3G spectrum licenses auction concludes:Live Updates

farhan_9909

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
liveupdates_zpscf675352.jpg

2 Minutes Old Update

According to an information and communications technology (ICT) expert, the auction is going according to PTA’s expectations and the government is likely to generate revenue between $1.2 billion and $1.5 billion.

The expert added that currently the operators are bidding on 10MHz blocks (A and D) and once the the companies feel they could lose out in the bid, they will then switch to the 5MHz blocks (B and C) which have not shown any change throughout the three rounds.

1:25pm

In the third round, PTA received a total bid of $896.8 million. The bid for lot A increased by $5.9 million. The results can be viewed below:

Total bid of $896.8m in 3rd phase of spectrum auction: Live updates – The Express Tribune

Few hours earlier they were expecting 1Billion dollars and some even less than 900Million dollars max but due to the bidding increase to almost 900Million dollars now,They are expecting atleast 1.2Billion dollars and upto 1.5Billion dollars.

I was about to create this thread after being surprised that nobody cared to follow this auction

You can see live results by following this link

Spectrum Auction Results - Next Generation Mobile Services in Pakistan

Round 4 is completed, now awaiting results for Round 5

Few hours earlier they were expecting 1Billion dollars and some even less than 900Million dollars max but due to the bidding increase to almost 900Million dollars now,They are expecting atleast 1.2Billion dollars and upto 1.5Billion dollars.
Actually it was estimated to be between 1.3 billion dollars to 2 billion dollars. I think even 2 billion dollars was supposed to be a fair amount as we are a nation of 200 million people with perhaps half of the population using mobile phones.

It is the news reporting agencies who did not take the auction so seriously and created pessimistic environment. I still believe it should go above 1.3 billion dollars as expected by the Government earlier.

On top of that, this is both 3G and 4G Auction. India gathered about 18 billion dollars in both 3G and 4G auctions. Population wise if we are 6/7 times smaller than India it's still 3 billion dollars we should have been targeting as we share similar number of mobile and broadband users in Pakistan.

Last edited:
Any idea,How much time will it take for us to have 3g on our mobile phone's active?

Any idea,How much time will it take for us to have 3g on our mobile phone's active?
Depends on your city?

If it's one of the capital... Then weeks time I think..

If just a major city then probably next year

Is there a coverage map available? Great news for Pakistan....ready knowledge for the masses.

I read on the other thread where it says companies are bound to provide 3G services within four days.

I read on the other thread where it says companies are bound to provide 3G services within four days.
And I had read somewhere that if Mobilink wins this auction they will provide service in June...

Although Mobilink is the biggest network in Pakistan I think Telenor and Zong will give them a tough time.. Telenor being a Norwegian company and probably having the best network service in Pakistan and Zong being part of the World's largest mobile network and a Chinese company

Not to forget that users of Telenor had reported 3G service in different parts of the country when they were allowed to experiment and were providing test service... I believe same would have had happen for the other networks too... And that also means the facility is already there

Aether: 5567160 said:
And I had read somewhere that if Mobilink wins this auction they will provide service in June...

Although Mobilink is the biggest network in Pakistan I think Telenor and Zong will give them a tough time.. Telenor being a Norwegian company and probably having the best network service in Pakistan and Zong being part of the World's largest mobile network and a Chinese company

Not to forget that users of Telenor had reported 3G service in different parts of the country when they were allowed to experiment and were providing test service... I believe same would have had happen for the other networks too... And that also means the facility is already there
But I still believe telenor will have the best Quality of 3G service than Mobilink I still remember those days when telenor launched Edge and no other service provider had that technology for a year or so. Or may be I am honest telenor customer or a fanboy. :)

at the moment bidding is being done for 3g only. lets wait and see what happens in 4G. i dont think it will cross the 1 billion mark in 3g 2100mhz portion.
it seems only two companies want the larger bandwidth while the other two will be taking back seat.
i think we shall get around 1.4-1.5 billion dollars looking that baseline price of 4g is 210 million dollars.

govt didnt do much to convince foreign companies to come, they should have given those companies a grace period of 4-6 months to set up 2g while allowing all companies to lauch 3G together in oct-nov.
rather govt refused to gave grace period in already saturated market.

It is being said that corporate clients and post paid customers are expected to be offered next generation services first and the prepaid customers would be given this facility in second phase.
Secondly the tariff would be three times higher and the date may also be limited.
Thirdly , in the first phase the service would be available in federal and provincial capitals only and would be expanded to other cities in the later phase. And in the total four years it would be expanded to 90% of the country's population.
And then the more the govt is going to earn from the auction the higher would be the tariff in first phase.

at the moment bidding is being done for 3g only. lets wait and see what happens in 4G. i dont think it will cross the 1 billion mark in 3g 2100mhz portion.
it seems only two companies want the larger bandwidth while the other two will be taking back seat.
i think we shall get around 1.4-1.5 billion dollars looking that baseline price of 4g is 210 million dollars.

govt didnt do much to convince foreign companies to come, they should have given those companies a grace period of 4-6 months to set up 2g while allowing all companies to lauch 3G together in oct-nov.
rather govt refused to gave grace period in already saturated market.
actually there are few good things done by the government and few really bad

For example

Positives
  • At last we had an auction (waiting for this moment since 2007)
  • 4G Auction is a big bonus considering we were not even getting 3G before
  • At last the Government took serious steps to resolve disputes
  • At last all the serious companies were pursued, invited and well clarified about what they will be getting
  • At last we are seeing some sort transparency in the whole bidding process (and you never know what comes next after a month or so.. "controversy"?)
Negatives
  • Although the major companies were pursued but we should have made some more effort to have at least 5 contenders
  • The Government shouldn't have set the target of 1.3 billion dollars as that becomes physiological figure in the minds of the bidders. I wouldn't mind if they had said 3 billion dollars and later missed the target. I know our political culture is such that every party would have grilled them for missing the target but you never know if that would have helped raise few hundred million dollars in the final price

Very bad that no bid took place in Round 5. That means the companies seems to have made their mind. I think they will increase few million dollars in the last round.. and may skip round 6 and 7 as well...

Round 5 is gone without price change :(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom