What's new

5,000-year Harappan stepwell found in Kutch, bigger than Mohenjo Daro's

Whoa!!
I think any Indian would be interested in knowing more about the harappan culture.
But a flame bait was posted by a Pakistani member.
The chutzpah shown by him demands that we troll him back.:lol: (I hope you 've watched Haider already otherwise you wont understand what I said just now :P )
i wont watch that muvie,,,,:p:
Any chance this find help in deciphering the writing of this era. If I am not mistaken its still to be cracked
dont think so

AHMEDABAD: A 5,000-year-old stepwell has been found in one of the largest Harappan cities, Dholavira, in Kutch, which is three times bigger than the Great Bath at Mohenjo Daro.

Located in the eastern reservoir of Dholavira by experts from the Archaeological Survey of India working with IIT-Gandhinagar, the site represents the largest, grandest, and the best furnished ancient reservoir discovered so far in the country.

It's rectangular and 73.4m long, 29.3m wide, and 10m deep. Another site, the ornate Rani ki Vav in Patan, called the queen of stepwells, is already on Unesco list.

"This is almost three times bigger than the Great Bath of Mohenjo Daro that's 12m in length, 7m in width, and 2.4m in depth," said V N Prabhakar, visiting faculty at IIT and superintending archaeologist, ASI.

"We will conduct spot analysis in December as various surveys have indicated other reservoirs and stepwells may be buried in Dholavira," Prabhakar told TOI.

"We also suspect a huge lake and an ancient shoreline are buried in the archaeological site that's one of the five largest Harappan sites and the most prominent archaeological site in India belonging to the Indus Valley civilization," he added.

Experts will investigate the advanced hydraulic engineering used by Harappans for building the stepwell through 3D laser scanner, remote sensing technology and ground-penetrating radar system.

View attachment 117391

"We will study how water flowed into the well and what was the idea behind water conservation," said Prabhakar. The IIT Gandhinagar team and ASI officials will also excavate various tanks, stoneware, finely furnished brick blocks, sanitation chambers and semi-precious stones hidden at the site.

Precious stones like carnelian were in great demand during the Harappan era. Gujarat was the hub of bead and craft manufacturing industries. "Agate carnelian beads were also coveted," Prabhakar said.

Siddharth Rai and V Vinod of IIT-Gn are working on characterization of internal structures of various forms of pottery unearthed from the site to identify the diet followed by Harappans. "Through pottery typology, we'll find out whether different communities lived in Dholavira," Rai said. The team will also analyze precious copper and bronze artefacts.
------------------------------------------
@INDIC @save_ghenda @Samandri

the great Indian civilization of Indian people. ;)

i wont watch that muvie,,,,:p:
This is off topic...but i think that movie is a must watch.
It talks about AFSPA and has been shot from a kashmiri muslim's perspective....and also the story of hamlet is adapted in an interesting way.

This is off topic...but i think that movie is a must watch.
It talks about AFSPA and has been shot from a kashmiri muslim's perspective....and also the story of hamlet is adapted in an interesting way.
it is about afspa!!
another reason for me to not watch it,,,,,i know what is afspa first hand,,,mood kharab hoga

ok bhai as your wish..
Mujhe nahi pata tha teri thread sirf 3 logo ke liye thi..sorry
aisi baat nai hae bhai,,,,pehle kum se kum 2 page toh serious discussion ho jaye :)
koi na,,,jo marzi kar,,,,:taz:
we r d flag bearers of indus valley civilization,,,,,:chilli::chilli::chilli:

Our ancestors would be proud, that we have chosen the great Islamic faith, that is the right and just successor to the IVC.
FYI those great pagan civilization is still continuing which is hinduism in india

(harappan pic) Pashupatinath (shiva)
852ef695806a7f9739ed0f410e173f40.jpg

Clearly the people of the great ancient civilization were aware of the divine wonder called Pakistan that would come into existence in 1947 and decided to restrict their civilization within the boundary of the chosen nation.

Civilization is not restricted by today's borders off course.

However Large river valleys are the birthplace and seat of great civilization.

For example

-- Euphrates + Tigris valley civilization! Part of Modern day Iraq, or modern day Iran, or modern day turkey?

--- Nile valley civilization! Part of modern day Egypt, or modern day Sudan, or Chad, or Libya

So please do not react negatively if someone uses very similar approach to own an old civilization.

thank you

mohenjodaro and harappa are expansion of India. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

India is the beneficiary of expansion by Sindh valley civilization.

you meray bhai, are putting cart before the cow.

Sorry to see.

India is the beneficiary of expansion by Sindh valley civilization.
you meray bhai, are putting cart before the cow.
Sorry to see.

Read about it properly particularly the last days, and Indians are the truest inheritor of Indus-Saraswati civilization, you only have materialistic claim on Indus valley civilization. ;)

haso mat!!! Pakistani civilization is so old that they even forgot how old it is!!!!

kitna old. :sarcastic:

We don't even know if Harappa is the largest or more prominent of all the settlement, it is just that we found it in good shape because of less weathering coz' of desertification of the environment.

Harappa was the first site and thus all of it was called Harappa civilization, there are more sites on the dried banks on Ghaggar-Hakra river than Indus river. Ghaggar-Hakra is identified as the Saraswati of Rigveda.

Just realised that the rest of us are uninvited guests :lol:

@halupridol tagged me and save_ghenda for infinite trolling he wants to enjoy. :disagree::disagree:

Back
Top Bottom