What's new

A factual Comparison between India's Brahmos Missile and Pakistan's Babur and Raad Cruise Missiles.

You probably have never heard of RIM-161 SM-3

Weight
1.5 t
Length 6.55 m (21 ft 6 in)
Diameter 34.3 cm (13.5 in) for Block I missiles
53.3 cm (21 in) for Block II
Warhead Lightweight Exo-Atmospheric Projectile (LEAP) kinetic warhead
Wingspan 1.57 m (62 in)
Propellant Stage 1: MK 72 Booster, solid-fuel, Aerojet
Stage 2: MK 104 Dual Thrust Rocket Motor (DTRM), solid-fuel, Aerojet
Stage 3: MK 136 Third Stage Rocket Motor (TSRM), solid-fuel, ATK
Stage 4: Throttleable Divert and Attitude Control System (TDACS), [Aerojet]

Operational
range
700 km (378 miles) Block IA/B
2,500 km (1,350 miles) Block IIA [3][N 1][3]
Speed 3 km/s (Mach 10.2) Block IA/B
4.5 km/s (Mach 15.25) Block IIA [3]

Guidance
system
GPS/INS/semi-active radar homing/passive LWIR infrared homing seeker (KW)

It cannot catch up with Shaheen the speed of RIM-161 SM-3 is 3km/s shaheen is Mach 18 = 6.12 km/s. Even this baby cannot catch up with the shaheen 3.

I don't think India has SM-3. Bring in USA for Indian bragging?
Give him a chance I am solid on the facts here. Shaheen is the fastest till now.

I don't think India has SM-3. Bring in USA for Indian bragging?
You either need to use a better translator or improve on your reading comprehension, most likely on both:
Shaheen 3 is the worlds fastest missile 6.12km/sec. Even USA cannot intercept this Baby. This baby goes faster than those Hyper gliders and Anti air systems.Do you even think that Pakistan requires second strike Capability when no current system can intercept this it travels 367 km in one minute and the minimum response time of any Indian system is 8 minutes. You can only defend Calcutta if the anti missile system is placed in Dehli and the missile is launched from Peshawar.

A cruise missile is air breathing, that's why it flies slower as an outcome of it.
Agreed but air breathing is not the only thing what makes it cruise missile. Why use air breathing and make the missile expensive when solid fuel can do a better job more economically. You can say it is Indias road to cruise missile but currently you need more development. If you can understand what I mean. The slow speed in cruise missile is for a reason. Basically the cruise missile was designed by USA for other reasons but Pakistan is using it as a nuclear delivery platform

Weight
1.5 t
Wingspan 1.57 m (62 in)

Operational
range

Guidance
system

It cannot catch up with Shaheen the speed of RIM-161 SM-3 is 3km/s shaheen is Mach 18 = 6.12 km/s. Even this baby cannot catch up with the shaheen 3.

Give him a chance I am solid on the facts here. Shaheen is the fastest till now.
The ABM doesn't need to have same velocity as that of its target

its not supposed to chase the incoming Ballistic missile, but intercept it :lol:

Patriot GEM were mach 4 and Scuds were mach 5 yet they were intercepted 100% by patriots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIM-104_Patriot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scud

RIM-161 SM-3 are designed to intercept IRBMs a class of ballistic missile under which Shaheen-3 comes under

Brahmos is from Yakhont, which is an anti ship cruise missile. So technically, it's a cruise missile. However, it has no need and does not use a terrain hugging capabilities as it was created as an anti-ship missile. Missiles such as tomahawks has terrain hugging abilities as they were created to attack inland targets. Brahmos was created to attack ships in the ocean.

Because it's use to attack ships, it's doesn't have a map to tell it if it need to gain altitude as it's about to go over a mountain. And then to lose height once it passes the mountain. Tomahawks would be able to do that, Brahmos has no such ability.
Brahmos doesn't need terrain hugging or stealth..Brahmos is almost 5 times faster than Tom hawk & can evade almost any air defense.Also it would give enemy very less time to react.That's why we operate Brahmos as only cruise missile in inventory.
Also Nirbhay will again be tested on 2018 & hope to have a successful result.As per specification it has all capabilities that Babur possess with more than 1000km range..

Last edited:
The ABM doesn't need to have same velocity as that of its target

its not supposed to chase the incoming Ballistic missile, but intercept it :lol:

Patriot GEM were mach 4 and Scuds were mach 5 yet they were intercepted 100% by patriots.

Agreed but when the speed goes above Mach 10 i.e Mach 10+1 the ABS has to be directly at point of strike and the RADAR RANGE has to more than 1000 km for inner atmosphere missiles other wise ANS has to chase up. Russia is experimenting with S 500 system for such interception but the result has still to come. This is the very reason USA has shown fear of Hyper gliders.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ntal-United-States-Air-Force-chiefs-warn.html
Here is the link

For China the very idea of Hyper glider was developed after the Shaheen test. This is the only reason Pakistan is not worried by Indian anti missile defense system. Shaheen is the ability that is Pakistan's very back bone. We are not on a Ballistic missile track due to Shaheen. We don't need them.

So much about missiles, yet not a single person to name an object?

This missile is resting on what?

What is the appropriate/technical name for it?

temrest.png

Weight
1.5 t
Wingspan 1.57 m (62 in)

Operational
range

Guidance
system

Actually, Mach 18 is not very fast for ballistic missiles. ICBM are Mach 25 or more. Also, interceptor do not have to be as fast as the ballistic missile as its hitting the incoming missile head on. Finally, ballistic missile are generally not maneuverable, so it's tragectory it's easily calculated. That is why US, China and Russia are developing the glide vehicle. They are not as fast but their path cannot be predicted.

Actually, Mach 18 is not very fast for ballistic missiles. ICBM are Mach 25 or more. Also, interceptor do not have to be as fast as the ballistic missile as its hitting the incoming missile head on. Finally, ballistic missile are generally not maneuverable, so it's tragectory it's easily calculated. That is why US, China and Russia are developing the glide vehicle. They are not as fast but their path cannot be predicted.
there is no re-entry with shaheen system. Shaheen can hit North Africa and If it had re-enrty i would be categorize as ICBM.

The question WAS;

This missile is resting on what?
It seems like a display holder
It is not an ARMAMENT HANDLING EQUIPMENT (AHE)

A simple term went unanswered?

Many armchair generals here...

It's an MSU-166 AMRAAM Missile Stand (also used with AIM-7), used for assembly, disassembly and maintenance. Do I win the smart*ss of PDF award now?
Well it is a bad design that is why no one knows. The PDI group requires more marketing and better designers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom