What's new

A billionaire Musharraf paid no tax for years

I think we are nitpicking. I don't know the exact amount either, but what is clear is that he had a clear and transparent source of income from his work abroad. That much is established.

I understand that and I mentioned that already. However the amount reported by Alpha1 was a little too much to believe. I was merely double checking with him if he had any source of that.

I am sure he makes good money form lectures and interviews

I think we are nitpicking. I don't know the exact amount either, but what is clear is that he had a clear and transparent source of income from his work abroad. That much is established. Now do you think that he would venture in illegal activities for a few million rupees and try to hide it?

Suffice it to say, he was well taken care of even if he did not do the lecture circuit. Any CoAS of the Army gets significant financial incentives including land from the GoP and revenues from the sale of which are used to supplement the retirement/pension.

The Devil is always in the Details.......
Even more so in matters related to Taxes; most of all Income Taxes.

I understand that and I mentioned that already. However the amount reported by Alpha1 was a little too much to believe. I was merely double checking with him if he had any source of that.
Bill clinton takes from $150,000- $450,000 per lecture. It isn't too surprising for me

Stick to the topic on hand instead of instigating.

Bill clinton takes from $150,000- $450,000 per lecture. It isn't too surprising for me

You are comparing chalk from cheese.

Last edited by a moderator:
Politicians,generals..they are all going the same way.Excepting a few,Trust only the foot soldier who is on the ground.Once they get higher up..never trust a suit.

You are not serious comparing Clinton and Mushy, are you?
Bill Clinton
Claim to Fame: 42nd U.S. President, 1993-2001
Fee: $75,000-$450,000

Bill Clinton made more than $50 million giving speeches between 2001 and 2006. Like many big-name speakers, he has different prices for different audiences. One speech at a Fortune Forum event in London in 2006 netted him $450,000. The Power Within, a Toronto company that hosts motivational conferences, has paid Clinton at least $300,000 multiple times. (He is scheduled to speak to the group again on June 20.) Clinton has given a handful of speeches for as little as $100,000 and one for $75,000 to the BBC in 2001. Much of the money from the speeches goes to the William J. Clinton
Who's Getting the Big Speaker's Fees? - BusinessWeek

Blair becomes world's best paid speaker, pocketing £364,000 for just one hour's work
Blair becomes world's best paid speaker, pocketing £364,000 for just one hour's work | Mail Online

@Alpha1 Again what has Clinton got to do with Musharraf? Clinton runs some of the richest charities in the world. His foundation Clinton global initiative is worth millions if not billions of dollars. The guy can raise millions of dollars in a few hours if he wants to. Him getting hundreds of thousands for a lecture is not surprising, in fact I already know it. I was surprised when you said Musharraf gets that much for a single lecture.

Musharraf sahib should be thanked for his work during most crucial period Pakistan faced since 1971 , thank you, anyone who does not understands the critical nature of his services to Pakistan and world peace they should really sit down and self evaluate themselves.

"That time period was the most dangerous for existence of Pakistan", whether some people in day dream land understand it or not

Globally Pakistanis were also concerning returning back to Pakistan since racism externally was on rise etc

The man served as President of Pakistan and has constitutional safety from persecution

The man has a modest farm house, which is reasonable after services of 40-50 years to Pakistani forces & then to Government of Pakistan.

Its enough that his voice was invited to talk to people in Universities and places of wisdom , however in our own country their are Jahils of epic proportions.

He has not given any major "Lectures" since 2007 and his house arrest issue and further more he was outside of Pakistan thus any income earned while he was outside of Pakistan does not needs to be listed. Under normal circumstances.

He retired from Office of government in 2007 this his income was finished at that point, since he already retired from Miltary Duties.

Income Tax is paid on INCOME you earn in a year (New income) not what you may have saved in past as a military officer or President of Pakistan.

Pakistan was on verge of Bankruptcy in 1999, and he stepped up to control the situation , and it was also a CORRECT decision

His decision on Red MOSQUE was/is 100% correct !!!

Last edited:
Bill Clinton
Claim to Fame: 42nd U.S. President, 1993-2001
Fee: $75,000-$450,000

Bill Clinton made more than $50 million giving speeches between 2001 and 2006. Like many big-name speakers, he has different prices for different audiences. One speech at a Fortune Forum event in London in 2006 netted him $450,000. The Power Within, a Toronto company that hosts motivational conferences, has paid Clinton at least $300,000 multiple times. (He is scheduled to speak to the group again on June 20.) Clinton has given a handful of speeches for as little as $100,000 and one for $75,000 to the BBC in 2001. Much of the money from the speeches goes to the William J. Clinton
Who's Getting the Big Speaker's Fees? - BusinessWeek

Blair becomes world's best paid speaker, pocketing £364,000 for just one hour's work
Blair becomes world's best paid speaker, pocketing £364,000 for just one hour's work | Mail Online

And these blokes also pay no taxes? On what they earn.

I am aware of UK laws, if you declare yourself non-resident, you don’t need to pay Tax on the income earned outside UK. When you return, you only pay tax on the money you bring in. US is the only country whose nationals are bound by law to declare all income no matter where they work in the world, but there re so many Tax allowances for ex-Patriots that many US nationals like foreign jobs such as in Dubai.

So what if Musharraf hasn’t yet filed his 2013 Tax Return. In the UK, if you file on-line, you have until Jan 30th of the following year. My own return for the Tax year that ended on April 5, 2013 has just been filed by my accountant. Even if you are late, you can still file it after paying a Tax penalty.

Most of the money earned by Musharraf was thru his book which was on best seller list for a very long time and as fees for his lectures. When you add the figures Musharraf has $25-million in Dubai accounts. Imran Khan also earned lot money from the 6 books he wrote (2 of which I also purchased). His net worth is bout $50-million; how much tax did Imran Khan pay to Pakistan on earnings from his books?

Imran Khan Net Worth - TheRichest

Musharraf as well as Imran earned their money thru ‘Halaal’ means. According to the report referred below Nawaz Sharif is worth $1.4-billion, Asif Zardari is worth 1.8-billion. Pray tell me how many books these two people have written or what great deeds they have performed to get so rich. Zardari's father owned one cinema and had some lands in Nawab Shah. Nawaz Sharif's Abbaji owned Ittifaaq foundery; nothing to scream about. Nearly all of this money is stolen from Pakistani exchequer.

Top 10 Richest People of Pakistan 2013 | TheWorldTopTens

Musharraf did not earn his money from the commissions like Mr 10% nor did he get his loans written off like the Sharif family. Musharraf also did not transfer his and his friend’s dollars abroad late at night before declaring freeze on the foreign accounts like Nawaz Sharif did.

Everyone would agree that Prime Minister has authority to dismiss COAS, not the other way round. Musharraf is definitely guilty of usurping power on Oct. 12, 1999 and he should be tried for that act. However since this would involve all the PCO judges including the vindictive Iftikhar Chaudhry, they don’t want to try Musharraf for that, instead only for declaring emergency in Nov 2007! This is clearly a vendetta.

Jang group and many of their anchors such as Hamid Mir are anti Musharraf because there paper was under fire during later part of Musharraf rule. They couldn’t find any corruption cases against Musharraf so now they want to malign his name for tax evasion?

Lest Geo Group forget that they were in serious trouble during Nawaz Sharif second term and it was Musharraf who thru allowing private TV channels made Jang –Group the media giants that they are today. Kindly read what Jang had published when this group was under fire in 1998.

Punishment For Telling The Truth

I am ashamed and disgusted at the narrow-mindedness and the bigotry of some of my countrymen especially of the Jang-group.

It reminds me of a Punjabi couplet Mian Mohammed Bakhsh:

Neechan di ashnai koloon kisay naeen phal paya
Kiker tey angoor charhaya har gucha zakhmaya.

Meaning, no one ever gained anything by being friendly with the low grade persons. If you let grapevine climb the Acacia tree, each bunch would be damaged.

sab ghorakh danda hai... they reach positions and then mint out Pakistan...

same for Kiyani family who are also billionaires..

Did Gen Kayani’s brothers make billions? - thenews.com.pk

yeh sab Pakistan ko khanay per lagay howe hain..

Yes only Imran Khan true momin and a believer and clean man. Hail Imran Khan the Messiah and savior of Pakistan.

The BBC links says, "During his time in self-imposed exile in London and Dubai, the former president is believed to have earned hundreds of thousands of dollars on worldwide lecture tours?" It doesn't say he earns $300K per lecture. The dawn link is a letter to the editor from some unknown guy from Karachi, not reliable.
There is an old saying :
There are only two things in Life that are Inevitable and Unavoidable; Death and Taxes.

Musharraff tried to prove that only one of those is Inevitable and Unavoidable!
Whats wrong with that; aakhir Commando hi toh hai..........

Your obsession with Musharaf bewilders me.

Last edited:
A billionaire Musharraf paid no tax for years

General (retd) Pervez Musharraf whose billions in offshore accounts were unearthed by The News and who consumes millions of rupees from the public kitty for his security and is presently enjoying free treatment at the cost of taxpayers’ money and always talks about “Pakistan first”, does not pay even a single penny as tax.

According to sources, Musharraf, who had a successful but dubious journey from rags to riches, did not pay any tax for the last at least four years. Instead, while violating the law of the land, he did not even bother to file his income tax return for the year 2013.

Though the sources claim that Musharraf has even concealed his offshore wealth from the tax authorities, in his nomination papers filed for the May 2013 elections he declared the total value of his assets at Rs645 million. However, this amount is far less than the amount shown in his offshore accounts by The News in 2012.

Musharraf’s National Tax Number (NTN) is 00187208. For the 2013 tax assessment year ending June 30, Musharraf neither filed his return electronically nor manually although under the law he was supposed to do it electronically.

These sources said that Musharraf did not pay any tax this year. In the assessment year 2012, he declared Rs1,567,000 as his total income but paid no tax. In the 2011 assessment year, he declared Rs1,467,420 as his income but paid no tax. In the year 2010, he declared Rs1,386,168 as his income but paid no tax.

Previously, while in service Musharraf, through at-source deduction of his salary, used to contribute a meager amount as income tax.In his ECP nomination papers, Musharraf confirmed that he did not pay even a single penny as tax during the last three years — 2010, 2011 and 2012. In his nomination papers he had declared the then value of his assets as Rs645,011,465.

He declared that his net assets, as compared to the preceding year, had increased by Rs129,002,293 from previous year’s total wealth of Rs516,009,172. Despite this huge increase of 129 million rupees, he neither paid any tax nor showed how he earned so much money. His FBR record, as presented to the ECP, however, showed that his total income was a mere Rs1.5 million.

The man, who costs in millions every month to the national exchequer, never informed the tax authorities about his billions. The tax officials also never sought any explanation from him as to how he managed to earn billions without paying any tax to the government.

It is relevant to mention here that there is no indication who has been funding him and how he became fabulously rich but the retired general has accumulated billions in offshore accounts besides the property that he has already purchased in foreign lands or in Pakistan.

It was revealed by The News in one of its investigative stories that Musharraf had at least seven to 10 offshore accounts in Dubai and London containing huge cash in dollars, pounds and dirhams.

In his book “In the Line of Fire” Musharraf admitted that he had come from a really humble background where they did not have enough money but now he pays at least half a million rupees as monthly salary to his personal staff residing in Pakistan.

Besides having foreign bank accounts, Musharraf had made huge saving investments abroad to earn large profits. In just one Dubai-based online trading service — MMA — Musharraf had US$1,600,000 (Rs145 million) a few years back. Musharraf’s account number was AV77777. In the Union National Bank, which is an investment bank in Abu Dhabi, Musharraf and his spouse Sehba Musharraf, had a joint account No 4002000304, in which the amount as reported by The News was almost UAE Dirhams 17,000,000 (Rs391 million). In the same bank — the Union National Bank — the couple had another joint account No400200315, which was a dollar account. This particular account last year contained US$535,325 (Rs48 million).

In yet another UAE Dirham account in the same financial institution — the Union National Bank — Sehba and Musharraf had almost UAE Dirhams 7,600,000 (Rs174 million) last year. The account No was 4003006700. In the fourth account, No 4003006711, in the Union National Bank, they had UAE Dirhams 8,000,000 (Rs184 million). In the fifth account, No 4003006722 in the same bank Musharraf and his wife had US$8,000,000 (Rs728 million). In the sixth account, No 4003006733, Mrs Sehba Musharraf and Mr Pervez Musharraf had UAE Dirhams 8,000,000 (Rs184 million) last year. In the seventh account, No 4003006744, in the same bank, the couple was holding UAE Dirhams 8,000,000 (Rs184 million). In their eighth account in the same bank, they had US$1,300,000 (Rs118 million).

During the initial few months of his taking over as military dictator following his coup against the Nawaz Sharif government, General Musharraf did make his wealth public, which hardly contained any cash but only some plots in different parts of the country.Musharraf claims to be Mr Clean of Pakistan.

A billionaire Musharraf paid no tax for years - thenews.com.pk

@Jazzbot

wow... yeh konsa

lol PTI boys, what happened, love affair began with geo news again?

It might not have been Musharraf's intention to not pay taxes. The system in Pakistan is such that paying tax is an impossible thing. Let me give you an example.

In Canada, we all pay vehicle tax. How? The government sends a letter and a form two months before expiry date every year. It keeps track if the tax was paid or not. If not, it sends the previous year unpaid tax next year. That is if you are lucky to avoid paying this year tax because if police catches you with unpaid tax, there is a very heavy fine.

In Pakistan my family has a car. We haven't paid tax on it for 4 years. Not that we dont want to pay but its so difficult to pay it.

The point I m trying to make it as that tax is never voluntary. Government has to enforce it.

Hilariuos to see MQM guys here keep pulling in PTI for no reason.

Do you have a source to back that up? I am sure he makes good money form lectures and interviews but $300K per lecture is a bit steep I reckon.

He is second highest paid lecturer in the world after President Clinton of USA

Back
Top Bottom