What's new

4 Minerva Class corvettes to join Bangladesh Coast Guard

Nah, better to get real warships like more Type 056 corvettes / Durjoy LPCs for lateral waters and Type 54As / Incheons etc for protection of the vital Singapore trade routes. As i said the Island / castles are stopgap vessels until we build the capacity of KSY to build our own ships.
Minerva's ARE the realest of warships in this discussion, very comparable to Type 056s.

BN could easily hand over Island class ships to coast guard and acquire Minerva class corvettes for larger role of Ashw/Asw. But coast guard maybe has more job than navy such as chase bad guys fast and to have modern facilities to launch smaller boats. Last year it was shame they couldnt keep in check human smuggler pirate boats. Notably Island class and Minerva class both were used for sea policing or fishery protection. Where Minerva class has top speed and less range.
This is why coast guard and other 'policing ships' need helicopters and organic fast boats (ribs). Neither Minerva's, not Type 056, nor Castle and Island class can match smuggler fast boats. With the possible exception of LCS and fast attack or fast patrol craft (e.g. Skjold, Shaldag), no corvettes/frigates/destroyers/cruisers can.

If it has already been refitted, then why is going into phase 2 refit so soon?
e.g. weapons versus sensors.?

What?!

Why on earth would such a potent ship go to BCG? I mean i have nothing against it but would have been better for the BN.

Cheers!!!

What?!

Why on earth would such a potent ship go to BCG? I mean i have nothing against it but would have been better for the BN.

Cheers!!!

Welcome back bro! :-)

Looks like I have superseded you as Lt. Commander. :yay:

This is why coast guard and other 'policing ships' need helicopters and organic fast boats (ribs). Neither Minerva's, not Type 056, nor Castle and Island class can match smuggler fast boats. With the possible exception of LCS and fast attack or fast patrol craft (e.g. Skjold, Shaldag), no corvettes/frigates/destroyers/cruisers can.

6484962-3x2-940x627.jpg

These are the standard pirate boat here. Cant Minerva chase them? Helicopters will be helpful with the smaller fast boats. Hope that small heli can be used on Minervas. Issue here isnt with the fast boats as the somali pirates have. But fishing trawlers. And for fast attack there are other smaller additions in BCG.

List of ships of the Bangladesh Coast Guard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6484962-3x2-940x627.jpg

These are the standard pirate boat here. Cant Minerva chase them? Helicopters will be helpful with the smaller fast boats. Hope that small heli can be used on Minervas. Issue here isnt with the fast boats as the somali pirates have. But fishing trawlers. And for fast attack there are other smaller additions in BCG.

Now sure how reliable Wiki is but, apparently we have a mere amount of 24 small/fast crafts. Not at all enough for keeping the shores safe.

We need loads of them. Hell, we can even build them at our normal docs.

Cheers!!!

6484962-3x2-940x627.jpg

Sorry but earlier YOU posted:

"BN could easily hand over Island class ships to coast guard and acquire Minerva class corvettes for larger role of Ashw/Asw. But coast guard maybe has more job than navy such as chase bad guys fast and to have modern facilities to launch smaller boats. Last year it was shame they couldnt keep in check human smuggler pirate boats. Notably Island class and Minerva class both were used for sea policing or fishery protection. Where Minerva class has top speed and less range."

Source: 4 Minerva Class corvettes to join Bangladesh Coast Guard | Page 15

Thus suggesting the present ships are too slow. I'm merely pointing out smuggling boats for e.g. drugs tend to be much faster than most navy ships, including frigates > i.e. 40-50 knot powerboats. That of course is not the same for a boat smuggling people, as there space will be premium, not speed.

Go-fast-boat.jpg

Sorry but earlier YOU posted:

"BN could easily hand over Island class ships to coast guard and acquire Minerva class corvettes for larger role of Ashw/Asw. But coast guard maybe has more job than navy such as chase bad guys fast and to have modern facilities to launch smaller boats. Last year it was shame they couldnt keep in check human smuggler pirate boats. Notably Island class and Minerva class both were used for sea policing or fishery protection. Where Minerva class has top speed and less range."

Source: 4 Minerva Class corvettes to join Bangladesh Coast Guard | Page 15

Thus suggesting the present ships are too slow. I'm merely pointing out smuggling boats for e.g. drugs tend to be much faster than most navy ships, including frigates > i.e. 40-50 knot powerboats. That of course is not the same for a boat smuggling people, as there space will be premium, not speed.

Go-fast-boat.jpg
Do elaborate how these high speed boats are intercepted. :cheers:

baseline.jpg

Have the Offshore Patrol Cutters been commissioned yet? I heard some were being built...

I can't read the small print. It says...(Under Con....)??
The U.S. Coast Guard awarded three firm fixed-price contracts on 11 February 2014 for preliminary & contract design (P&CD) for the Offshore Patrol Cutter (OPC) acquisition project under Request for Proposal (RFP) HSCG23-12-R-OPC001. The contracts were awarded to Bollinger Shipyards Lockport, LLC (Lockport, LA), Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Inc. (Panama City, FL), and General Dynamics, Bath Iron Works (Bath, ME). This was a full and open competition. This award initiates Phase I of a two-phased competition. During Phase I, the contractors will mature the proposed designs they submitted in response to the OPC solicitation issued by the Coast Guard. The preliminary and contract designs will be evaluated by the Coast Guard and one contractor will be selected to continue into Phase II (detail design and construction). The Phase II option exercise for detailed design is planned for FY16 and will include additional options for production of the lead OPC and up to ten additional OPCs. This phased competition maximizes affordability by maintaining a competitive environment during Phase I of the acquisition.
Offshore Patrol Cutter (OPC) Maritime Security Cutter Medium WMSM

Planning
Hull No. WMEC 1
Ship Name TBD
Builder
TBD
Laid Down 2015
Launch 2017
Comm 2018
Offshore Patrol Cutter (OPC) WMSM Maritime Security Cutter Medium

Somebody post the pic of Kamorta class

The Lungis need to understand what India Considers a Corvette

Maybe then they can stop bragging about their second hand Italian fishing Trauler
Can't spell "trawler" and you came here to troll.WOW...What an idiot

Can't spell "trawler" and you came here to troll.WOW...What an idiot

You have to understand that these Hindutva idiots belong mostly to the uneducated underclass. The fact that the Internet got democratized does not mean their opinions all of a sudden matter a whole lot more.

In fact if you saw these idiots on the street you'd have second thoughts about talking to his ilk....

I'm not a super-classist person but there are such things called 'auqat' and 'meritocracy'...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom