What's new

A Crime against Humanity

2:00 AM, October 13, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 12:21 AM, October 13, 2017
The tale of a persecuted people
Shaer Reaz
Their mass exodus into Bangladesh and attempted entry into Thailand, Malaysia and other nations to escape a brutal ethnic cleansing at the hands of the Myanmar military junta has been termed the "the world's fastest growing refugee crisis."

They have been termed the "most persecuted minority in history" by the United Nations. Their history is one filled with sectarian violence and a struggle with identity that is unique in the modern worlds. This is the story of a systematically oppressed people—the Rohingya.
Click below to see the full timeline:
In the shadow of violence

Open letter from a Rohingya to Aung San Suu Kyi
81fe016dcf9c42c9b9ca84648c1cc885_18.jpg

Ro Mayyu Ali's book collection was destroyed when his home in Maungdaw was burned down [Ro Mayyu Ali/Al Jazeera
By Ro Mayyu Ali
Al Jazeera
October 14, 2017
Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh - I was born in the same year you were awarded your coveted Nobel Peace Prize.

It was one of the greatest honours to be bestowed upon someone from our country.
Everyone in Maungdaw, the area in Rakhine State where I am from, was filled with joy, and rejoiced your award as if it were their own.

For the first time since independence, we - the Rohingya - felt as though we were a part of this country. We were proud to call ourselves Myanmarese.
After suffering years of abuse at the hands of the military junta, your peace prize inspired us, a people who have suffered decades of oppression.

Growing up, my grandfather always spoke highly of you. He would choose the biggest goats and cows to slaughter when members of your party, the National League for Democracy, would visit. He would graciously welcome them.

My father and my beloved grandpa wanted me to follow the path you had chosen, and my mother was drawn to you by your powerful voice and activism.

In 2010, when you were finally released by the military from house arrest, we rejoiced. But seven years on, we, the Rohingya, remain victims of a brutal and genocidal state. This time, at your hands.
Since your general election victory in 2015, you pushed out Muslim representatives from your party. It was the first sign of your political cowardice.

A few months later, your administration launched "clearance operations" in northern Rakhine State. During those months, countless civilians were killed and women were gang-raped.
Despite widespread international condemnation, you denied the crimes.

You even refused to refer to us as "Rohingya", an accurate term that represents the ethnicity of my people - a people who have been living in Rakhine for centuries.
Since the start of the violence on August 25, more than 500,000 Rohingya have fled to neighbouring Bangladesh.

Over 1,000 Rohingya villagers have been killed, 15,000 homes have been burned down, and those that have remained are trapped in fear and desperation.
044a54b9c4714715950ef0f3a6f9a5ba_6.jpeg

Ro Mayyu Ali used to sit at this table and read his small collection of books [Ro Mayyu Ali/Al Jazeera]
On September 1, my parents and I were forced to leave our home.

After three days and two nights, we reached Bangladesh after crossing the Naf river on a small rowing boat. We later found shelter at the Kutupalong refugee camp.

I just received information that my home was burned to the ground. While many will say it was the army or vigilantes that burned it down, I feel as if it is you - Aung San Suu Kyi - that is to blame.
Not only did you burn down my home, you also burned my books.

I had always dreamed of becoming an author, studying English at Sittwe University, but as you know, the Rohingya are banned from enrolling or studying there, so I sought inspiration from books and articles.

You burned Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom. You burned Mahatma Gandhi's Autobiography. You burned Leymah Gbowee's Mighty Be Our Power. And you burned your own book, Freedom from Fear.

You are the one who is responsible for setting my hopes and dreams on fire.
And now, as we stand here in Bangladesh as refugees, my father has a question for you: "Why have you never visited the Rohingya, whether in Rakhine State or those forced to Cox's Bazar after everything that has happened?"

Do you even care about our situation?
What hurts most is not that we, the Rohingya, are the world's most persecuted community. What breaks my heart is knowing that we're the most persecuted community in your - Aung San Suu Kyi's - Myanmar.

You've chosen your path, that's clear for everyone to see. Now your name will be synonymous for the millions of Rohingya displaced around the world with the countless tyrants and dictators that have come before you.
Ro Mayyu Ali spoke to Al Jazeera's Faisal Edroos who can be followed on Twitter at @FaisalEdroos
http://www.rohingyablogger.com/2017/10/open-letter-from-rohingya-to-aung-san.html

12:00 AM, October 16, 2017 / LAST MODIFIED: 04:08 AM, October 16, 2017
Rohingya Orphans: 14,740 and counting
Our Correspondent, Cox's Bazar
A total of 14,740 orphan Rohingya children have been identified since September 20 when the process started in the settlements in Ukhia and Teknaf.

The Department of Social Service has been identifying and registering of orphans. Rohingya children who have lost one or both parents are being listed.

Pritom Kumar Chowdhury , assistant director of social service department in Cox's Bazar, who is coordinating the process, said the number of orphan Rohingya children could be almost 20,000.

The orphans will be provided with identity cards and given additional support and assistance.

The social service department also sought 200 acres of land within the 3,000 acres proposed for Rohingyas settlements to build an orphanage.
http://www.thedailystar.net/backpag...s-rohingya-orphans-14740-and-counting-1476958

Rohingya survivor: The army threw my baby into a fire
14 Oct 2017
MORE ON MYANMAR
Myanmar journalists harassed over reporting Rohingya crisis
Bangladesh: Wild elephants attack Rohingya camp, kill 4
Rohingya crisis explained in maps
Open letter from a Rohingya to Aung San Suu KyiyCox's Bazar, Bangladesh - Sitting on the dusty floor of a ramshackle tent in Kutupalong - one of Bangladesh's largest Rohingya refugee camps - Rajuma struggles to contain her grief as she describes the night her baby son was brutally murdered.

With pain etched on her face, she recounts in detail the day Myanmar's army attacked Tula Tuli, her isolated village in northern Rakhine state.

"My baby was in my lap when the soldiers hit me," she tells Al Jazeera's Mohammed Jamjoom, her voice cracking with emotion.

"He fell out of my arms. Then they pulled me closer to the wall, and I could hear that he was crying. Then after a few minutes, I could hear that they were hitting him too."
WATCH: Rohingya testimonies of Myanmar atrocities mount (02:51)
Sadiq was a happy, playful one-and-a-half-year-old baby boy - a child Rajuma still cannot believe is gone.

After ripping him out of her arms, Rajuma says Myanmar soldiers hurled Sadiq into a fire.

She was then gang raped.

"I feel like I'm burning on the inside," Rajuma says, before breaking down and crying out for her dead mother.

Her parents, two of her sisters and her younger brother were also killed. Her husband, Mohammed Rafiq, was able to escape and survived the attack.

Several Rohingya have shared similar accounts, describing how women and girls were raped, tortured and forced to endure acts of humiliation at the hands of Myanmar soldiers.

Myanmar has denied allegations of ethnic cleansing, saying the military offensive was a "clearance operation" to flush out Rohingya fighters who had staged attacks on border posts in August. It has also refused to allow international observers to investigate.
READ MORE: The Rohingya crisis through the eyes of a refugee
Since August 25, the Myanmar army has waged a brutal military campaign in northern Rakhine state against the Rohingya - a Muslim-majority ethnic group to whom the Myanmar government has denied citizenship and basic rights.

More than 500,000 Rohingya have fled Myanmar, most arriving in Bangladesh by foot or by boat, with aid agencies struggling to cope with the influx.

Support for mental health and psychological care is in short supply, raising fears that the Rohingya could be left with life-long mental - and even physical - damage.

"Sometimes [Rajuma] says her head feels like it's twisting and that she can't tolerate it," Rafiq tells Al Jazeera. "Sometimes she looks at the photos of our baby, and she screams and cries.
"Every single day she cries."
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA NEWS
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/10/rohingya-survivor-army-threw-baby-fire-171013083525896.html

Rohingya survivor: The army threw my baby into a fire
14 Oct 2017
MORE ON MYANMAR
Myanmar journalists harassed over reporting Rohingya crisis
Bangladesh: Wild elephants attack Rohingya camp, kill 4
Rohingya crisis explained in maps
Open letter from a Rohingya to Aung San Suu KyiyCox's Bazar, Bangladesh - Sitting on the dusty floor of a ramshackle tent in Kutupalong - one of Bangladesh's largest Rohingya refugee camps - Rajuma struggles to contain her grief as she describes the night her baby son was brutally murdered.

With pain etched on her face, she recounts in detail the day Myanmar's army attacked Tula Tuli, her isolated village in northern Rakhine state.

"My baby was in my lap when the soldiers hit me," she tells Al Jazeera's Mohammed Jamjoom, her voice cracking with emotion.

"He fell out of my arms. Then they pulled me closer to the wall, and I could hear that he was crying. Then after a few minutes, I could hear that they were hitting him too."
WATCH: Rohingya testimonies of Myanmar atrocities mount (02:51)
Sadiq was a happy, playful one-and-a-half-year-old baby boy - a child Rajuma still cannot believe is gone.

After ripping him out of her arms, Rajuma says Myanmar soldiers hurled Sadiq into a fire.

She was then gang raped.

"I feel like I'm burning on the inside," Rajuma says, before breaking down and crying out for her dead mother.

Her parents, two of her sisters and her younger brother were also killed. Her husband, Mohammed Rafiq, was able to escape and survived the attack.

Several Rohingya have shared similar accounts, describing how women and girls were raped, tortured and forced to endure acts of humiliation at the hands of Myanmar soldiers.

Myanmar has denied allegations of ethnic cleansing, saying the military offensive was a "clearance operation" to flush out Rohingya fighters who had staged attacks on border posts in August. It has also refused to allow international observers to investigate.
READ MORE: The Rohingya crisis through the eyes of a refugee
Since August 25, the Myanmar army has waged a brutal military campaign in northern Rakhine state against the Rohingya - a Muslim-majority ethnic group to whom the Myanmar government has denied citizenship and basic rights.

More than 500,000 Rohingya have fled Myanmar, most arriving in Bangladesh by foot or by boat, with aid agencies struggling to cope with the influx.

Support for mental health and psychological care is in short supply, raising fears that the Rohingya could be left with life-long mental - and even physical - damage.

"Sometimes [Rajuma] says her head feels like it's twisting and that she can't tolerate it," Rafiq tells Al Jazeera. "Sometimes she looks at the photos of our baby, and she screams and cries.
"Every single day she cries."
SOURCE: AL JAZEERA NEWS
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/10/rohingya-survivor-army-threw-baby-fire-171013083525896.html

No Rohingya woman safe from risk of being raped in Myanmar, experts say
www.thestateless.com/2017/10/no-rohingya-woman-safe-from-risk-of-being-raped-in-myanmar-experts-say.html
Four-Rohingya-women-at-a-refugee-camp-near-Coxs-Bazar-Bangladesh-All-four-said-that-they-fled-their-villages-in-Myanmars-Rakhine-state-after-being-raped-Photo-Saiful-Islam.jpg

Four Rohingya women at a refugee camp near Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh. All four said that they fled their villages in Myanmar's Rakhine state after being raped. Photo: Saiful Islam
By Reuters
Rape is being used as a weapon of war in the Rohingya crisis, with no woman safe from the risk of sexual attack as Myanmar’s Muslim minority is driven out of its homeland, according to experts in the field and those caught up in the crisis.

Doctors treating some of the hundreds of thousands of Rohingya Muslims who have fled to Bangladesh from Myanmar in recent weeks have seen dozens of women with injuries consistent with violent sexual attacks, according to U.N. clinicians.

And women interviewed by the Thomson Reuters Foundation tell of violent rape by Myanmar security forces as they flee their homes, part of a mass Rohingya exodus.

“The Burmese (Myanmar) military has clearly used rape as one of a range of horrific methods of ethnic cleansing against the Rohingya,” said Skye Wheeler, a sexual violence expert with Human Rights Watch who has assessed the fast-filling camps.

“Rape and other forms of sexual violence has been widespread and systematic as well as brutal, humiliating and traumatic,” she told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Myanmar dismisses all such accusations of ethnic cleansing, saying it has to tackle insurgents, whom it accuses of starting fires and attacking civilians, as well as the security forces.

Yet villagers fleeing the violence say rape is a routine weapon in the military’s armoury, with the United Nations now deliberating whether the violence amounts to genocide.
Gang rape
Whatever the legal definition, 18-year-old Nurshida knows only too well what happened to her.

Speaking to Thomson Reuters Foundation from the relative safety of her camp, Nurshida recalled how her class of 30 was marched in silence to their school last month, held at gunpoint by uniformed soldiers, then manhandled into the main auditorium.

The schoolgirls, she said, cowered as one in a corner; the men – breathing heavily and dripping sweat – occupied another.
The gang rape began immediately.
Fair-skinned Nurshida, with bangles looping her wrist and a loose scarf shrouding her hair, said she was chosen first by the group, six clean-shaven soldiers carrying guns and machetes.

“One of the men held me tightly on the floor. I started screaming, but a second soldier hit me in the face with his hand and undressed me fully. I was silent when they raped me, there was nothing I could do,” Nurshida said.

Her two friends were thrown to the floor next. As they were raped, smoke was rising in the distance – her native Naisapru village was on fire, one of many set alight in the exodus.

“All of the schoolgirls were raped and there were loud screams everywhere,” said Nurshida, sitting in a mud hut in Bangladesh’s Kutupalong camp where she is waiting to register as a refugee.

Authorities say her story fits a horribly familiar pattern.

“The stories we hear point to rape being used strategically as a weapon of war,” aid Rashed Hasan, a lieutenant colonel in the Bangladesh army.

Women of all ages and backgrounds have reported similarly brutal sexual assaults – as well as witnessing family killings, losing children and being forced from their homes.

“Rape is an act of power. It knows no discrimination in terms of age, sex or ethnicity,” Saba Zariv of the United Nations Population Fund told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.
Pregnant, raped, abandoned
At nine months pregnant, Jannet says she was brutally tortured and raped at her home in Myanmar.

“My husband was killed five days before soldiers attacked our village. Our three children have never been seen again since,” she said, cradling five-day-old Fatima in the flimsy makeshift tent she now calls home.

Fatima, who was delivered in a rice field, is her only remaining family member.

Late into her pregnancy, Jannet said she was alone when the army marched into Fakira Bazaar village. While everyone scattered into the jungle, the 22-year-old chose to hide.

“Several soldiers broke the door. They saw that I was pregnant, but they all raped me.” At the end of the day she was left naked, beaten, her children gone.

“I cried and screamed for them, but I still don’t know where they are,” she said. “I never want to go back to Myanmar … I have lost everything.”

Yet safety is not guaranteed in the chaotic Rohingya refugee camps that are quickly becoming the world’s largest.

Parvin, 20, said she has been rejected by her in-laws after soldiers beheaded her husband and raped her while she was five months pregnant.

“They beat me unconscious,” she said. “I woke up to an empty village and my in-laws searching for me. I was lying naked on the floor of their house.”

The last thing Parvin’s mother-in-law did for her was help her wash after the rape. “They told me they didn’t want to take responsibility for me and rejected me.”

Now she lives alone in a bamboo house, terrified of men.

“I can never get married again now that I was raped. I have no choice but to raise my baby alone,” she said. “That’s all that drives me now. I have lost all else."

'Unimaginable pain': Inside the Rohingya crisis - The Stream

photo.jpg

Al Jazeera English
A woman raped and her baby thrown into a fire.
A teen shot and his neck slashed.
A 9 month-old baby burned and fighting for her life after the Myanmar army set her village on fire.

These are just a handful of the atrocities that Al Jazeera correspondent Mohammed Jamjoom and photographer Fadi El Binni reported on while covering the plight of Myanmar’s Rohingya people.

More than 500,000 Rohingya have poured across the border from Myanmar into neighbouring Bangladesh since August, fleeing what the military calls a "clearance operation" against a small Rohingya armed group but what the United Nations has called a "well-organised, coordinated and systematic" campaign of killing, torture and rape directed at the Muslim minority.

Jamjoom, El Binni and fixer Rahat Azim Shaon have spent the last two weeks shuttling between refugee camps in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, the epicenter of the humanitarian crisis. "It is suffering and pain and trauma on a scale that’s so massive that it’s almost unfathomable," says Jamjoom. "I want everyone to see what I saw, even family and friends, just to understand the situation, how difficult it is for these people.

I covered the refugee stories before in Greece and Turkey, but I didn’t see something like this in my life," adds El Binni.

So what are the human stories behind the headlines and what is it like to be in the middle of one of the world’s biggest humanitarian emergencies? We’ll ask Jamjoom, El Binni and Shaon when they join The Stream to update us on the crisis and share the stories they uncovered.

Across Myanmar, Denial of Ethnic Cleansing and Loathing of Rohingya
HANNAH BEECH
OCT. 24, 2017
Myanmar Army’s campaign of killing, rape and arson in Rakhine, which has driven more than 600,000 Rohingya out of the country since late August, in what the United Nations says is the fastest displacement of a people since the Rwanda genocide.

But in Myanmar, and even in Rakhine itself, there is stark denial that any ethnic cleansing is taking place.

The divergence between how Myanmar and much of the outside world see the Rohingya is not limited to one segment of local society. Nor can hatred in Myanmar of the largely stateless Muslim group be dismissed as a fringe attitude.

THE INTERPRETER

Myanmar, Once a Hope for Democracy, Is Now a Study in How It Fails OCT. 19, 2017

NEWS ANALYSIS
Hands Tied by Old Hope, Diplomats in Myanmar Stay SilentOCT. 12, 2017

Rohingya Recount Atrocities: ‘They Threw My Baby Into a Fire’OCT. 11, 2017

New Surge of Rohingya Puts Aid Workers Back on ‘Full Alert’OCT. 10, 2017

In Grim Camps, Rohingya Suffer on ‘Scale That We Couldn’t Imagine’ SEPT. 29, 2017

Government officials, opposition politicians, religious leaders and even local human-rights activists have become unified behind this narrative: The Rohingya are not rightful citizens of Buddhist-majority Myanmar, and now, through the power of a globally resurgent Islam, the minority is falsely trying to hijack the world’s sympathy.

Social media postings have amplified the message, claiming that international aid workers are openly siding with the Rohingya. Accordingly, the Myanmar government has blocked aid agencies’ access to Rohingya still trapped in Myanmar — about 120,000 confined to camps in central Rakhine and tens of thousands more in desperate conditions in the north.
Photo
25rakhine-2-superJumbo.jpg

People gathering in the village of Sin Ma Kaw, which has banned Muslims from staying there. Credit
Adam Dean for The New York Times
The official answer to United Nations accounts of the military’s mass burning of villages and targeting of civilians has been to insist that the Rohingya have been doing it to themselves.

“There is no case of the military killing Muslim civilians,” said Dr. Win Myat Aye, the country’s social welfare minister and the governing National League for Democracy party’s point person on Rakhine. “Muslim people killed their own Muslim people.”

When asked in an interview about the evidence against the military, the minister noted that the Myanmar government had not sent any investigators to Bangladesh to vet the testimony of fleeing Rohingya, but that he would raise the possibility of doing so in a future meeting.

“Thank you for advising us on this idea,” he said.

The Rohingya, who speak a Bengali dialect and tend to look distinct from most of Myanmar’s other ethnic groups, have had roots in Rakhine for generations. Communal tensions between the Rohingya and ethnic Rakhine Buddhists exploded in World War II, when the Rakhine aligned themselves with the Japanese, while the Rohingya chose the British.

Although many Rohingya were considered citizens when Burma became independent in 1948, the military junta that wrested power in 1962 began stripping them of their rights. After a restrictive citizenship law was introduced in 1982, most Rohingya became stateless.

Even the name Rohingya, which the ethnic group has identified with more vocally in recent years, has been taken from them. The Myanmar government usually refers to the Rohingya as Bengalis, implying they belong in Bangladesh. The public tends to call them an epithet used for all Muslims in Myanmar: kalar.

The nomenclature is so sensitive that in a speech this month, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, the Nobel Peace Prize laureate and de facto leader of the government, referred only to “those who have crossed over to Bangladesh.”

Some ethnic Rakhine politicians are hailing the Rohingya exodus as a good thing.

“All the Bengalis learn in their religious schools is to brutally kill and attack,” said Daw Khin Saw Wai, a Rakhine member of Parliament from Rathedaung Township. “It is impossible to live together in the future.”
Photo
25rakhine-4-superJumbo.jpg

Daw Soe Chay, an ethnic Rakhine Buddhist from Myebon Township, was beaten and publicly shamed after her husband delivered aid to Rohingya Muslims in their camp in Sittwe. CreditAdam Dean for The New York Times
Buddhist monks, moral arbiters in a pious land, have been at the forefront of a campaign to dehumanize the Rohingya. In popular videos, extremist monks refer to the Rohingya as “snakes” or “worse than dogs.”

Outside Mr. Thu Min Gala’s monastery in Sittwe, a pair of signs reflected an alternate sense of reality. One said that the monastery, which is sheltering ethnic Rakhine who fled the conflict zone, would not accept any donations from international agencies. The other warned that multifaith groups were not welcome.

The abbot claimed that the authorities in Rakhine had stopped a car owned by the International Committee of the Red Cross that was filled with weaponry destined for Rohingya militants who carried out attacks against the security forces in August. Mr. Thu Min Gala claimed that sticks of dynamite had been wrapped in paper with the Red Cross logo. The Red Cross denied these accusations.

“We don’t trust the international society,” the abbot said. “They are only on the side of the terrorists.”

At another monastery in Sittwe, an elderly abbot, U Baddanta Thaw Ma, halted my conversation with a young monk by slapping the air in front of my face. “Go! Go! Go!” he yelled in English, before switching to the local Rakhine dialect. “Go away, you foreigner! Go away, you kalar lover.”

Public sentiment against Muslims — who are about 4 percent of Myanmar’s population, encompassing several ethnic groups, including the Rohingya — has spread beyond Rakhine. In 2015 elections, no major political party fielded a Muslim candidate. Today no Muslims serve in Parliament, the first time since the country’s independence.

A couple hours outside Yangon, the country’s largest city, U Aye Swe, an administrator for Sin Ma Kaw village, said he was proud to oversee one of Myanmar’s “Muslim-free” villages, which bar Muslims from spending the night, among other restrictions.

“Kalar are not welcome here because they are violent and they multiply like crazy, with so many wives and children,” he said.
Photo
25rakhine-3-superJumbo.jpg

A Buddhist woman and her son were staying at the Damarama Monastery, in Sittwe, after being displaced by violence in northern Rakhine.
Credit Adam Dean for The New York Times
Mr. Aye Swe admitted he had never met a Muslim before, adding, “I have to thank Facebook because it is giving me the true information in Myanmar.”

Social media messaging has driven much of the rage in Myanmar. Though widespread access to cellphones only started a few years ago, mobile penetration is now about 90 percent. For many people, Facebook is their only source of news, and they have little experience in sifting fake news from credible reporting.

One widely shared message on Facebook, from a spokesman for Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi’s office, emphasized that biscuits from the World Food Program, a United Nations agency, had been found at a Rohingya militant training camp. The United Nations called the post “irresponsible.”
The Interpreter Newsletter
Understand the world with sharp insight and commentary on the major news stories of the week.

The Myanmar government, however, insists the public needs to be guided.

“We do something that we call educating the people,” said U Pe Myint, the nation’s information minister. He acknowledged, “It looks rather like indoctrination, like in an authoritarian or totalitarian state.”

In Yangon, Mr. Pe Myint this month gathered local journalists to discuss what he called “fabricated news” by foreign reporters and a “political war” in which international aid groups favored the Rohingya.

Last month, a mob in Sittwe attacked Red Cross workers, who were loading a boat with supplies that locals believed would only go to the Rohingya.

Even among officials who might otherwise champion human rights, frustration has been directed at foreign critics. Quietly, some defend Ms. Aung San Suu Kyi’s failure to call out the military and protect the Rohingya by saying it would be political suicide in a country where hatred of the Rohingya is so widespread. They see the recent international pressure, at best, as ignorant of domestic complexities and, at worst, as intent on hindering Myanmar’s development.

“We ask the international community to acknowledge that these Muslims are illegal immigrants from Bangladesh and that this crisis is an infringement of our sovereignty,” said U Nyan Win, a spokesman for the National League for Democracy, which shares power with Myanmar’s military. “This is the most important thing with the Rakhine issue.”
Photo
25rakhine-5-superJumbo.jpg

Sin Ma Kaw, where an official said he was proud to oversee one of Myanmar’s “Muslim-free” villages.
Credit Adam Dean for The New York Times
U Ko Ko Gyi, a democracy advocate who was jailed for 17 years by the military when it ruled Myanmar, also evoked national interest.

“We have been human-rights defenders for many years and suffered for a long time but we are standing together on this issue because we need to support our national security,” he said.

“We are a small country that lies between India and China, and the DNA of our ancestors is to try to struggle for our survival,” Mr. Ko Ko Gyi said. “If you in the West criticize us too much, then you will push us into the arms of China and Russia.”

Last month, those two permanent members of the United Nations Security Council shielded Myanmar from an attempt by other nations to condemn the Myanmar military for its offensive in Rakhine.

The humanitarian situation has grown desperate within Rakhine while the official block on aid largely continues.

Throughout the state, ethnic Rakhine have been warned by community leaders not to break the blockade. Last month in Myebon Township, in central Rakhine, women’s activists prevented international aid groups from delivering assistance to an internment camp where thousands of Rohingya have been sequestered since the 2012 sectarian violence, according to foreign staff.

But U Tun Tin, a Rakhine trishaw driver, needed the money and delivered food to the Rohingya camp. Shortly after, his wife, Daw Soe Chay, said she was accosted by a crowd that forced her to a nearby monastery.

Inside the religious compound, they beat her and sheared her hair. Then the mob marched her through Myebon, wearing a sign calling her a “national traitor.”

Despite his wife’s ordeal, Mr. Tun Tin said he did not regret having sent supplies to the camp, where Rohingya say their rations are running low.
“They are human,” he said. “They need to eat, just like us.”

Saw Nang contributed reporting from Yangon, Myanmar.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/24/...column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom