What's new

A-10 Thunderbolt II for Pakistan

Mercenary

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Pakistan is getting the Tiger Copter from France which costs 50 million but each A-10 Thunderbolt costs only 11 million dollars. Only 1/5th of the cost of the Tiger Copters.

Getting around 24 of these A-10 will add devastating firepower to the Pakistan Army.

USA is already starting to phase out the A-10 with the F-35 Lightning II and thus this could be very effective weapon platform for Pakistan

I personally think we should get USA to upgrade our Cobra fleet and get more advanced Cobra and then get A-10 Aircraft.

There is nothing in the technology in A-10 which makes it a top secret jet like the F-22 Raptor or the B-2 Stealth Bomber.

And the kind of fight we are in requires close fire support and these A-10 can add devastating fire against the Taliban and be a major factor in neutralizing Indian Tank superiority.

What do you guys think?

A10 is not anti insurgency weapon. Its typical battlefield weapon, famous as anti tank and anti armor weapons, plus need complete visibility of target to lock on. While attack helicopter is best weapon against insurgent. A10 has no role in WOT.(Its just a question , no need to start thread). Situation like in FATA need quick landing and take off pads, A10 need proper runway or strip.

We have talked about the A-10 before it was offered to us in past we didn't go for it and i don't thnk we will go for it now as Haider as stated some of the reasons ! although it is one bad A$$ plane but again we would like to see many other aircraft in our fleet but they are all dreams .

A-10 can be upgraded like we did with cobras.But if we want to go for ground AC then why not FBC-1 grwoler why old A-10s

Pakistan is getting the Tiger Copter from France which costs 50 million but each A-10 Thunderbolt costs only 11 million dollars. Only 1/5th of the cost of the Tiger Copters.

Getting around 24 of these A-10 will add devastating firepower to the Pakistan Army.

USA is already starting to phase out the A-10 with the F-35 Lightning II and thus this could be very effective weapon platform for Pakistan

I personally think we should get USA to upgrade our Cobra fleet and get more advanced Cobra and then get A-10 Aircraft.

There is nothing in the technology in A-10 which makes it a top secret jet like the F-22 Raptor or the B-2 Stealth Bomber.

And the kind of fight we are in requires close fire support and these A-10 can add devastating fire against the Taliban and be a major factor in neutralizing Indian Tank superiority.

What do you guys think?

the warthog has not been sold to anyone even israel !!!
the warthog is being upgraded and will remain in US service for another 10-12 years!

no such luck for PA!

Very true fatman17 but it was offered to us in the past which we didn't tak up in any case iam sure as you said no such luck for Pak perhaps now that it is !

A10 is not anti insurgency weapon. Its typical battlefield weapon, famous as anti tank and anti armor weapons, plus need complete visibility of target to lock on. While attack helicopter is best weapon against insurgent. A10 has no role in WOT.(Its just a question , no need to start thread). Situation like in FATA need quick landing and take off pads, A10 need proper runway or strip.

Very well said Haider, sometimes ago I mentioned that we can still use T-6s we have stored in a hanger just 6 of them will do perfectly they are rugged slow and can be fitted it all sorts of weapons, Tho it may sound stupid but I have 1600hr on them training our young Pilot Officers. You will be amazed that what that plane can do. I and some old timers had a talk during a Air-board meeting that give us 6 planes and we will do the needful it can be easily fitted with a laser designator and the bombs will land smack at the target. Shahid Latif was totally for it but the whole project died with his promotion. Our pilots will have no clue how to even start the plane let alone fly one its got 3 throttle in it but would be a perfect weapon against WOT. Plus why put or kids into danger when we are alive, We have gone through more than they can think off so why not now. I would gladly give my life for my country in a heartbeat and so will the pilots of our generation. Its better to die fighting than to wakeup have a cup of tea read the new paper and cry what is happening to the country.

We have talked about the A-10 before it was offered to us in past we didn't go for it and i don't thnk we will go for it now as Haider as stated some of the reasons ! although it is one bad A$$ plane but again we would like to see many other aircraft in our fleet but they are all dreams .

Can you please specify when it was offered to us?

Very well said Haider, sometimes ago I mentioned that we can still use T-6s we have stored in a hanger just 6 of them will do perfectly they are rugged slow and can be fitted it all sorts of weapons, Tho it may sound stupid but I have 1600hr on them training our young Pilot Officers. You will be amazed that what that plane can do. I and some old timers had a talk during a Air-board meeting that give us 6 planes and we will do the needful it can be easily fitted with a laser designator and the bombs will land smack at the target. Shahid Latif was totally for it but the whole project died with his promotion. Our pilots will have no clue how to even start the plane let alone fly one its got 3 throttle in it but would be a perfect weapon against WOT. Plus why put or kids into danger when we are alive, We have gone through more than they can think off so why not now. I would gladly give my life for my country in a heartbeat and so will the pilots of our generation. Its better to die fighting than to wakeup have a cup of tea read the new paper and cry what is happening to the country.

My deepest Reagrds for you sir:smitten::smitten::pakistan:zindabad

Sir Murad , its surprising rotary engine concept is coming back specially for training and anti-insurgency. These plane has good control for pilots,maneuvering and prune to survive from gunshots of small arms. In South America rotary engine planes are still used against drug smugglers and against armed gorillas.

Can you please specify when it was offered to us?

As, far as I know A-10 was offered to Pakistan in 1983. Pakistan rejected them and asked for F-16.
Pakistan wanted F-16 but USA offered A-10 and couple of other crafts (dont remember the name).

USA congress initially wasnt intrested to offer F-16 to Pakistan, but in the end they offered few through peace gate.

A10 is using depleted uranium bullets. You just do not want to have that in your country.And since when do terrorist use big columns of tanks? And indeed, the US will not export it and even if it did you end up with boycots and spare part problems...

It is a trend to modify old planes and use them for that. Nice, but in Pakistan you need to cover a much bigger area... By the time you get there you are wasting time for searching if you do not have assistance in hte air or ground. Older planes, lower altitude and very vulnerable to aaa.

Let us first destroy the enemy in a big way and then move to surgical strikes..JF17 with small diameter LGB's would be perfect. The plane and pilots will get experience and the plane will be improved and better for export cause it is tested in battle...

A-10 is very good option for close support in battle field. Its good time. We should ask america for A-10. If it is not very useful against war on terror. It is very useful against tanks. In case of indian armour and mechanized infantary invasion in Thar or Cholistan, A-10 will be hell for such type of misadventure.

if we really wana go with a ground bomber AC
my pic will be FBC-1
why? because
1) It is a very good precesion strike fighter can be used in WoT
2) It can help PA a lot in CAS along with Thunders
3) It can also be placed in Karachi for dedicated Naval role
4)No fear of embargoes as in case of A-10 or tiger
5)Cost? (havent been able to get any data on this aspect) i think it should be in the tag 25-30 Mln USD almost 2 FBCs in the price of one tiger

The thunderbolt is a freaking beast I love it. I wish we woulda gone for it simply based on it's badass 30mm avenger cannon alone lol :D

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom