What's new

300 Pakistani Foreign dreamers drown in Mediterranean ocean en route to Europe (so they can hear bad mouthing from khawaja asif)

Greece boat disaster: Trafficking suspects plead not guilty​

BBC

The boat under search lights

A picture of the fishing boat in the hours before it sank
By Sofia Bettiza & George Wright

BBC News in Kalamata and London

Nine Egyptian men accused of causing a disaster last week when a vessel carrying hundreds of migrants sank off the Greek coast have pleaded not guilty.

The nine suspects - all aged between 20 and 40 - are accused of people-smuggling and other offences.

A lawyer for one of the men said his client was a passenger, not a smuggler.
At least 78 people are known to have died in the disaster but many more are feared to have drowned.

The UN's human rights office says that up to 500 people are still missing.

The BBC has obtained evidence casting doubt on the Greek coastguard's account of the shipwreck.

Analysis of the movement of other ships in the area suggests the overcrowded fishing vessel was not moving for at least seven hours before it capsized. But coastguard still claims that during these hours the boat was on a course to Italy and not in need of rescue.

Greek officials maintain those on board said they did not want help and were not in danger until just before their boat sank.

The nine suspects all appeared at the Kalamata Court on Monday to face charges of negligent manslaughter, exposing lives to danger, causing a shipwreck and human trafficking.

Alexandros Dimaresis, a lawyer for one of the accused, said that his client was innocent and "paid the smugglers to be taken to Europe".

"He is not a smuggler himself. He was just a passenger," Mr Dimaresis said outside court.

The suspects will be back in court on Tuesday, when it will be decided whether they will remain in jail until the start of the trial.

Meanwhile, Pakistani authorities have arrested 14 people in connection with the alleged trafficking of several migrants who drowned in the disaster.

The government in Islamabad has ordered a high-level inquiry to investigate the human trafficking network thought to be involved, a statement from Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif's office said.

At least 21 of those who are missing came from the Kotli district in Pakistan's part of the Himalayan Kashmir region, police said. Two of the 12 Pakistanis who survived the sinking also came from the same town.

Since the fishing boat carrying up to 750 people went down 50 nautical miles off Pylos in southern Greece, the role of the coastguard has come under increasing scrutiny.

The UN has called for an investigation into Greece's handling of the disaster, amid claims more action should have been taken earlier to initiate a full-scale rescue attempt.

It's primarily the govt of countries these unfortunate people belonged to. May they get peace in death.

RIP, these smugglers who fit people into these boats like cattle must be held accountable.

Yar main aik baat khaoon logon ko buri to Laga gi but I am in student consultancy line myself for last 10 years and I have witnessed first hand that when you try to give accurate information to people they don't want to take it and instead find shortcuts, "Sir IELTS ka bagair kerwa dain" sir koi or visa nahi ha app ka pass? Sir koi rishta kerwa dain main kharcha uthaon ga, I mean seriously 😒.
Ajeeb o gareeb kisim ka log bun ga hain hum. Apna haq ka lia khara hona nahi, jaiz tareeqa sa bahir jana ki kooshh kerni nahi, lakhoon ruppa da ker jaan ki baazi harna manzoor ha.
If people remember not to long ago another boat also met similar faith while going to Italy. Did that deter people? No! Hum log khud apna sub sa bara dushman hain.
Pakistan ka to baraghark ho he gaya ha, but hum main sa her banda is ka responsible ha because hum na Kuch kia nahi Isa badlna ka lia.

Yar main aik baat khaoon logon ko buri to Laga gi but I am in student consultancy line myself for last 10 years and I have witnessed first hand that when you try to give accurate information to people they don't want to take it and instead find shortcuts, "Sir IELTS ka bagair kerwa dain" sir koi or visa nahi ha app ka pass? Sir koi rishta kerwa dain main kharcha uthaon ga, I mean seriously 😒.
Ajeeb o gareeb kisim ka log bun ga hain hum. Apna haq ka lia khara hona nahi, jaiz tareeqa sa bahir jana ki kooshh kerni nahi, lakhoon ruppa da ker jaan ki baazi harna manzoor ha.
If people remember not to long ago another boat also met similar faith while going to Italy. Did that deter people? No! Hum log khud apna sub sa bara dushman hain.
Pakistan ka to baraghark ho he gaya ha, but hum main sa her banda is ka responsible ha because hum na Kuch kia nahi Isa badlna ka lia.
You have that experience with Students, I have that experience with educated family members, I don't know why but for Pakistanis shortcuts are a way of life.
I know doctors and engineers who ask the same thing, how can I move aboard without complying with the requirements. I have money can I not buy my way out of this. This mentality needs to change - and change fast.

Take my opinion for what it is worth. I do not live in Pakistan. life in Pakistan is not that bad to risk this kind of journey. I realize it is easy for me to say sitting in America

may be young people are not motivated to work hard and to make smart choices

27 of the young guys who died are from villages in the sub district of Khuiratta in AJK. There is nothing that passes for education in these parts, those who have family abroad can send them money and they can afford to move to Pakistani cities to study and live in hostels. The only economic opportunity in Khuiratta is goat herding, farming the few strips of land your family owns, maybe labouring somewhere, or driving for foreign families who visit Pakistan, have cars, but aren't comfortable driving in the chaotic traffic.

There is no private sector, the only commerce is the bare essentials, a few small hole in the wall grocery stores, the odd restaurant and clothes shops etc. They are all owned by the people that run them. These people leave out of pure desperation. Pakistan is a country where people with degrees in engineering, the STEM subjects etc are all sat around jobless - Bumpkin Bashir from the village has no chance of competing. People pay 100's of thousands of ruppees in bribes to get basic government jobs - knowing that at least it'll give them the opportunity to earn.

27 of the young guys who died are from villages in the sub district of Khuiratta in AJK. There is nothing that passes for education in these parts, those who have family abroad can send them money and they can afford to move to Pakistani cities to study and live in hostels. The only economic opportunity in Khuiratta is goat herding, farming the few strips of land your family owns, maybe labouring somewhere, or driving for foreign families who visit Pakistan, have cars, but aren't comfortable driving in the chaotic traffic.

There is no private sector, the only commerce is the bare essentials, a few small hole in the wall grocery stores, the odd restaurant and clothes shops etc. They are all owned by the people that run them. These people leave out of pure desperation. Pakistan is a country where people with degrees in engineering, the STEM subjects etc are all sat around jobless - Bumpkin Bashir from the village has no chance of competing. People pay 100's of thousands of ruppees in bribes to get basic government jobs - knowing that at least it'll give them the opportunity to earn.
Perfectly described the failed state that has taken shape.

No opportunities, everyone running abroad, dead ended pyramid of promotion, massive separation of government and the average civilian etc.
I have no idea how people can still say that this nation is functioning. Apart from the major cities, people are still living medievally and in their own tiny neighbourhoods, struggling to survive.

Answer the question. Is the Greek coastguard lying? Did they watch how children and women drowned?

Is the UN and BBC lying?
Man I was listening to Wajahat Khan's podcast this morning, its horrifying to know that women and children were already dying, that is even before the boat capsized as they were suffering from asphyxiation. How horrible it is !!!! how can these traffickers make money like this !!!

He said something chilling, that made me wonder if its true. He says the coast guard deliberately capsized the boat, in the name of tugging it or something.

He said something chilling, that made me wonder if its true. He says the coast guard deliberately capsized the boat, in the name of tugging it or something.
The Coast Guard wasn't there when it capsized.

Ok I was referring to this podcast below, that's what he says. If true its horrible man

You think the government would do this,when they have saved thousands and thousands of lives at sea,all these years?

And especially two weeks before elections? That's why the leftist parties and NGOs are taking advantage of this now. They want to attack the government,because we have elections on Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom