What's new

500 AMRAAM= new MRCA?

network54

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
one of the largest AMRAAM order by PAF in history.. Is it a indication that PAF is also thinking of inducting other western fighter along with F-16? the AMRAAM F-16 ratio in PAF is 7-1.... if we assume the same ratio with JF-17 and FC-20 or even 5-1 thats like 1500-2000 BVR missiles??
I think PAF has yet to play its Gripen card... or maybe waiting for IAF move on its 126 MRCA?

PAF will try to get as much F-16s as it can get. They will put through cheap MLU plan under EDA.. where you have an inventory more than a bang for a buck.

Other possibilities may include using JF-17 as a possible platform for the AMRAAM.

Last edited by a moderator:
one of the largest AMRAAM order by PAF in history.. Is it a indication that PAF is also thinking of inducting other western fighter along with F-16? the AMRAAM F-16 ratio in PAF is 7-1.... if we assume the same ratio with JF-17 and FC-20 or even 5-1 thats like 1500-2000 BVR missiles??
I think PAF has yet to play its Gripen card... or maybe waiting for IAF move on its 126 MRCA?

Its a part of deal , which includes buying 14 used F16 A/B jets, and upgrading them and as well as upgrading current fleet of 32 F16 A/B plus Buying 18 new F16 C/D with an option of 18+.

These missiles will only be used on F16.

PAF are negotiating the purchase of 14 F-16A/B from the USN, but from my understanding the USN seem to be reluctant to give these birds, so if the deal dont go through PAF would have the option to purchase 28 surplus F-16C/D block40 from the USAF and put them through MLU.

Its a part of deal , which includes buying 14 used F16 A/B jets, and upgrading them and as well as upgrading current fleet of 32 F16 A/B plus Buying 18 new F16 C/D with an option of 18+.

These missiles will only be used on F16.

:what: i know this.... my point was... 500 AMRAAM for just 70-100 F-16? their is something more to it..

PAF will try to get as much F-16s as it can get. They will put through cheap MLU plan under EDA.. where you have an inventory more than a bang for a buck.

Other possibilities may include using JF-17 as a possible platform for the AMRAAM.

MICA/SD-10/ sounds enough for medium high tech JF-17s.. my other suspession is the accusation of 5 Erieye which will be linked with f-16s only while only 4 Y-8 AEW for 300 Chines origin fighters??

Pakistan's version of Y-8 will be called ZDK03 and i think both the systems [erieye and zdk03] will be interlinked together through a ground station.

Last edited:
Link 16 is a military inter-computer data exchange format, there cant be a "lack" of it. Perhaps you meant to say that its not compatible with the ZDK03. With regards to that, Pakistan is capabale to produce its own Link 16 equivalent.

Link 16 is a military inter-computer data exchange format, there cant be a "lack" of it. Perhaps you meant to say that its not compatible with the ZDK03. With regards to that, Pakistan is capabale to produce its own Link 16 equivalent.

dude... link 16 is only used by NATO forces.. Sweds have their own in fact multiple system now... their is no way ZDK03 could be data linked with f-16 or Erieye with jf-17 or fc-20 unless western technical help is acquired..

Read the post carefully brother, i said Pakistan can perhaps look to develop its own Link 16 equivalent. Pakistan is looking to fully achieve net-centric warfare capabilities and i doubt the ACM would look to operate two different platforms if it was beyond pakistan to link them.

^^^hopefully the final tally of F-16 A/B , C/D will be 111 a/c. this was the original PAF plan for the peace-gate program. look for it to come to fruitation in the next 2-3 years.

one of the largest AMRAAM order by PAF in history.. Is it a indication that PAF is also thinking of inducting other western fighter along with F-16

Little chance of that as supporting infrastructure would have to be developed from ground up as well as the sunk costs involved in MRO ops.

the AMRAAM F-16 ratio in PAF is 7-1.... if we assume the same ratio with JF-17 and FC-20 or even 5-1 thats like 1500-2000 BVR missiles??

The number of AAMs procured has everything to do with the threat matrix as well as the ROA (rate of attrition) not to mention loss of inventory when things 'heat up'. AMRAAM enables the PAF to shore up a large gap in capability missing for the greater part of the last decade and should be seen as such rather than a precursor to procuring a new type of fighter. Even so, 500 is considerably small considering the nature of the support role the PAF provides (500/72=c.7 warshots per Falcon) not taking into account the likely loss of ammo dumps.

There is no forseeable "Gripen Card" for the PAF reinforced by your AFM's recent interview which I have read with great interest. Systems wise the Gripen would fulfill a niche A2A role -yet funds would dictate a two tier network (Hi-Lo) mix of US-Chinese designs (F-16, J-10, JF-17) up to the 2025-2035 timeframe.

As for the MRCA decision, you'll know things will start heating up when the fly-offs begin. Until then its all news.

Hey jliu welcome back after long time, pl put your comments on indian submarine section as well as what's ur views on PN procurement

we do have H-4 as a BVR..........its r own program!!! and better than AMRAAM

we do have H-4 as a BVR..........its r own program!!! and better than AMRAAM

:what: .... these H series are either joint venture or TOT of south African Denel aerospace program... so far we have only tested H-2 and H-4 which are precision long range glide bombs... they have range of 60-100 Km.. other then that.. PAF is also negotiating R-darter and A-darter air to air missiles 5th generation ASRAAM and BVR.. currently AMRAAM aim-120C5 are the most advance BVR...

Back
Top Bottom