What's new

4,000 Sikhs reach Pakistan for Nanak's birth anniversary

unicorn

Reaction score
1290128043-Gurupurab%202010%20345.JPG

Islamabad, Nov 19 (IANS) Over 4,000 Sikh pilgrims reached Pakistan by special trains through the Wagah border Friday to attend the 541st birth anniversary celebrations Nov 21 of Guru Nanak, the first guru of Sikhism, at hi birthplace

Tight security arrangements were made at the Wagah border near Lahore as the visiting pilgrims went through the customs and immigration.

The visitors were visibly happy to reach their destination for the highest religious pilgrimage for Sikhs.

They were greeted on their arrival at the Wagah railway station by the president of the Pakistan Sikh Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, Sardar Sham Singh, and officials of the Evacuee Trust Property Board.

The visitors told IANS that both countries needed to make visa policies more flexible to allow more people to cross over for such religious activities.

'We are satisfied with the arrangements made for us and feel no security threat as such,' one of the pilgrims said.

Asif Hashmi, chairman of the Evacuee Trust Property Board, said proper security arrangements have been made for the guests to avoid any untoward situation.

'Officials have been deputed at each pilgrimage site to help the Sikh pilgrims wherever they travel during their 10-day stay in the country,' he said.

The Sikh pilgrims will take part in the birthday celebrations Nov 21 in Nankana Sahib, the birthplace of Guru Nanak Dev and the most revered pilgrimage site for Sikhs. They will later visit Hassan Abdal, Sacha Sauda and Aimen Abad and other religious sites. The pilgrims will return to India Nov 29.

I appreciate for being so considerate about the situation from the people of Pakistan. :cheers:

Hope everytin goes in peace.

PHO-09Apr16-158426.jpg

punjab.jpg

Two jathas of NRI Sikhs left for Pakistan to visit Sikh shrines there and to participate in the birth anniversary celebrations of Guru Nanak Dev.

Sikh%2Bbusinessman%2Bin%2Bhis%2Bshop%2Bin%2BPeshawar.jpg

Sitting on a broken chair outside a Sikh temple in a crowded part of Peshawar, Aman Deep Singh

5e02ace745b7d1ad9d972c5991076656.jpg

Pakistan Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani shakes hands with Sikh pilgrims who called on him at the Prime Minister House in Islamabad

2007041313000101.jpg

MIRANSAHIB: A Muslim brother was reunited with his Sikh family after 60 years on Thursday.

Sheikh Aziz, a resident of Rawalakot town in ***************** Kashmir, was finally given permission to meet his Sikh family living in Miransahib, a border town on the periphery of Jammu city.

Sheikh Aziz, whose real name is Paramjeet Singh, was separated from his father in 1947. At the time of Partition, a part of the family was living in Peshawar city of North West Frontier Province, now in Pakistan, as Chhatar Singh, father of Sheikh Aziz, was posted in the State Revenue Department there while his three sons were living in Rawalakot.

Chhatar Singh could not go to *** when the communal riots broke out to collect his three sons. He saved his life, fleeing to India, via the Wagah route.

Harbans Singh, who was born on the Indian side of the border, says, "My father often used to talk about his three sons living in Rawalakot. Some time before he died in 1985 he was finally able to trace the whereabouts of his three sons in *** and tried to go there but his attempts failed due to the animosity between the two countries then."

His father had sought a vow from him at his deathbed that "I would find and invite my brothers living in ***".

Jubilant at meeting one of his brothers, he says, "Today I have fulfilled the promise given to my father. It is certainly the happiest day of my life."

Sheikh Aziz has now invited Harbans Singh to meet the rest of his family in ***. Sheikh Aziz says, "I want Harbans to meet my family living in Rawalakot."

796px-Samadhi_of_Ranjit_Singh_July_1_2005.jpg

The Samadhi of Ranjit Singh is the mausoleum of the Sikh ruler Maharaja Ranjit Singh. It is located near the Lahore Fort and Badshahi Mosque in Lahore, Pakistan. Construction was started by his son, Kharak Singh on the spot where he was cremated, and was completed by his youngest son, Duleep Singh in 1848.

800px-Tomb_of_Ranjit_Singh%2C_Lahore.jpg

Tomb of Ranjit Singh, Lahore

450px-PanjaSahibExterior1.JPG

PanjaSahibExterior

ਸਬ ਨੁ ਗੁਰਪੁਰਬ ਢੀ ਲਖ ਲਖ ਵਧ।ਈ ਹੋਵੇ

happy gurpurab to all

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Minorities Affairs Shahbaz Bhatti has felicitated Sikh Yatrees on the occasion of birth anniversary of Baba Guru Nanak Dev Ji and extended his warm wishes to all Sikh Yatrees.

In a statement, the minister said on Sunday that Pakistani doors are open for the Sikh Yatrees from around the world, they can come here freely and can perform their religious activities. He said that Baba Guru Nanak propagated the message of the religious tolerance, humanity equality and harmony.

He said that Pakistan is sacred country for all religious communities and there are many scared places in Pakistan and in this regard government is making a high level project for the promotion of religious tourism.

Pakistani Sikhs are patriotic and always contribute and make their best efforts for the betterment and reconstruction of the country, Sikh marriage act will be presented in the parliament soon, he added.

Shabaz Bhatti said that government is making personal laws for the protection of minorities. He said that religious tolerance is a need of time. He said that every religion teaches us peace, humanity and equality.

The minister said that ministry of minorities affairs is publishing a religious literature on the extracts from holy books of all religions. This literature will work to eliminate religious intolerance, prejudice and misconception from all over the country.

He said that special initiatives have been taken for the Sikh Yatrees for performing their religious rituals, and they can celebrate them openly.

Special initiatives taken by Pakistan to facilitate Sikh Yatrees

hope to visit there sometime.

Yes my friend , you are always welcome . When you come i will be there to recieve you , and you will be my guest . There is a great respect for all the sikh followers in pakistan . All the muslims especially pakistanis have great honour and respect for all the GURUS of sikh followers . Especially BABA GURUNAKAK Sahib is widely respected for all his teachings and his life which he led for a noble cause.

Back
Top Bottom