What's new

A Happy Ending - Migrating Sikhs find peace in Karachi

third eye

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
A good story - happy ending, one had got tired of reading sad stories. People have shared the same land for centuries .

mesJ0ct.jpg

KARACHI:

Known as a city of migrants, Karachi and its inhabitants are not usually considered the most welcoming hosts but for Hakeem Sardar Manmoon Singh Peshawari, a Pashto-speaking Sikh from the Khyber Agency, it has become home to his family and practice.

The young hakeem from valley Tirah spends his Wednesdays at the Hakeem Peshawari’s clinic at Masan Chowk – a Pashtun area near Karachi port – prescribing medicines to a growing line of patients.

The clinic at Masan Chowk is one of many – with education in herbal medicine from Peshawar, the hakeem now attends to around 1,200 patients visiting his clinics in different areas of the city. “I make Rs50 from one patient,” said Peshawari. “People from all communities and religions visit my clinics.”

He is among the few Pashto-speaking Sikhs in the city who migrated from Khyber Agency due to the worsening situation in Afghanistan and surrounding tribal areas after the 9/11 attacks in 2001.

“I was in Kabul in late 2001 but it became impossible to live there. That is when I moved to Karachi and opened a private clinic in Hub,” explained Peshawari. “Later, I shifted to Clifton.”

Apart from his nine family members who live with him in Karachi, the rest are in Peshawar. “We are all Pashtuns and our forefathers came from Afghanistan. We are original Sikhs and have been strictly following our religion for centuries.”

Though Peshawari and his family had to relocate from the Khyber Agency, their reasons had nothing to do with their religion. “Around 25,000 Sikhs live in Tirah and the Muslim Pashtuns there are proud of us and respect our beliefs,” Peshawari told The Express Tribune. “If we were not living in their areas, we would have left this country ages ago.”

Finding new homes

Pramjeet Singh, a 40-year old hakeem also hailing from Tirah, is another Pashto-speaking Sikh settled in Karachi. “I grew up in Tirah and my family, all Pashtuns, has been living there for centuries,” said Pramjeet, who runs his clinic in Landhi.

Despite his Pashtun background and language, he has never ever faced any problems in Karachi due to his ethnicity. “I have always been welcomed in all areas of the city – whether dominated by Urdu-speaking people or Pashto-speakers,” said Pramjeet. “I never felt any hatred towards me due to my background. I can run my clinic freely anywhere in the city.”

According to Sardar Ramesh Singh of the Pakistan Sikh Council, around 10 families of Pashto-speaking Sikhs from the Khyber Agency are now living in Karachi. “Most of these families moved to Karachi, rural Sindh and Punjab when the law and order situation in Khyber Agency deteriorated.”

Building communities

Business is the main reason why Sikhs choose to live in Karachi, Sardar Ramesh told The Express Tribune. “They visit each other and share their joys and sorrows” he said, explaining that their native language is Gurmukhi Punjabi but some of the Sikhs have adopted the language of the areas they have been living in for centuries. “Sikhs from Sindh speak Sindhi while those from FATA and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa speak Pashto.”

Pashto poet, writer and critic Prof. Dr Raj Wali Shah Khattak told The Express Tribune that although Sikhs are not Pashtuns by origin, they speak the language and share some of the cultural traits.

“I don’t think the Sikhs have roots in any of the known 3,500 Pashtun tribes,” said Khattak. “But they have been living long enough with the Pashtuns and follow parts of their culture. In my opinion, they should be acknowledged officially as Pashtun Sikhs.”

Published in The Express Tribune, February 11th, 2013.

We must provide them with adequete protection. It is a sacred trust to protect them. They sacrificed everything to stay here and they should be provided everything they need, we shoul acquiese to their every wish. These people did everything for Pakistan, run the top businesses and have given much to Pakistan.

Their heroes are Harcharan Singh and Jassi Singh Lialpuria. We should not let them feel alag. We must incorporate them within the fabric of Pakistan.

We should sign a petition for a minorities protection force now made up 60-80% of minorities. Maybe call it temporary until the terrorism situation ends.

Great find @third eye, respect!

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice to read. I had heard about some Pashtun Sikhs in Afghanistan and Sarhad, and that during warring times between the factions or during the chaos of NATO's war, that many of the Muslim Pashtun tribes on both sides of the border would give them shelter and protect them like brothers. It is very nice to hear and I would really like to visit Peshawar sometime to see our holy sites and the common people/heritage of that city, maybe after all this chaos lessens, and God-willing it will very soon.

Our elders in Punjab often used to give misaal of trust, loyalty and selflessness by telling us pre independence stories and about the olden days, that ik Jatt dah dil, teh ik Pathan dah, jiddah koi muqabla hannih.

there is a huge sikh as well as hindu minority in Punjab! karachi is already in the middle of a turf war....i hope they are protected!

KARACHI:

Known as a city of migrants, Karachi and its inhabitants are not usually considered the most welcoming hosts ...

Where did this come from? Karachi has the most open-hearted segment of society in Pakistan. The only thing that irks Karachiites is people coming into the city armed to the teeth and making no-go areas for others.

Hindus and Christians in Karachi are unarmed and therefore more than welcome to call this city their home.

I hope they are not harassed in karachi by MQM as most of them do business.
They mostly live in bara tehsil of khyber agency where army operation is going on. In peshawer sikhs are known for their character and honesty. You can trust sikh shopkeeper more than muslim one if you dont want to be decieved.

Where did this come from? Karachi has the most open-hearted segment of society in Pakistan. The only thing that irks Karachiites is people coming into the city armed to the teeth and making no-go areas for others.

Hindus and Christians in Karachi are unarmed and therefore more than welcome to call this city their home.

Icewolf is karachite and he has given a typical response. Karachi is most closed-hearted city with most racist enviroment in pakistan..

This is a true post to show the world that there are people and cities of Pakistan that really treats minorites well ...Thank you to the people of Karachi...

Peace, Karachi, two odd things in same thread, lets hope they get what they are expecting out of Pakistan

Are these Sikhs ethnically Pashtun? Or are they just Sikhs who migrated from Punjab to these regions.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom