What's new

A brave American soldier-

Asalamu Alaikum

They've been itching to invade the North for decades, never have and never will. Even if it were a stalemate, that still counts as not losing.

The Bay of Pigs invasion was a failure, the US was unable to invade Cuba nor make it succumb to US pressure. They also failed to take out Castro despite dozens of attempts to do so. Cuba got the best of them.

We agree about Vietnam so I won't discuss that further.

I wasn't talking about the US wars with the Iraqi military, I was referring to their failed occupation of the country. They were forced to move out and the US-backed regime isn't the most stable nor the most popular (they're doing a hell of a lot better than the ANA though).

Not really bothered about the others since I never made any claims about them.

American armed forces are a war winning force.
No country can stand up to US military and hope to win.

So we don’t need anyone to prove their bravery.

Destruction can be done via nukes too. The US has utterly failed at securing territory and bringing a better reality --- why else would they want a peace deal with the Taliban? They've spent over a trillion dollars against a force that doesn't have an air force, navy or even any real armor.

Gotta love the military might of the "vanquished" adversaries.

its not about bravery... an RPG fired from a closed room would kill people inside room... the hot exhasut is lethal if a soldier is behind it. so he is avoiding that...
exactly...:coffee:

Fvck the US. A nation that lost all its wars. From Vietnam to Iraq. Now it is begging for help in Afghanistan.
US citizens still living a good life, can we say the same about people of Asia?;)

Asalamu Alaikum

They've been itching to invade the North for decades, never have and never will. Even if it were a stalemate, that still counts as not losing.

The Bay of Pigs invasion was a failure, the US was unable to invade Cuba nor make it succumb to US pressure. They also failed to take out Castro despite dozens of attempts to do so. Cuba got the best of them.

We agree about Vietnam so I won't discuss that further.

I wasn't talking about the US wars with the Iraqi military, I was referring to their failed occupation of the country. They were forced to move out and the US-backed regime isn't the most stable nor the most popular (they're doing a hell of a lot better than the ANA though).

Not really bothered about the others since I never made any claims about them.
Waliakum musalam

If China had not intervened, US would have sorted out Korean issue in the 1950s. Thanks to China, Korean peninsula remains divided to this day. Anyways, Trump administration was willing to take its chances with North Korea in the battlefield but Kim Jong Unn chose the path of diplomacy to address dispute.

The Bay of Pigs invasion undoubtedly failed but US troops were not involved in this mission in any capacity - therefore, this is not a failure of US military. US came close to destroying Cuba in 1962 when Soviets were deploying long-range missiles there but Soviets averted this crisis by moving out from Cuba. US didn't bother with Cuba afterwards.

Failed occupation of Iraq? This occupation lasted 8 straight years (2003 - 2011), and US pulled its troops from Iraq after sorting out Iraqi civil war (2006 - 2008) and making sure that the new Iraqi regime will last on its own, and it is working. Obama administration made a campaign promise that it will sort out Iraqi issues and end its occupation - it stood by its word. If people were expecting an occupation for indefinite period then they are being naive - this isn't an era of colonization and fielding a large force in a distant region is really expensive with high-tech arms.

Keep in mind that few countries have the resources (and military capability) to occupy a distant country or two and sustain such overseas occupation(s) for about a decade in modern times. Even Russia is not in the position to replicate Operation Iraqi Freedom in current times. Pakistan conducted major operations in Waziristan in 3 phases, and almost bankrupted itself in the process. Very easy to judge performance of others in these matters.

You mentioned "among others" so I responded to this part.

Last edited:
Destruction can be done via nukes too. The US has utterly failed at securing territory and bringing a better reality --- why else would they want a peace deal with the Taliban? They've spent over a trillion dollars against a force that doesn't have an air force, navy or even any real armor.
This story isn't as black and white as your comments seem to suggest. Foreign interventions and civil wars have turned Afghanistan into a backward society where warlords reign supreme and chances of country-wide reforms are slim. It won't be far-fetched to declare Afghanistan a "wasteland." However, US is giving it a shot which is commendable.

Taliban was a pseudo-conventional force back in 2001 when US-led forces invaded Afghanistan. US-led forces decimated conventional forces of Taliban and toppled Taliban-led government in Kabul in a span of 1 month. In-fact, US-led forces forced the remnants of Taliban to take refuge in Tora Bora mountainous region and subsequently routed them from there in 2002. Survivors fled to Pakistan in order to reassess their strategy and re-establish Taliban.

FYI: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_briefs/RB9148/index1.html

US diverted its attention to Middle East in 2003 and Taliban re-surfaced in lawless sectors of the country in 2004. However, the resurgent Taliban did not achieve prominence in Afghanistan until 2014 when much of the ISAF had left the country. However, ISIS-K also reared its ugly head in Afghanistan in 2015. US renewed its war-effort against both militias in Afghanistan in 2017 under Trump administration, and have softened both by now. However, resurgent Taliban is drawing support from Southern sectors of the country and does not have shortage of potential recruits.

Taliban, in its current form, is an elusive opponent whose combatants do not wear uniforms and can easily blend in the public (Your neighbor might be a member of resurgent Taliban in Afghanistan, and you wouldn't notice). Taliban does not have military bases, logistics requirements, cities and institutions to safeguard - targets which will attract attention and fall to US-led forces. Taliban can operate in remote sectors of the country and it is in the position to exert pressure on Afghan regime - all it needs to do is to destabilize population zones with suicide attacks and continue to bleed ANA.

Conversely, US is using Afghanistan as a test-bed for new types of weapons and battlefield doctrines. This is good for business (i.e. American Military Industrial Complex) and Pentagon's interests. FYI: https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/air-...-up-taliban-fight.540686/page-2#post-10202058

Therefore, it is a question of motives and not the capability to defeat Taliban in Afghanistan. US doesn't have shortage in firepower and resources but its policy in regards to Afghanistan is suspect.

Gotta love the military might of the "vanquished" adversaries.
North Korea and Iraq had professional armies in 1951 and 1991 respectively, and Vietcong received considerable amount of arms from USSR and China during the course of its war with the US. These were notable adversaries at the time by any measure.

US-led forces packed sufficient punch to make advances against the Wehrmacht across Africa and Europe and Japanese imperial forces across the Pacific back in WW2. Therefore, former's strength is also legit by any measure.

Back
Top Bottom