What's new

A New Chinese Tank?

maniac

New Recruit

Reaction score
Country
China
baea0e0d5fdcfc5e454a14635f6cb882.jpg

This photo is recently released by the Xinhua New Agency. It seems to be a modified Type 99A with an active protection system similar to the Russian Arena. This may be only a prototype and it does not have a roof-mounted machine gun.

I have seen this tank before it is merely a type 99 with a different ERA type system on it. I believe it was due to unsatisfactory performance of previous armour.

I have seen this tank before it is merely a type 99 with a different ERA type system on it. I believe it was due to unsatisfactory performance of previous armour.

I think you are referring to type 99A. this tank seems to have the same ERA as of type 99A. but the sensors are quite different from all previous type 99s.

China reveals details of new MBT

Johnathan Wen JDW Correspondent - Beijing

China's People's Liberation Army (PLA) has released pictures of its new Type 99A2 main battle tank (MBT), a week after Japan revealed details of its new MBT, the TK-X.

China has been testing the Type 99 for up to two years. However, the new images - released in late February by the state-run Xinhua news agency - were the first glimpse of the 'enhanced' Type 99A2.

Compared with the earlier Type 99A1, the A2 features reshaped armour on the front of its turret, which now appears to be larger, as well as redesigned explosive reactive armour (ERA) at the front of the tank.

Besides the updated armour, the MBT's most significant new feature is its turret-mounted active protection system (APS). Replacing the Type 99's original laser countermeasure device, the APS is believed to incorporate a millimetre-wave radar, although its full range of capabilities remains unclear.

Internally, the Type 99A2 uses an integrated propulsion system, which includes a 1,500 hp transverse-mounted engine, transmission, cooling system and fuel tank.

Xinhua quoted the MBT's testing staff as saying that they had been fine-tuning the tank's design for five years and that it was now in testing and awaiting final approval.

It is expected that the Type 99A2 MBT will enter service in 2009 to coincide with the 60th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China.

Back
Top Bottom