What's new

90 percent area in Pakistan still safe for tourists: Dutch expert

Neo

RETIRED

New Recruit

Reaction score

KARACHI (May 28 2009): The government, media and people in Pakistan, instead of blaming Taliban and economic recession, should collectively start 'homework' to revive tourism industry in the beautiful, but militancy-hit country, where 90 per cent area is still safe for tourists.

This was stated by Bert van Walbeek, Dutch lecturer, an experienced marketer of tourism, hotelier and Managing Director of 'The Winning Edge,' a crisis management firm, during an exclusive interview with Business Recorder here on Wednesday. Jackie Ornuma Tisapramotkul Associate Director, Membership Services, Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) was also present on the occasion.

Terming Pakistan a country with beautiful people, 'incredible scenery' and historical sites, which can be a natural choice for the tourists, Walbeek urged the government to embark upon a proactive and positive-oriented 'internet driven' marketing drive to restore its soft image abroad.

Giving his suggestions to promote tourism industry in Pakistan he said putting exciting stories about mountain climbing in Pakistan on the widely-browsed websites, like youtube.com, devising a plan to work on crisis management, issuing supplements in newspapers, organising conferences and exhibitions in hotels and holding food festivals abroad are inexpensive and cheap ways to attract both local and foreign tourists.

'Tourism is all about attraction... there are over 100,000 teachers of history in Europe, bring those backpacks here and they would come because they understand it,' Walbeek, who has a 45-year experience in tourism marketing added.

Walbeek, calling inbound tourism in Pakistan a 'challenge', said it was difficult for the tourists to come in owing to the prevailing 'safety and security' concerns. 'Instead of blaming Taliban, the government, financial crisis, swine flu start saying that OK how can we start working for tourism. Let's look forward and forget about the past,' he urged.

When asked the Dutch expert if he concede that tourism is understandably not a priority for the government of Pakistan that, he said, 'much more fish to fry' in the present crises. Referring to a proverb, 'if it bleeds it leads', Walbeek said while 90 per cent area of the country is safe for tourism, he said contrary to the local and international media, like BBC and CNN, presentation which are portraying that 'Pakistan is burning.'

Giving her input Jackie Ornuma Tisapramotkul of PATA proposed an 'open communication' with these media networks to avoid sensational reporting in Pakistan. Jackie also dwelt upon the performance of PATA in connection with the promotion of public-private partnership in Asia Pacific region. Walbeek stressed the need for enhancing public-private co-operation, which could greatly help promote tourism sector.

He said besides looking for the teachers of history to play as a backpack, Islamabad could also train the university students of history in this regard. Throwing lights on the ways to boom the local hotel industry, Walbeek linked its growth with the influx of businessmen, exhibitors and tourists in the country. He further said that the leisure-seeking bankers coupled with extensive conferences organised by the world associations, including NGOs would fill up the local hotels.

This guy needs to re learn his math.

The NWFP, FATA,major parts of Baluchistan, waziristan & so many other ... isthans & now even the capital of Punjab are not safe even for Pk nationals wonder how he arrived at this figure of 90 % being safe for tourists.

The NWFP, FATA,major parts of Baluchistan, waziristan & so many other ... isthans & now even the capital of Punjab are not safe even for Pk nationals wonder how he arrived at this figure of 90 % being safe for tourists.

Are you speaking from ground experience or just another armchair commander at work?

isnt the same Dutch people hated throughout the history of burning Quran's.....suprising statement from so called "dutch expert"

Are you speaking from ground experience or just another armchair commander at work?

Neither..

I read the news just as much as anyone else..the " garden of Eden' does not bear roses any more .

If in doubt read the travel advisories on web sites of various nations for our part of the world.

Neither..

I read the news just as much as anyone else..the " garden of Eden' does not bear roses any more .

If in doubt read the travel advisories on web sites of various nations for our part of the world.

Actually the Dutch guy is very right! Travel Advisories are for wussies and are issued by Government to avoid lawsuits from their own citizens or to have some ulterior political objective.

Last year I was in the beautiful valley of Naran in the North of Pakistan and went up to Jalkhad with my entire family and friends. In Naran (on the Lake Saif ul Malook) we ran into Swiss tourists and further up the road towards Jalkhad we met with two beautiful female hikers from Netherlands walking absolutely alone on the marvelous highway with an intention to cross over to India.

The areas that you refer to in Baluchistan, NWFP etc constitute only a small percentage of the total area and population of Pakistan. These areas are also not the regular tourist spots and are highly in accessible even in peaceful times. :enjoy:

What makes you think that all of NWFP and Balochistan are unsafe?

The Dutch tourism expert is correct, and you are taking a very ignorant stand on this...

I'd say that over 95% of Pakistan is safe! And soon to be 100%, Insha Allah once these terrorists are taken care of! :pakistan:

What makes you think that all of NWFP and Balochistan are unsafe?

The Dutch tourism expert is correct, and you are taking a very ignorant stand on this...

I'd say that over 95% of Pakistan is safe! And soon to be 100%, Insha Allah once these terrorists are taken care of! :pakistan:

If i have a chance, i would go to Pakistan and experience the life there.I wanted to give contributions to the mountains‘ primary of Pakistan and, to help them achieve some dreams.
Action can change people's fates.:pakistan::smokin:

i agree with the Dutch , more than 90 % of the area is in fact safe.

A number of my friends have visited Kaghan , Naran , Lake Saif-ul-Malook , the Himalayas. ( no trouble at all )
In Islamabad Airport i also met with a couple of tourists who had gone to the northern areas for trekking and they said the area was perfectly safe and they faced no danger at all over there.

People have just assumed that since there is trouble in one area of Pakistan the entire area is not safe to visit

i just came back from pk and i went all over the place
nothing happened to me or anywhere close to me

World's Most Dangerous Countries for Tourists

It mentioned Pakistan on 5th Place in dangerous countries for tourist. In real no country is safe in today's world.

And the person who made that list is some kid named Iuri Tarabanov.

48c9daa29cd3c98b1caac3dd6e27fb09.jpg

I bet this KID never even set foot inside Pakistan in his life.

P.S. As long as you dont go to a village near the Pak-Afghan border you should be fine in Pakistan and the areas near the Pak-Afghan border were very peaceful before this war of terror bush started.

Last edited:
Seriously, I actually think Pak is OK, Pak ambassador in Beijing encouraged Chinese visit Pakistan and he said Pak is safe.

Off course he looks kid. But still Pakistan comes in top 10 failed state.

I think 90% is still not good amount of safety. One need to have around 99% security. I feel USA, finland has 99.99% security.

Dont Mix Failed State & Dangerous State

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom