Devil Soul

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
800 babies buried in septic tank at Irish home for unmarried mothers
By AFP
Published: June 4, 2014

DUBLIN: Almost 800 babies and children were buried in a mass grave in Ireland near a home for unmarried mothers run by nuns, according to new research Wednesday which throws more light on the Irish Catholic Church’s troubled past.

Death records suggest 796 children, from newborns to eight-year-olds, were deposited in a grave near a Catholic-run home for unmarried mothers during the 35 years it operated from 1925 to 1961.

Historian Catherine Corless, who made the discovery, says her study of death records for the St Mary’s home in Tuam in County Galway suggests that a former septic tank near the home was a mass grave.

The septic tank, full to the brim with bones, was discovered in 1975 by locals when concrete slabs covering the tank broke up.

Until now, locals believed the bones mainly stemmed from the Great Irish famine of the 1840s when hundreds of thousands perished.

St Mary’s, run by the Bons Secours Sisters, was one of several such ‘mother and baby’ homes in early 20th century Ireland.

Thousands of unmarried pregnant women — labelled at the time as ‘fallen women’ — were sent to the homes to have their babies.

The women were ostracised by the conservative-Catholic society and were often forced to hand over their children for adoption.

Health issues and problems associated with the homes have long been documented. As far back as 1944, a government inspection report of the Tuam home described some of the children as “fragile, pot-bellied and emaciated.”

The recently discovered death records for St Mary’s show the 796 children died from malnutrition and infectious diseases, such as measles and TB.

Conservative Catholic teaching at the time denied children of unmarried parents baptism and therefore burial in consecrated lands.

The home was knocked down many years ago to make way for new houses, but the area around the unmarked mass grave has been maintained by locals.

A fundraising committee has now been formed and it is hoped that a memorial will be built with all the names and ages of the children displayed.

The Archbishop of Tuam Michael Neary said he would meet leaders of the Bons Secours Sisters to assist with the memorial.

Meanwhile, Archbishop of Dublin Diarmuid Martin said that if a public inquiry into the ‘mother and baby’ homes in Ireland was not established then a social history project was necessary.

Martin also said he supports “excavating what may be unmarked graves” at these sites.

A junior government minister has called for an inquiry to be established and the issue is expected to be discussed at cabinet.

The development is a yet another damning disclosure of a Church-run institution in Ireland following almost countless revelations of abuse and neglect at Catholic-run schools or institutions in recent decades.

My God. That is mass murder.
Did you saw that?This news was normally discussed and long silence. I bet to say that if a girl was beaten up with lashes by TTP barbarians then there will be 380+ more posts and whole Islam was blamed and dragged unnecessarily.

Did you saw that?This news was normally discussed and long silence. I bet to say that if a girl was beaten up with lashes by TTP barbarians then there will be 380+ more posts and whole Islam was blamed and dragged unnecessarily.
because its ireland. if this was in India.. we would have seen 20 pages already. Do check rape threads.
not many bother about whats going on in ireland here. UK and US will attract more response (chinese and iranians will love those threads)

As bad as it is it was almost a century ago when it started, not really recent news, terrible nonetheless but a sign of the times back then.

sad really sad :(

At least they are doing something to identify and give them a proper burial

:undecided: are these the signs of Armageddon, there's so much weird and depressing stuff going on around the world that it is sickening. Really sad news!:(

:undecided: are these the signs of Armageddon, there's so much weird and depressing stuff going on around the world that it is sickening. Really sad news!:(

This sort of stuff has been going on since forever, if not worse before. Take this bit of news. It's about a catholic home from 1925-1960. Only now, proper investigation was conducted and we have been blessed with the creation of the internet, all of those doom and gloom tails are now at our fingertips.

Everything going on around you is magnified in this information age.

This sort of stuff has been going on since forever, if not worse before. Take this bit of news. It's about a catholic home from 1925-1960. Only now, proper investigation was conducted and we have been blessed with the creation of the internet, all of those doom and gloom tails are now at our fingertips.

Everything going on around you is magnified in this information age.
Agreed because we are living in a very Advanced society, we have things now which were unheard of 10-15 years ago like smart phones for an example. But I realized that the more technology is advancing,the lazier we are getting not only physically but also mentally.

Agreed because we are living in a very Advanced society, we have things now which were unheard of 10-15 years ago like smart phones for an example. But I realized that the more technology is advancing,the lazier we are getting not only physically but also mentally.

I disagree. Some people don't make use of technology the way you and I might. Most PDF people are real smart compared to the average Joe, here in this forum we're are not representative of the general population.

Regardless of that I think technology is taking us into an age of exponential development. Never before have we had such capability as a species.

If you go back in history, the invention of the printing press was revolutionary. It helped turn Europe into the most scientifically advanced people. Now look at the internet, it's the printing press on steroids. At very young ages I see kids and I think, growing up as a Kid, I wasn't half as smart as some of these lot. The amount of information available to us is endless, I don't have to go anywhere, or purchase anything other than a computer and some connection package.

Whereas before, only the luckiest of people could go to MIT and see the lectures and material. These people subsequently became some of Earth's most brilliant minds. Now you go on MIT's website and open courseware. Anyone from anywhere in the planet can access that knowledge.

Mark my words, this century will move faster than any other and it will be more exciting than ever.

I disagree. Some people don't make use of technology the way you and I might. Most PDF people are real smart compared to the average Joe, here in this forum we're are not representative of the general population.

Regardless of that I think technology is taking us into an age of exponential development. Never before have we had such capability as a species.

If you go back in history, the invention of the printing press was revolutionary. It helped turn Europe into the most scientifically advanced people. Now look at the internet, it's the printing press on steroids. At very young ages I see kids and I think, growing up as a Kid, I wasn't half as smart as some of these lot. The amount of information available to us is endless, I don't have to go anywhere, or purchase anything other than a computer and some connection package.

Whereas before, only the luckiest of people could go to MIT and see the lectures and material. These people subsequently became some of Earth's most brilliant minds. Now you go on MIT's website and open courseware. Anyone from anywhere in the planet can access that knowledge.

Mark my words, this century will move faster than any other and it will be more exciting than ever.
If you put it that way then I totally agree because Knowledge is booming, Kids at a very young age are intelligent, for example my daughter is 2 and half years old, she knows how to operate both an iPhone and an Android phone. She can attend a call, disconnect, take pictures, play games,watch videos, set the brightness, etc. I can't stress it enough she has full control of the phone.

Last edited:
They may have more intelligence with technology but it is definitely lacking elsewhere, kids are definitely not smarter, on par maybe but your average kid is lacking alot of the fundamentals that existed in schools before the boom of the internet, many kids have lost the ability to seek out answers I have found sure they have far better tools to learn but those tools have many other uses which the vast majority of kids will opt for.

Of course the technology is a great thing though as the capable minds are able to go so much further than people even 10-15 years ago, they can go exponentially further than the previous generation could over their previous generation, the advancements that technology have had in the past few years have literally been a hundred years worth of improvement in a decade.

I think as with most things moderation needs to be key here, its destroying the social side of alot of young minds, all you need to do is look at places where the internet is literally a way of life and how people interact, places like S.Korea and Japan where there seems to be alot of struggling between human interaction, sure its cultural to but it could only take a few generations to get to that stage, as long as I get to wear a VR headset though im happy! haha

my dad(who was of irish origin) told me a similar story about these catholic run instituions in ireland back in the days. Its sad but im very wary of organized religious instituions, and tend to keep my distance with them, Id rather pray to GOD personally and go home, dont get too involve with these religious stuffs, cuz there are so many back deals/shady stuffs that goes on behind the scenes.:agree:

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom