What's new

4 contenders left in fray for India's mega submarine project after Japan, Spain opt out

Link is not working. But I looked this up:

A$50 billion is roughly around US$39 billion. Its for 12 subs to be built from 2030 to 2050, equating to $2.25 billion each :o: which makes no sense as the Aussis have picked a diesel version of a French nuke sub where the larger more capable nuke sub itself is cheaper o_O

Seems that both Indians and the Aussies have gone mad! For this kind of money they can buy the latest nuke attack subs, or buy a whole carrier group :hitwall:

First you were saying there were corruption and now you are saying they are mad. Don't you think you should give a read to the ongoing submarine procurements throughout the globe or Do you want me to post more such examples here?

Germany said to approve controversial submarine deal with Israel
Understanding enables Berlin to withdraw if there are new developments in corruption case surrounding the naval vessels

The three additional submarines will cost 2 billion euros. All changes in the MOU were done at Berlin’s behest, Channel 2 reported.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/germany-approves-controversial-submarine-deal-with-israel/

and these subs to be made in Germany means no TOT involved

Maybe it's more related to the Scorpene data leak that forced IN to re-consider this proposal as there is also a follow on order option to order more Scorpenes. Moreover, IN should ask DCNS to field the diesel version of their Shortfin Barracuda that Australia opted for in the next tender or Thyssenkrupp's HDW type-216

I don't think thats the case because the project got clearance from Defence Acquisition Council In October 2014 way before the leaks.

Some pretty strong firms still there. I'm surprised the Japanese opted out considering the strong ties between the two nations. This would have been a great chance to get their defence industry up and running, especially after the UK rejection of their ASW aircraft.

Some pretty strong firms still there. I'm surprised the Japanese opted out considering the strong ties between the two nations. This would have been a great chance to get their defence industry up and running, especially after the UK rejection of their ASW aircraft.
Honestly speaking, it will be sometime before India and Japan actually start signing some defence deals. Do recall Japan was requested to respond to RFI at a very late stage and I'm not sure Japan was in any position to respond to the request.
Defence purchase contracts with Japan will come but Japan will want some kind of political consensus domestically for such agreements.

I heard japan wants anybsub deal with them to be done thri govt to govt deals like with the light mobile artillery gun contract

WTF nearly $11 billion for just 6 subs :o: have you guys gone mad!? You bought 6 Scorpene subs for a little more than a quarter that price just a few years ago. Why pay so much more now!?

And this is coming from a Pakistani. I usually don't mind India wasting money but damn even I have to question you guys on this proposal.

Good point. But the price is more than fair. The reason is that sub manufacturers need a "destroying the reputation cost" when selling subs to India. India will miss manage the weapon system such as blow up a sub in the dock. This could lead to the loss of credibility for the weapon system and its manufacturer, which lead to loss of future sales. So the manufacturer need to guard against that cost up front. This is why India need to pay a premium.

No firms would opt out for no reason unless the customer's requirements are over the top

India need to pay a premium for destroying the reputation of whoever it bought the weapon from. As your signature said.

Last edited:
Good point. But the price is more than fair. The reason is that sub manufacturers need a "destroying the reputation cost" when selling subs to India. India will miss manage the weapon system such as blow up a sub in the lock. This could lead to the loss of credibility, which lead to loss of future sales for who ever that sold the subs to India. So the manufacturer need to guard against that cost up front. This is why India need to pay a premium
India need to pay a premium for destroying the reputation of whoever it bought the weapon from. As your signature said.

This Forum is Now Banana Forum...
Chinese and Pakistanis are Open to troll with No Control...

The Number of Accidents Russians and Yanks have had --- this means they are Worst Sea-Men (??!!)

ACCIDENT ratio is always calculated on SORTIE RATIO----- You dont even know Basic Stats before making any Comment.

You are feeling Proud your Nation Concels their accidents because of Tight control on media. Till Now your nation has not even revealed number of losses in 1954 Campaign...forget Tienmen Masacare.

A Nation using 30 Diesel Subs of Romeo Class in Todays age -- WHat more to Say on Safety to Sortie Ratio !!

Last edited:
The aussie ships are so expensive because they have 0 experience in building subs the past 30 years.

Good point. But the price is more than fair. The reason is that sub manufacturers need a "destroying the reputation cost" when selling subs to India. India will miss manage the weapon system such as blow up a sub in the lock. This could lead to the loss of credibility, which lead to loss of future sales for who ever that sold the subs to India. So the manufacturer need to guard against that cost up front. This is why India need to pay a premium.

Lol! That is actually a very valid point :laughcry:

Back
Top Bottom