main problem or has the tendency of throwing blades.

Still enough to power MALE UCAVs.

futureinsasrifle.jpg

This was speculated image of DRDO multi cal rifle,bullpup design.May be two versions were bulit..............

Can any one tell me what is ticket price for Defence expo -14?? this time I really want to visit that.

This 'will be' believable only when they actually integrate it to a fighter/drone or ship. It's still failing high altitude tests. :tsk:

In dec 2012 in lok sabha def minister A K Antony gave an update that demonstration of first block of flight of kaveri engine in IL-76(ftb) carried out.. (upto 12km max alt and max speed 0.7 mach total 27 flights for 57hrs.. Also completed official altitude testing.. (2004 tests were failed but i think 2007 tests were successfull.. News were there in 2010 about successfull altitude testing)..

In dec 2012 in lok sabha def minister A K Antony gave an update that demonstration of first block of flight of kaveri engine in IL-76(ftb) carried out.. (upto 12km max alt and max speed 0.7 mach total 27 flights for 57hrs.. Also completed official altitude testing.. (2004 tests were failed but i think 2007 tests were successfull.. News were there in 2010 about successive altitude testing)..

The tests were a partial success. the engine failed to develop the requisite thrust at higher altitudes, but at least didn't malfunction like in the previous test. Further integration and testing on Mig 29s will commence only when the requisite dry and wet thrust markers are reached. I don't know if it will happen this year or not. Going by GTRE's track record, it might not.:(

Back
Top Bottom