What's new

63 Years On, India is Home to World's Biggest Population of Poor, Hungry, Illiterate

Shall we both compare how much India and Pakistan listen to "Goras" ?? And who listens the most..?

we both are , neither one is any less ... let me remind you they ruled both lands for over 100 years . Pakistanis nor Indians like to hear critism from cross border ... dont get so touchy !

PAKISTAN'S HUMAN DEVELOPMENT INDEX(Life expectancy,education and per capita gdp) IS 0.572 WHERE AS INDIA IS AT 0.612.
WE STILL ARE BETTER THAN PAKISTAN.

So we still don't know anything about the problem - but we do know India is doing better than Pakistan and that's really what matters.

Any wonder our forum members are scratching their heads wondering what the thread is about?

What action is being taken?

Can you please explain?

There are tons of schemes run by State and Central govt for Below poverty Line (BPL) people. Free/cheap food is offered to poor under these schemes and opportunity to earn living hood(Narega scheme) have been in place. If you want a comprehensive list of all the scheme for the upliftment of poor people then I will have to compile one and that information is freely available over internet. Even with these schemes, since the population we are targeting is pretty big it will take some time to fix the issue. Now since we have resources and opportunities, I am sure you will see the % going down in coming years.

Why are you apologising for the time it will take to fix? That there are as you say "tons" of schemes and the problem persists tell me that the problem is large and the schemes less than successful.

Actually, I have a bias, I just don't think government schemes are any sort of solution - I have said it before, I don't think, that is if most Indians are like most Pakistanis, that they want this kind of assistance that robs them of dignity - they want work - all men and women want work that allows them dignity.

So how then to create work for such a large under employed work force? This in my opinion is not something govt, especially Indian govt can do - only private companies, businesses can do this.

And of course even they will fail unless the population numbers, the increases, can be brought under control

So we still don't know anything about the problem - but we do know India is doing better than Pakistan and that's really what matters.

Any wonder our forum members are scratching their heads wondering what the thread is about?

Now read the OP post again and think on the lines you mentioned in bold part with roles of India and Pakistan reversed. How many of you know anything about this problem in reality? All that matter for OP is to prove some how Pakistan is doing better than India.

Tell me frankly don't you know what the thread is about? It's not for solution of the problem at least.

Last edited:
Actually, no one I have read thus far knows anything abou this problem, no Pakistani nor any Indian.

Indian has made economic progress, how did these get left behind ? some say it's the geography of economic development in India -- This raises the same question about why there and not in other places? then it raises questions abou the exact nature of this development

And I fear no one understands those well enough to educate us either.

Actually, no one I have read thus far knows anything abou this problem, no Pakistani nor any Indian.

Indian has made economic progress, how did these get left behind ? some say it's the geography of economic development in India -- This raises the same question about why there and not in other places? then it raises questions abou the exact nature of this development

there are major governance breakdowns in the sick states of india. there are judicial breakdowns in the sick states. there are no technocrats and there is little awareness among local leaders of how to promote development. unlike the central government, where there is a conscious though somtimes misguided policy for development, state politics is completely broken by and large.

for ur kind information, the most bimaru state..bihar is growing at a rate of 11 % for last 5 years. results will starting to show in next 7-8 yrs.

for ur kind information, the most bimaru state..bihar is growing at a rate of 11 % for last 5 years. results will starting to show in next 7-8 yrs.

bihar is growing from a very low base. its gdp per capita is a fourth of the healthy ones. it'll take 10-15 years atleast to get where punjab is today if it continues at 11%.

Well the thing is, rate of change is usually inversely proportional to the population and that to in India, a policy or a scheme which works in Punjab or Kashmir may not work in kerala or Tamil nadu.
That is the reason for the "Tons of schemes".
Another reason is that the benefits of globalization only trickles down slowly amongst the people.
On one side India is liberalizing with caution and on the other we are aiming for inclusive growth, inclusive growth wasn't an agenda after liberalization but in the recent few years we seem to have seen the light of things and go towards inclusive growth rather than explosive selective growth.
If you want further details, don't mind in posting the query

it is very unfortunate that economically resurgent India still remains home to the world's largest population of poor, hungry and illiterate people. Tragically,

Half full or half empty -- either way, it is a truth - Why Indians on this forum should be so defensive about the truth is beyond me.

Are you working to correct the situation? Yes they answer, but this is a self serving idea, after all, if indeed this was a priority, would the situation continue as it has?

But we digress from the Mantra of Everything is Golden in India and it just can't seem to stop blinding the world with that SHINE (a euphemism for less than the truth)

News Flash for Indians in America: India has her share of problems -- Well so do a lot of others (Pakistan included) - but then unlike Indian, they are not into imagining that they can hide from these problems or that non-Indian ought not comment on them, after all Indian comment on problems others face - and why not?

I don't think you"ve got the whole picture.

Check Mr.Haq's previous posts.He keeps posting them here from his blog

You"ll find a pattern.

Almost each and every article about India is on poverty or some misery.

The information is cherry picked(ignoring the positive points from the original source)to show India in bad-light as mush as possible.

If Pakistan is mentioned,only the positive points are found in the article.

Not even a single article provides or suggests a solution.

At the end of the day its just a more improved,researched article version of those moronic India vs Pakistan videos on youtube,comparing the best one with the poorest of another.

If Mr.Haq posts such an article once we Indians wil think it was informative.

If posted twice,we"ll think it was an updated version of his previous article.

But if posted for the nth time,Indians as well as any reader will pay attention to Mr.Haq intent rather than is article.So,naturally most of them aware of this pattern being beat the messenger rather than the message.

The issue of poverty in India(and toilets too :P) on this forum in particular has been mentioned and discussed Ad infinitum.

Every Indian is aware about the poverty in his country as much as the fact he is aware of his nationality.

And yes,those figure have significantly and substantially improved in the past 30 years and are continuing to get better everyday.So there some optimism on the issue.

ontopic

This is 1954

This is 2008,

Things haven't changed for some sections of our society in the last 64 years,and sadly change is not coming to those areas soon enough.

PS:I request fellow Indian members to do either of the two:
*Either debunk the data in the article by finding the true source of it and if the sources are true then discuss the reason as well as solution to it,as this forum is open to many eyes,anyone wanting good knowledge on the issue can refer these posts someday.
*or ignore the thread as this is not a forum to discuss about poverty of nations.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom