What's new

5th-Gen fighter plan hits hurdle as Russia hikes cost ! Chinese Ping Pong ?

Russian cost jacking, delay from their side, but it is corruption of Congress!

Though it has been stated many times, but let me say it again.

Whatever money India paid, was for refit, Migs, missiles etc. Good luck getting a carrier that size in 2 billion USD.

Well you guys paid a hella of a lot more than the Chinese did for Varyag which is more modern and has a larger displacement than Gorshkov

Well you guys paid a hella of a lot more than the Chinese did for Varyag which is more modern and has a larger displacement than Gorshkov

And how much did China paid for everything? The carrier, refit, all systems, aircrafts etc? Cause this was the cost India paid.

The deal was:
On January 20, 2004, after years of negotiations, Russia and India signed a deal for the sale of the ship. The ship was free, while India would pay US$800 million for the upgrade and refit of the ship, as well as an additional US$1 billion for the aircraft and weapons systems. The Navy looked at equipping the carrier with the E-2C Hawkeye, but decided not to.[14] In 2009, Northrop Grumman offered the advanced E-2D Hawkeye to the Indian Navy.[15]

The deal also includes the purchase of 12 single-seat Mikoyan MiG-29K 'Fulcrum-D' (Product 9.41) and 4 dual-seat MiG-29KUB aircraft (with an option for 14 more aircraft) at US$1 billion, 6 Kamov Ka-31 "Helix" reconnaissance and anti-submarine helicopters, torpedo tubes, missile systems, and artillery units. Facilities and procedures for training pilots and technical staff, delivery of simulators, spare parts, and establishment maintenance on Indian Navy facilities are also part of the contract.
The conversion plans for the ship have seen all the armament from the foredeck removed, including the P-500 Bazalt cruise missile launchers and the four Antey Kinzhal surface-to-air missile launchers, to make way for a 14.3° bow ski-jump ramp.

These upgrade plans involve stripping all the weaponry and missile launcher tubes from the ship's foredeck to make way for a Short Take-Off But Assisted Recovery (STOBAR) configuration.[16] This will convert the Gorshkov from a hybrid carrier/cruiser to a pure carrier.

INS Vikramaditya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if India ended up paying 3 billion for complete carrier, it is quite a cheap deal.

And how much did China paid for everything? The carrier, refit, all systems, aircrafts etc? Cause this was the cost India paid.

The deal was:

INS Vikramaditya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even if India ended up paying 3 billion for complete carrier, it is quite a cheap deal.

I don't know the details of the Indian carrier deal, but we just bought a shell, so it's of course cheap. It had nothing in it but rats and roaches when we bought it.

Anyways back on topic.

This doesn't seem like that big a deal, still a capable plane, and this isn't a huge cost and huge wait so seems reasonable. Fifth gen is a lot more difficult even the F-35 had problems and costs.

Besides, India is waiting on a couple of orders of planes, you guys are in no hurry.

P.S. I'm not really sure what China had to do with this.....

sorry i differ russia was the one we trusted in 1971! nd they did a heck of a job keeping USN at bay :agree:

At least for my country, Iran, that's the case.
And this thread is also admitting it.I'm not talking about Soviet Union though, this is about Russian Federation.They are different in many aspects.

At least for my country, Iran, that's the case.
And this thread is also admitting it.I'm not talking about Soviet Union though, this is about Russian Federation.They are different in many aspects.

yeah forgot it was soviet that tym..my bad....but til now they hav ben good for us hope they remain but seriously these delays are affecting our relations! :(

I think this is more of a cooked up story. Because last time I heard the delay was in sharing of work done by HAL alongside Sukhoi. So if the cost is something that we need to concern then the problem is with us.

Lol- it's the Russians- delays and cost escalations are all you're going to get out of them!

There was ZERO need to bring in China into this report- shoddy journalism as usual from the Indian Media.

You forgot yesterday's BS. This thing happens when low IQ Indian journos write articles like this.

P.S. I'm not really sure what China had to do with this.....

Typical Indian journos with zero(may be negative) knowledge. If a frog fa*ts they will call it a bomb blast.

:blah:

When trying to create the next generation of fighter aircraft, delays, hurdles, costs, escalations, setbacks
are common things to encounter.

For example: -

F-35 fighter battles to avoid being shot down by escalating costs

F-22 program produces few planes, soaring costs

^^You can see how much trouble and problems US is having trying to build the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter,
albeit the fact this is not the first time US tried to build a 5th gen plane - the sheer number of technologies
US is trying to bring to the forth with the JSF is holding it down.
@HK Indian MBT

First of all, there is no need to sensationalize the topic. What did you think? Russia/India can get all
the developments done without paying a dime more than expected??

And what? Scrap FGFA just because a few more millions are needed to get the work done? Yeah, right!
Buy into the JSF program of old Uncle Sam and the only news you will ever hear is cost escalation, less
capability than previously thought, complication followed by complication, and yet more cost
escalation.

FGFA is the best defence program India ever invested money in, no matter what anyone thinks, that is the fact.

And please don't give solutions like : scrap FGFA/MMRCA and invest that money in Twin-engine LCA, dude,
what the heck? Do you think these state-run PSUs can deliver something like that? First let them deliver
single-engine Mk-1 and Mk-2.

FGFA/MMRCA and LCA can never be expected to perform the same roles.
@Abingdonboy

Cost escalation is one of the most common problems to encounter when taking part in developing an NG
fighter. There is really no need for such a response.
@ptldM3

Agreed with you. There's no fighter in the world that was developed from the ground-up without any
cost escalation - FGFA atleast offers capability that is actually WORTH the huge money going
in, unlike some of the other 5th gen planes out there...

Last edited by a moderator:

When trying to create the next generation of fighter aircraft, delays, hurdles, costs, escalations, setbacks

For example: -

F-35 fighter battles to avoid being shot down by escalating costs

F-22 program produces few planes, soaring costs

^^You can see how much trouble and problems US is having trying to build the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter,
albeit the fact this is not the first time US tried to build a 5th gen plane - the sheer number of technologies
US is trying to bring to the forth with the JSF is holding it down.
@HK Indian MBT

First of all, there is no need to sensationalize the topic. What did you think? Russia/India can get all
the developments done without paying a dime more than expected??

And what? Scrap FGFA just because a few more millions are needed to get the work done? Yeah, right!
Buy into the JSF program of old Uncle Sam and the only news you will ever hear is cost escalation, less
capability than previously thought, complication followed by complication, and yet more cost
escalation.

FGFA is the best defence program India ever invested money in, no matter what anyone thinks, that is the fact.

And please don't give solutions like : scrap FGFA/MMRCA and invest that money in Twin-engine LCA, dude,
what the heck? Do you think these state-run PSUs can deliver something like that? First let them deliver
single-engine Mk-1 and Mk-2.

FGFA/MMRCA and LCA can never be expected to perform the same roles.
@Abingdonboy

Cost escalation is one of the most common problems to encounter when taking part in developing an NG
fighter. There is really no need for such a response.
@ptldM3

Agreed with you. There's no fighter in the world that was developed from the ground-up without any
cost escalation - FGFA atleast offers capability that is actually WORTH the huge money going
in, unlike some of the other 5th gen planes out there...

F35 is good too. Best avionics and great agility. F22 is best. We come in at no 2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Except there haven't been any reports of problems with PAK-FA development. But to be honest I have not kept abreast of PAK-FA developments.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom