What's new

9 highest Statues in the World, none of that is the Statue of Liberty

senheiser

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_statues_by_height

38. Statue of Liberty, Liberty Island, New York US, 46 m (151 ft)

Statue_of_Liberty_7.jpg

despite being so idolized its not even one of the 30 highest statues let alone one of the 9 highest

9. Great Buddha of Thailand, Ang Thong Thailand, 92 m (302 ft), 2008

Phra_Buddha_Maha_Nawamin_Sakayamuni_Sri_Wisetchaichan.jpg

8. Peter the Great Statue, Moscow Russia, 96 m (315 ft), 1997

Peter+the+Great+statue+12+May+2012.jpg

7. Qianshou Qianyan Guanyin of Weishan, Weishan, Changsha, Hunan province China, 99 m (325 ft), 2009

Guanyin_of_Lianhuashan.jpg

6. Sendai Daikannon, Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture Japan, 100 m (330 ft), 1991

P1120033.JPG

5. Emperors Yan and Huang, Zhengzhou, Henan China 106 m (348 ft), 2007

10.png

4. Nanshan Haishang Guanyin, Sanya, Hainan China, 108 m (354 ft), 2005

guan-yin.jpg

3. Ushiku Daibutsu, Ushiku, Ibaraki Prefecture Japan, 110 m (360 ft), 1995

Ushiku+Daibutsu+002.JPG

2. Laykyun Setkyar, Monywa, Sagaing Division Myanmar, 116 m (381 ft), 2008

Laykyun-Setkyar-statue.jpg

1. Spring Temple Buddha, Lushan, Henan China, 128 m (420 ft), 2002

spr+tem.jpg

Great, looks like our Chinese friends love big statues.

Woow.. Celebrating idolatry.. I didn't know the Chinese were big on Bhudda statues.

i think i studied that lord Buddha condemned idol worship ....can someone clarify this contradiction ??? ( no disrespect or offence intended )

i think i studied that lord Buddha condemned idol worship ....can someone clarify this contradiction ??? ( no disrespect or offence intended )

No, never heard of it. China always has lots of Buddha statutes in history. Plus, what is considered "idol worship?" You mean Buddha statutes are idols? To me, idol worship sounds like a term Abrhamic religions used to describe pagan practice in Europe and Middle East.

No, never heard of it. China always has lots of Buddha statutes in history. Plus, what is considered "idol worship?" You mean Buddha statutes are idols? To me, idol worship sounds like a term Abrhamic religions used to describe pagan practice in Europe and Middle East.

Buddhism is virtually a sect of Hinduism. A mere philosophical deviation. It gets rid of various gods and goddesses who oversee the functioning of the creation and assigns this role to Karma - in effect, a stripped down version of advaita.

Given this, it is surprising that Buddhists are the biggest idol makers. I dont think Buddha however had anything against idol worship.

Buddhism is virtually a sect of Hinduism. A mere philosophical deviation. It gets rid of various gods and goddesses who oversee the functioning of the creation and assigns this role to Karma - in effect, a stripped down version of advaita.

Given this, it is surprising that Buddhists are the biggest idol makers. I dont think Buddha however had anything against idol worship.

Buddhism is a sect of Hinduism (Sanathana Dharma), as much as Christianity and Islam are sects of Judaism, which they are not.
Buddha rejected the Vedas, which are central to Hinduism. Also, Buddhism is atheistic religion i.e. there is no concept of God in Buddhism.

Buddhism is a sect of Hinduism (Sanathana Dharma), as much as Christianity and Islam are sects of Judaism, which they are not.
Buddha rejected the Vedas, which are central to Hinduism. Also, Buddhism is atheistic religion i.e. there is no concept of God in Buddhism.

There are some principles of Hinduism which are also followed in Buddism, Hinduism is the main source from which the Dharmic religions find their roots.

Guanyin is also a Buddhist deity (technically a Bodhisattva). Also known as the Goddess of mercy/compassion.

She is one of the most popular deities, especially in the coastal regions of China, and around East Asia.

I always wondered who that was, the Chinese people in India (the ones from Hubei province) worship her. Although most of them have converted to Christianity now, but they still worship the traditional Chinese deities, specially this one.

I always wondered who that was, the Chinese people in India (the ones from Hubei province) worship her. Although most of them have converted to Christianity now, but they still worship the traditional Chinese deities, specially this one.

Guanyin (or more correctly Guanshiyin) is a literal translation of the Sanskrit "Avalokiteśvara".

Literally, it means "Observing the sounds/cries of the world".

She is the one that hears people's prayers and pleas for help.

(She is also very popular in Korea and Japan, where they call her "Gwan-eum".)

It is funny that budha looks more indian in indian statues,more chinese in chinese statues and more japanese in japanese statues..And In India,buddha statues look exactly like statue of mahavira..

It is funny that budha looks more indian in indian statues,more chinese in chinese statues and more japanese in japanese statues..And In India,buddha statues look exactly like statue of mahavira..

Same reason why Jesus was portrayed as a white man in the West, even though he was a purely Middle Eastern person who had never seen Europe.

As for Buddha, he was born in today's Nepal, so it makes sense that he would have hybrid South Asian and East Asian features. Like modern Nepalese.

Back
Top Bottom