85 of Pakistanis said they would support a law segregating men and women

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehboobkz

Reaction score
Country
India
Majority of Muslims want Islam in politics, poll says
They have mixed feelings about the militant groups Hamas and Hezbollah, the survey shows.

Reporting from Beirut —
A majority of Muslims around the world welcome a significant role for Islam in their countries' political life, according to a new poll from the Pew Research Center, but have mixed feelings toward militant religious groups such as Hamas and Hezbollah.

According to the survey, majorities in Pakistan, Egypt, Jordan and Nigeria would favor changing current laws to allow stoning as a punishment for adultery, hand amputation for theft and death for those who convert from Islam to another religion. About 85% of Pakistani Muslims said they would support a law segregating men and women in the workplace.

Muslims in Indonesia, Egypt, Nigeria and Jordan were among the most enthusiastic, with more than three-quarters of poll respondents in those countries reporting positive views of Islam's influence in politics: either that Islam had a large role in politics, and that was a good thing, or that it played a small role, and that was bad.

Turkish Muslims were the most conflicted, with just more than half reporting positive views of Islam's influence in politics. Turkey has struggled in recent years to balance a secular political system with an increasingly fervent Muslim population.

Interesting. It would be good to know more about the sample size and the survey methodology. One would get different answers for the same questions depending on the respondents' demographics. I have a feeling they specifically target semi-urban and rural areas.

where is the source? who carried out the survey etc???

------ edit--------------
i found the source & post complete not those lines which r good for Islam & muslim bashing

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-1206-muslim-poll-20101206,0,252922.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+latimes/news/nationworld/world+(L.A.+Times+-+World+News)

Many Muslims described a struggle in their country between fundamentalists and modernizers, especially those who may have felt threatened by the rising tides of conservatism. Among those respondents who identified a struggle, most tended to side with the modernizers. This was especially true in Lebanon and Turkey, where 84% and 74%, respectively, identified themselves as modernizers as opposed to fundamentalists.

In Egypt and Nigeria, however, more people were pulling in the other direction. According to the poll, 59% in Egypt and 58% in Nigeria who said there was a struggle identified with the fundamentalists.

Despite an overall positive view of Islam's growing role in politics, militant religious organizations such as Hamas and Hezbollah spurred mixed reactions. Both groups enjoyed fairly strong support in Jordan, home to many Palestinians, and Lebanon, where Hezbollah is based. Muslim countries that do not share strong cultural, historical and political ties to the Palestinian cause, such as Pakistan and Turkey, tended to view Hezbollah and Hamas negatively.

Al Qaeda was rejected by strong majorities in every Muslim country except Nigeria, which gave the group a 49% approval rating.

The poll was conducted April 12 to May 7 in seven countries with large Muslim populations. About 8,000 people were interviewed face to face, and the survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points for Pakistan and 4 percentage points for the other countries.

Lutz is a special correspondent.
Copyright © 2010, Los Angeles Times

Last edited:
hmmm I wonder who they asked...it does reflect a wider islamization of many many muslim countries that have become increasingly defensive against the western world. As someone who would prefer a seperation of religion and state, it is a worrying sign, but I can't speak for others, I may be part of a small minority.

Hello

We muslims with all our short comings want to live the life according to quran and sunnah is our dream which we like to turn it to reality.

This is not new to me.

TARIQ

I seriously don't see 85% of Pakistanis saying they want to segregate women in the workplace.

I would want to know the exact question that was asked

OK... so now Indians are out after starting a Pakistan bashing thread...
Why shouldn't the do it? they profit from it by selling it to west.

Indian's doesn't know that despite their lies all falsely accused states have more rights for women than India it self.

Women are not allowed in Indian air force but are allowed in Pakistan.

neither Pakistan allow to burn widows along with her dead husband.

USA went through this 60 years ago. :popcorn:

from my observation of this Mehboobkz's posts its pretty obvious he loves to bash Pakistan!

i can assure you that women are treated far better in Pakistan or anyother Muslim country for that matter than they are in india.

It is a Pew Poll and before dismissing it, should have searched online.

Here's the survey report:- Muslim Publics Divided on Hamas and Hezbollah | Pew Global Attitudes Project

Congratulations folks, 85% of Pakistanis want segregation in the workplace, 82% want to stone adulterers, 82% want to whip/chop off the hands of thieves and 76% want death penalty for those who leave Islam - all figures the highest amongst the countries polled every year. Proudly maintaining our brand in the annual survey.

I seriously don't see 85% of Pakistanis saying they want to segregate women in the workplace.

I would want to know the exact question that was asked

Question asked was:-

Q108a ASK MUSLIMS ONLY: Do you favor or oppose making the following the law in (survey country)? a. Segregation of men and women in the workplace?

You can find survey details here (https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=...tudes-Muslim-Report-FINAL-December-2-2010.pdf) and while sampling says it's disproportionately urban, that's not a new thing since all polls in Pakistan are + they say Pak is 33% urban while most accounts estimate a minimum of 40% urbanization now. Sampling error is taken to be 3 %age points.

guys y brng india into this.
theirs not even a single mention of india in the poll or article.
dont be so obsessed
on topic: interesting survey
49% in nigeria support alqaida
dats real scary

Think of it this way, how many 'average Pakistani laborers' work with women anyway?

Almost none.

Congratulations folks, 85% of Pakistanis want segregation in the workplace, 82% want to stone adulterers, 82% want to whip/chop off the hands of thieves and 76% want death penalty for those who leave Islam - all figures the highest amongst the countries polled every year. Proudly maintaining our brand in the annual survey.

Wow. So 15% of Pakistan is properly educated. This is so embarrassing.

Also, i'm on death row...

... COOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom