What's new

9 highest Statues in the World, none of that is the Statue of Liberty

The Statue of Liberty isn't famous for its height. I'm not sure why it matters that it isn't the tallest.

The Statue of Liberty isn't famous for its height. I'm not sure why it matters that it isn't the tallest.

The guy who made the thread is a hater.

Hmm.... this is one strange arsed thread with a very strange topic heading..... Didn't know that Lady Liberty was in competition to be the tallest gal in the world! :D

Furthermore, after all the crap going on in Myanmar, my illusion of "peaceful" buddhists is gone. This thread is also somehow racist in nature.

Just thinking what people of for example 1000 year in fiture make of liberty status

Hope they don't think it's sort og sun goddess

Furthermore, after all the crap going on in Myanmar, my illusion of "peaceful" buddhists is gone. This thread is also somehow racist in nature.

What, only "one" incident in Burma and Buddhists are suddenly not peaceful?

How many incidents count as a coincidence, and how many incidents count as a pattern?

The most illustrious Statue is Leshan Giant Buddha, was buit in AD713, and completed in AD 803, the largest stone Buddha in the world, 71 metres (233 feet) tall.
Leshan Giant Buddha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
img456946_min.jpg

1_2_1227517701059.jpg

Guanyin (or more correctly Guanshiyin) is a literal translation of the Sanskrit "Avalokiteśvara".

Literally, it means "Observing the sounds/cries of the world".

She is the one that hears people's prayers and pleas for help.

(She is also very popular in Korea and Japan, where they call her "Gwan-eum".)

Interesting ....Avalokiteśvara can be split as

Ava - down or down from

Lokita - viewed (also the mother of the english word 'Look')

esvara or Ishwara - Hindu for God from the Samkhya philosophy. (Samkhya philosophy is the father of Buddhism)

Put together its 'God who looks down' on the world.

In Samkhya branch of Hindu philosophy its Ishwara who helps people get 'Moksha' or 'Mukti' ...or as Buddhist call it 'Nirvana'

Now There is a god in Hinduism who is also called 'Mukunda' ....or the one who gives 'Mukti'. Its Vishnu, the lord who 'looks down on the world' from 'Vaikunta' :angel:

Buddhism is a sect of Hinduism (Sanathana Dharma), as much as Christianity and Islam are sects of Judaism, which they are not.
Buddha rejected the Vedas, which are central to Hinduism. Also, Buddhism is atheistic religion i.e. there is no concept of God in Buddhism.

Buddha did not reject the vedas...there are many verses in sutta nipat were buddha has admired vedic scholars who truly understand the real vedas...while answering the questions of a brahmin, Buddha clearly stated that vedas were adulterated.

-------------------------

Buddhist idols were one of the very first idols in India even before the idols of hindu gods i think.

Dude, first of all, I'm not saying "Muslims" are peaceful either! Now back to topic, it wasn't "one" incident. It's sort of a genocide going on there, or maybe, it's something unique and local to our region of extended Indo-Pak, no matter what religion we follow, we have to be violent about it.

What, only "one" incident in Burma and Buddhists are suddenly not peaceful?

How many incidents count as a coincidence, and how many incidents count as a pattern?

Same reason why Jesus was portrayed as a white man in the West, even though he was a purely Middle Eastern person who had never seen Europe.

As for Buddha, he was born in today's Nepal, so it makes sense that he would have hybrid South Asian and East Asian features. Like modern Nepalese.

He was a prince of a kingdom which would be present day Bihar, his mother gave birth to him there while on travel.

Dude, first of all, I'm not saying "Muslims" are peaceful either! Now back to topic, it wasn't "one" incident. It's sort of a genocide going on there, or maybe, it's something unique and local to our region of extended Indo-Pak, no matter what religion we follow, we have to be violent about it.

Death toll in Burma is way too low to be a genocide, and there is no evidence of state involvement.

All reports suggest that the incidents are communal/ethnic rioting.

Nothing like Syria or Yugoslavia or anything like that.

Read couple of about-to-be-published reports few weeks back about Burma (very official / EU sponsored: Not sure if the bureaucrats in Brussels would give the go-ahead for submission) - whatever you may want to name it, it's systemic and well organized. I normally refrain from such comments.

Btw, what's going on in Syria is not a genocide, nor a civil war, it's got more to do with invading foreign forces / ideologies and people defending their country and identity. It's a war my friend.

Death toll in Burma is way too low to be a genocide, and there is no evidence of state involvement.

All reports suggest that the incidents are communal/ethnic rioting.

Nothing like Syria or Yugoslavia or anything like that.

Obviously a completely pointless comparison, with no value whatsoever.

This wasn't posted by a Chinese or Japanese though, it was posted by a... Russian? lol

Back
Top Bottom